Difference between CHORUS I + CORNWALL ?

DANOCASTER

Can anyone tell me the basic differences between the CHORUS I and the CORNWALL??. I've been told that the Chorus Is are basically the same thing- but in a smaller cabinet to help consumer appeal. Yet the CW is so much more sought after. The spk layout is the same isnt it ? Crossover differences ?? If you can, please lemme know..

This message has been edited by DANOCASTER on 08-01-2002 at 08:44 PM

They are both 3 way, bass reflex speakers with horn squawker and tweeter. Other than that, they are completely different. The Cornwall shares its components with the rest of the Heritage line and is therefore a good sonic match for that line. The Chorus uses different components and is not as good a sonic match for the Heritage line.

You can check the specs for these speakers on this site's products->home audio->classic series page.

The Chorus I shares the same drivers as the Cornwall II. K57 mid, K79 tweeter. The Cornwall II uses a K33 woofer, the Chorus I uses a K48 which is the same woofer as used in the Pro Series KP-301. Excellent woofer. Very tight. Much tighter than the K33 although it does not have that "boom". Both are great speakers!!

Actually, the CHORUS is what I listen to the most- simply b/c of where they are. The bigger spks have to go downstairs and so arent used as often. I just think I may really like Cornballs b/c I love the Chorus................BUT....SPEAKING OF DEALS...I have a lead on a pair of horns - so cheap you'd laugh. If that happens- I'll need to sell these LaScalas(the latest Raw Birch pair from '76)fast. But I'd like to get $500 outta them... any takers??

Dano,

I've heard Chorus I's and Cornwalls extensively and can give you some idea about the difference in sound. (First, let me say I do like both loud speakers.)

IMHO, the Chorus has a "shorter throw" to the midrange horn sound, whereas the Cornwall midrange has a "longer throw." The Cornwall sounds more foward in the mids and the sound seems to carry further (exponential vs. tractix??). If your listening spot is quite close to the speakers, the Chorus midrange may be preferable. If you sit back from your speakers, the Cornwalls will probably please you more. Also, the bass in the Chorus is a little tighter than the Cornwall, but the Cornwalls bass has a good bit more deep extension and sounds more powerful. The highs from each are similar. Overall, the Chorus is smoother, but the Cornwalls have a greater "WOW" factor and generally sound like a larger speaker (I guess because it is larger). My personal preference is the Cornwall. But, as always, let your own ears be the judge.

Regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-02-2002 at 05:01 PM

Johnellis holly **** you posted!

Ive been trying to get ahold of you call me this weekend, so i can swap the chorus grille!!

Ive had and listened to both speakers, cornwalls are better! THANK YOU!

K-horns are coming in feb! Of coarse if john would contact me, i might go another way LOL!

Regards Jim

Again from a personal choice here..mine...

The cornwalls sound better than the Belles, and La Scalas, and closer to the KHorns as you can get.

I think they are by far the most saught after (Early Cornwall 1's that is) on eBay. If you scored a pair, I really would be hard pressed that you would NOT like them.

Think of the best sound - lows to highs - on a BIG pair of speakers...That you can put in a corner...Or a Wall..thus Cornwall. < Paul Klipsch was pretty straight forward in those days naming speakers...LOL>

Let me know what you think.

Danocaster:

Whatever well you are drinking out of down there in Tennessee, keep drinking out of it. You are on a roll down there. How the hell are so many cheap used Klipsch down there?? If you see a set of reasonably priced Belles (or just one Belle for that matter), let me knowSmile.gif

I do agree with Indy too - the Cornwall is the cat's meow for a full range main - and is much easier to deal with than Khorns. For mains, I like Cornwalls and Khorns, but the price/performance/placement champ is the Cornwall.

If you like Chorus, you'll love the Cornwall.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I guess I'll throw mine out there. I own Chorus I's and La Scala's. I also had a pair of Chorus II's, which I sold in order to buy the La Scala's. I do not own Cornwalls, but have heard them many times... once while comparing the La Scala.

In my opinion, the La Scala is by far the better speaker. Every ear is different and mine preferred the La Scala. Mind you, I was comparing a '82 Cornwall with a '86 La Scala... probably the least desired La Scala made with the AL crossovers. The La Scala was smoother and more dynamic, tighter in the bass and a little more forward in the mids. This was with a 3.5w pair of tube monoblocks. With SS it could have been a different result.

BTW, I still love my Chorus's and think it's the best bang for the buck out there...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

NOS440: Regarding Danocaster's latest comment, I guess that's the price you pay for getting such a good deal! Enjoy those Scalas!

Danocaster: Have you found my Belles yet?cwm1.gif Keep drinking that water!

Mike Lindsay: Purely from a sound standpoint, I like LaScalas too (although the Cornwalls go lower in the bass, so it's a trade between horn loaded vs. lower bass). However, LaScalas suck up room space big time! The nice thing about the Cornwall is they are more space friendly for such a large main - not nearly as deep. I've got my HT in a 16 x 14 ft space. If one really wants to make room for Cornwalls, it can be done, while still having some flexibility of placement (toe in and so forth). If I had the room, I would go fully horn loaded too, but my setup is quite good as it is. With exception to that Belle I want for a center channel, I'll leave the "fully horn loaded" for the eventual 2 channel system.

IOW, I'm not looking to upgrade the Cornwalls.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Rega Planet CD Player - Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

dnd,

I hear where you are coming from and certainly respect your opinion. There has been a lot of La Scala bashing here lately and I just wanted my 2 cents to be heard. When we did the La Scala/Cornwall comparison, there were 3 people in the room (Colin, Q-Man and myself) and we all preferred the La Scala, but that does not mean it is better than the Cornwall. We just preferred it with that equipment in that room. Results could have been different with different equipment in a different room.

I agree about the size issue. They are both approximately the same height and width, with the La Scala being about 8 inches deeper. We have about the same size room (17' x 15') and I have La Scala's up front with Chorus's in the rear. They're big but I wouldn't have it any other way. Smile.gif

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-06-2002 at 09:39 AM