The $169.00 HT sub

CECAA850

Thanks for doing this Carl. I am about to give up on the plate repair project. I have pulled just about all the components I can. The diodes all test good. The caps are all good. The problem is either the very very tiny resistors and other tiny little parts, or it's the transformer. 

The stock Epik Legend had a 4-5db bump around 20-24Hz. As I remember, the Bash 300 I bought a while back had instructions for bumping. Does the Bash 500?

I'd have to dig the box out of the attic and see. I don't remember and I've had the 500 for quite a while. Parts Express may have a sheet on it as well.

I found the boost chart on the Parts Express Web site. You have to replace 2 resistors to create boost. Different resistor values give different boost at different frequencies. Derrick or Craig: do you know how many dB of boost is given at what frequency?

The Epik Legend amp has a 10db boost at 22hz. The freq graph was posted on a different web site. I can post it tomorrow.

I'd like to see it, thanks.  10 dB seems excessive.  That would eat up a lot of amp.  Maybe that's why they were frying.

I'm really tempted to try it flat for a while just to see how it performs but I love to tweak, so who knows.

Alrighty then, might as well be talking Chinese arithmetic here.

Generally all amps produce a flat frequency response.  Sealed subs roll off (produce less volume at lower frequencies) so you tweak the amps to put out more wattage at lower frequencies to flatten out the response.  That mod is not needed with ported or horn boxes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got the sub to my son's house and set up.  It replaces a (KSW???) Klipsch 10" sub with a 12" passive.  It absolutely smokes the old Klipsch and the new one isn't really that much bigger.  He LOVES the punch for music and will let me know how it does for HT.

• Like 1

I have seen graph of Auddysee where it has boosted the low end around 10 db.  As far as amp boost 3-6 db is generally safe if it has some built-in DSP.  I use an 8-10 db boost on my sealed subs at 20 Hz over the last several years.  MCACC does not give the subs an additional boost.  Just be careful boosting the low frequencies to see if the amp and driver tolerates the boost.

Just be careful boosting the low frequencies to see if the amp and driver tolerates the boost.

I would only do the 4dB (or 5) dB boost mod if I did anything at all.  My son loves it for music as it is however he hasn't done any HT listening yet.  He had some friends over to the house on New years eve.  When they approached his house they thought someone was down the street bumping in their vehicle.  Come to find out it was his sub inside the brick house making the noise.  They couldn't believe it was home made.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  It was a nice little project.  I enjoy tinkering on such things.  Typically I have no time limitations and can play around with different ideas as I build.  I don't know how many subs I've built over the years but I know I never build the same way twice.  I like to experiment with different build methods, that's half the fun, to me.  Christmas made me hurry a little on this one but it still turned out really nice.  When he has friends over, they normally ask my son where he bought the sub or what brand it is.