Looking at flac and lossless, have ?

joessportster

so I spent untold hours ripping my music lossless from my cd's I have heard about flac and it is supposed to be lossless as well, so I converted 2 albums that mean little to me and where my bitrate used to say 1411 it now ranges from 800 to approx 1000

so if this is truly lossless why am i losing rate ??  I understand that I probably can not hear any difference between 1411 and even 350 kbps however i ripped lossless for a reason I wanted exact copies of my discs and IMHO flac is not an exact copy

My reason for looking at converting to flac at all was it seems to support metadata better, I am not willing to lose the bitrate so now if anyone knows which other codec's support metadata that would be great, apparently aiff and wav are / can be sketchy with there support of metadata

thanks

Flac is to audio what PKZip is to data. A flac file is just a compressed container. When playing a flac file, it is decompressed on-the-fly back into the original PCM audio samples ... exactly, bit-for-bit. Hence the term "lossless".

• Like 1

mp3's remove content and therefore the bitrate is a representation of the number of bits per second within the track. higher bitrate = more bits retained and higher quality music file.

flac bitrate is more appropriately a representation of the compression ratio - quieter music has a lower bitrate than loud music, but is not representative of the recording quality. it's still lossless.

Thanks for the clarifications, thinking I will convert everything except my hi rez stuff, it allows me to add all the meta data right in jriver and can take my time and convert and add the data a few files at a time while I listen  :D

J river is pretty cool after you get past the learning curve  Thanks again Michael

I have been ripping flac with eac for a couple of weeks and have been very happy with it.  I have some stuff from hdtracks that are higher res and can't tell the difference.  At first I was disappointed of this like you were, however like I said I have not noticed a difference.  So I will continue to rip my cds in flac, and if I have the option to buy in high res I will.  The cost for some hi res albums off of HDtracks is the same as if I was to by a cd, so I am happy with that. Just my 2 cents. 

Having recently received my long awaited Pono player, I'm just beginning to get a sense of what it does and does not do. This weekend I'll post a more thorough report in Tarheel's "Neil Young's Pono" thread.

Until then, I can say that everything sounds better from the Pono player; mp3, WAV, FLAC, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, the high resolution FLAC files seem to sound better than mp3s. I can't perceive a difference between the HDTracks files and the Pono files, other than the Pono files make the unit's blue light come on, but the HDTracks files do not.

I plan to rip vinyl to FLAC files for storage and playback through the Pono player. I'll report the results.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

converted 80 albums so far and seems all but 1 has come out ok,  for some reason my aerosmith bootleg lost 10 tracks.....................Its all good as I have 2 backups just weird that 1 album out of 80 would do this

listening to a couple common reference albums and so far I could not say there is a difference :emotion-21:

benefit I have about 30 extra gigs of space and I am getting all the music in 1 file where it was in 3 separate files also getting rid of dupes