1982 Heresy match with receiver

thetreedoc

Welcome. You'll enjoy this group ... great guys. Just one question comes to mind ... why a receiver?? If the set up will involve 2 channel audio for music listening, it's my view (and that of a good number of others) that a good integrated amplifier or a separate pre-amp and power amp will generally give you far better sound. Heresys don't need a lot of power to sound great and that fact provides numerous options in terms of integrated amps and separates at a reasonable price. Others will weigh in as well with opinions. Personally, I tend to favor Marantz and Parasound amps.

Its been suggested that I go with a Onkyo TX 8020.

Personally I would advise against the TX-8020 and suggest you go with the TX-8050 network receiver if you want to stay under $200.00.  Better in every way plus networking, internet radio, online music streaming(Pandora, Spotify, etc.), subwoofer preout, and stereo preout in main zone and zone 2.

I have been driving my Heresy II's(and Heresys) for quite some time with my Integra DTM-40.4(same as TX-8050) and could not be happier with the results.  Plenty of punch, detail, imaging is spot on, and the soundstage is as close to 3 dimensional as I have ever experienced.  I have driven these speakers with many a combination and the current setup sounds as good or better than any combination before.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8050/onkyo-tx-8050-2-channel-network-stereo-receiver/1.html

4152.Jpg

Thanks for the feedback y'all!  I really appreciate it.  I'm looking for a receiver out of ignorance, I guess.  I haven't thought about connecting amps to it.  This is a whole new world to me.  Thanks again for the help.

It can get a bit confusing. :unsure:

Do you have a max budget that you are willing to spend?

While I am not going to tell you that the Onkyo TX-8050 is the best option available to drive your Heresys, it is one wonderful sounding receiver that over achieves in fidelity at it's price point.  Even at it's MSRP of $379.99($550.00 for Integra DTM-40.4), it's an over achiever IMO. My Integra DTM-40.4 replaced a legendary Luxman R-117 receiver that many consider the best stereo receiver to come along since the receiver wars of the 70's. With the exception of headroom(160w/ch vs 80w/ch), I don't think the change yielded me any less sound quality than with the Luxman.

With that said, there are many options of integrated amps out there that will do wonders with your Heresys.  

Bill

Edited by willland

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm looking for a stereo receiver.  I think I'd prefer new because of ease of acquisition.  Its been suggested that I go with a Onkyo TX 8020.

A friend just picked one of these up to drive his Klipsch Forte's, worst sounding unit i heard in quite some time.

No offence to the Onkyo fans but it really is a turd.

Spend a little more or look for something used.

hey Doc, look for a good ole Pioneer receiver, your Klipsch will love it, SX850/880, SX950/980, depending on how much you wanna spend. PM me and I will help if you need any advise on Pioneer's, I think the only thing with better sound than Pioneer silver is McIntosh. I have all the SX's and all the Klipsch Heritage except the K's and I'm looking at a set, also if your gonna run Heresy's as mains you'll more than likely need a sub as they were meant as a center...Roost

I've run my Heresys and Forte IIs off of a Denon and Onkyo AVR, neither came close to sounded as good as my vintage HK 430. And the 430 only cost me $50. That was for 2 ch listening of course.

Vintage is great for Heritage. Tubes even better some say. If I were going to get a modern setup for 2 channel I would go with a specific stereo setup that's geared towards music. Maybe look at Emotiva, NAD???

Update:  I'm leaning toward a Neuhaus Labs T-2 amp instead of the Onkyo 8020 or 8050.

First of all, welcome.  :)

Second of all, how did you come up with such an esoteric choice?  I presume you will be playing your music directly from your PC via USB, as suggested for this amp?

http://www.neuhauslabs.com/amplifiers/

I've got a pair of 1982 Heresy speakers that my wife bought new.  Our old receiver died.  What would a good receiver be to match with these speakers?

Thanks!

Doug

I would go for a used Onkyo 709. Yes, it's 7.1 but you can use it as just a 2 channel, it's worth it to get Audyssey XT room correction for the Heresy's. Plus you will have a mono out to add a subwoofer later, like a Table Tuba.

• Like 1