quiet fan for amp modification?

Paducah Home Theater

Nope they are 12.

I have a buddy in IT, and he showed me these and said they were the best but expensive. Not much to me so I bought them. You can't even tell my amp is on at all it's so quiet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006GD30UC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=T1&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

However I did have to splice them in since they don't have the standard plug. So kiss your warranty bye bye. But it was easy. Took five minutes for each fan maybe. Both amps have them.

Took five minutes for each fan maybe. Both amps have them.

I've never paid attention, 6000's have two fans?

EDIT: DUH, google images are your friend. I haven't looked at the back of mine since the day I took it out of the box.

You can't even tell my amp is on at all it's so quiet.

Mine sounds like a banshee.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have used dozens of different fans over the years and find the Noctura fans best though they cost more than others. The model Scrappy listed is a good one though it is a PWM (speed controlled through an extra wire) if your amp uses standard 12 volt current with no controller just get the one without PWM, it will (should) be cheaper as well.

For a cheaper, near silent alternative solution i find these Artic fans a true deal as they move good air to keep things cool and also use fluid dynamic bearings. I use these in my own systems.

I have used dozens of different fans over the years and find the Noctura fans best though they cost more than others. The model Scrappy listed is a good one though it is a PWM (speed controlled through an extra wire) if your amp uses standard 12 volt current with no controller just get the one without PWM, it will (should) be cheaper as well.

For a cheaper, near silent alternative solution i find these Artic fans a true deal as they move good air to keep things cool and also use fluid dynamic bearings. I use these in my own systems.

thats pretty much what my IT buddy told me. I figured if the very best was only a couple more dollars and I was only buying three I might as well get the best. Now if I had a whole rack of 6000's and had to buy like 16 fans I may not have splurged. Lol

Not sure why they couldn't just use silent fans from the factory. It's not like class D's get real hot and need some obnoxious fan.

Price, they probably buy loads of 99 cent discount fans that move tons of air to keep things cool for warranty reasons.

These amps are pro sound models where silent takes a back seat to keeping things cool but for home usage its best to upgrade to something with decent flow but quiet enough not to hear at low volume.

Some fans work best in pressure situations such as cooling a heatsink or radiator and others work better in free air such as case or spot cooling.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did this. Had I known what I was doing it would take like 2 minutes. Basically there are two sets of two prongs on the board, you can pull the factory connector on and three prong plugs slip right on, just make sure you only use the red and black probes. Other than that you just unscrew the top, unscrew the fans, bolt the new stuff on, done. I used the Enermax because I didn't want to splice anything with a four prong plug. I can't hear anything at all to be honest.  Took pics while it was apart, function test on the fans, not screwed on yet.  

IMG953004_zpsbaef037d.jpg

IMG953003_zps68fe1dd2.jpg