Any "Free" and Quality Music Player For Windows 8/8.1?

willland

I think my HRT streamer II+ is only capable of 24bit 96kHz and no higher.

Yes, it's only capable of that. I have the same one, and their top of the line one will not go the full value of what they can due to windows. Mac is a different story.

Then they don't know how or don't want to make it as good for Windows. Happens a lot when companies think Apple is God's gift to mankind.

Some things actually work better in Windows.

Bruce

Wouldn't be a good idea to ignore such a big chunk of the market... They can blame it on Windows all they want but other DAC manufacturers seem willing to write the necessary driver.  If HRT doesn't want to play then Windows users can just take their business elsewhere I guess.

My biggest hurdle now is that I just found out that my Cambridge Audio 751BD will only play WMA and MP3 files.

Correction, the 751BD does play WAV files from Windows Media Player.  As a matter of fact it plays Hi res WAV at least up to 24bit 96kHz.

Even with that discovery, I will opt for one of the suggested players(JRiver, Foobar 2000, Mediamonkey, VLC, etc.) and maybe a dedicated network audio player.

Bill