Any "Free" and Quality Music Player For Windows 8/8.1?

willland

I am over Windows Media Player and want to know if there is any quality "free" software that plays FLAC?

I know JRiver is considered top dog but it costs $49.98.  

I am not against shelling out the $$$ but if there are quality alternatives for $00.00, I would rather go that route.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

I will say that the highest resolution with a dac can't be played with some of windows, but can on mac.I have the music streamerll and the top of the line one from them can't play the upper level ones due to windows programming.

I have not found a resolution I couldn't play in Foobar as long as the DAC is capable.  

There ARE other factors.. such as the optical output to the DAC might not be capable of over 96khz.  This might also be true for the USB connection unless the manufacturer provides you with a driver.  

I think my HRT streamer II+ is only capable of 24bit 96kHz and no higher.

Yes, it's only capable of that. I have the same one, and their top of the line one will not go the full value of what they can due to windows. Mac is a different story. 

Thanks guys,  I am looking in to all suggestions.

Your resolution is limited by your DAC 

My Cambridge Audio 840C's DAC will accept up to 24bit 192kHz, as well as my NAD T175HD pre/pro.

My biggest hurdle now is that I just found out that my Cambridge Audio 751BD will only play WMA and MP3 files.  Same for my Samsung SMART TV but I think it will play WAV files.

Bill

Edited by willland

Yes, it's only capable of that. I have the same one, and their top of the line one will not go the full value of what they can due to windows. Mac is a different story. 

That is because HRT hasn't written a driver for it yet.  Sounds like they are working on it

Thanks guys,  I am looking in to all suggestions.

Your resolution is limited by your DAC 

My Cambridge Audio 840C's DAC will accept up to 24bit 192kHz, as well as my NAD T175HD pre/pro.

My biggest hurdle now is that I just found out that my Cambridge Audio 751BD will only play WMA and MP3 files.  Same for my Samsung SMART TV but I think it will play WAV files.

Bill

That is frustrating... I'd keep my FLAC files though and convert them to anything you want (prefer lossless).  I wouldn't get rid of my flac files though!  DBpoweramp is good utility for quick conversions and can do them by batch.