Question About HDMI Issues with Onkyo & Upgrade for Wakejunkie

Youthman

• Moderators
On the bright side, you already have a box to ship it back.. :) Still sucks tho for all of the inconvenience.

Yes I do.  I called and left a message with support and registered for the Onkyo Forum Support but am waiting to get approved from a mod so I can post.

• Like 1

I believe so Bill.  The turnaround was super quick.  I'm guessing the swapped out the chip, turned it on, "Yep there's sound" and shipped it back.

With such quick turnaround during a time when thousands(maybe 10's of thousands) have been sent in for repairs, you know Onkyo is using some(if not all) non corporate repair facilities to expedite these numerous repairs.  I am sure QC'ing is not at the top of the priority list where just get it done is.

It is great Onkyo has taken full responsibility in these matters but quality control MUST be just as important as quantity of quick repairs.

Bill

• Like 2

• Moderators
It is great Onkyo has taken full responsibility in these matters but quality control MUST be just as important as quantity of quick repairs.

I agree.  The one thing that concerns me is reading so many forum posts saying, "This is my 3rd repair....I'm done with Onkyo." 

I'm wondering how long it will last if they do repair it.  If they cover the cost, I guess it doesn't matter.  If they want me to pay for the repair, it probably isn't worth it since it seems like a crap shoot on whether or not it will work for 3 months or 3 years.

I would really like to get it up and running though as it would be a significant improvement over my HK.

• Like 1

I have not seen your exact issue described anywhere. Do as you want but I'd reset it. I did read somewhere about a unit doing similar things, it turned out to be connected gear/cables conflict. I would just make sure before sending it off and them saying it works fine here and sending it back. One guy gut his sent back the same way three times. I would reset, plug into a tv with hdmi and leave it on 24 hrs.

On a related but different cable thing and just fyi for anyone. I bought a ps3 new, came home hooked up and it worked a while, then video quit working. After some research I found an hdmi issue thread. I didn't think much about it but later tried a new cable and still issues. I later tried one of my high fashion cables, it worked fine no problems. I took the ps3 back and got a new replacement, hooked up with old cable that did not work before and its worked for two years since. Cables can matter if the hdmi output is weak for some reason.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Do as you want but I'd reset it.

I believe I mentioned twice that I did a Factory Reset before I sent it off to repair (and it locked up again), Onkyo stated they did a Factory Reset (on a piece of paper taped to the unit after repair) and I just did a Factory Reset after going in and finding it "Unlocked". 

I did read somewhere about a unit doing similar things, it turned out to be connected gear/cables conflict. I would just make sure before sending it off and them saying it works fine here and sending it back.

Good idea.  When I first got it, I hooked up a power cable, a pair of speakers and an RCA to 3.5mm cable to my iPhone and it locked up.  Not thinking connections are the issue.

I have not seen your exact issue described anywhere. Do as you want but I'd reset it. I did read somewhere about a unit doing similar things, it turned out to be connected gear/cables conflict. I would just make sure before sending it off and them saying it works fine here and sending it back. One guy gut his sent back the same way three times. I would reset, plug into a tv with hdmi and leave it on 24 hrs.

On a related but different cable thing and just fyi for anyone. I bought a ps3 new, came home hooked up and it worked a while, then video quit working. After some research I found an hdmi issue thread. I didn't think much about it but later tried a new cable and still issues. I later tried one of my high fashion cables, it worked fine no problems. I took the ps3 back and got a new replacement, hooked up with old cable that did not work before and its worked for two years since. Cables can matter if the hdmi output is weak for some reason.

I use Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables for all my HDMI cables.

What I can't believe is that the repair place wouldn't bother to burn the unit in for 24 hours after the repair.  C'mon, guys, it's not like it costs you extra money!  :angry:  :emotion-45: 

+++

Hang in there with the Onk, Youthman.  I think once you get the bugs worked out that unit is going to knock your socks off!  

• Like 1

Youthman, you can test out the connected device theory by simply powering all your devices off and disconnecting all your hdmi inputs. Make sure you disable any CEC or remote over hdmi features on all your devices. If the unit still freaks out when you boot it up then you still have a firmware issue. If it doesn't then you start connecting devices one at a time to find out which one is giving you guff. Once you find which device is giving you issues try connecting it with a different hdmi cable to see if a faulty connection is the issue. I fix computers for Fiat Chryslers world headquarters and I see all manner of weird with connections so just try drilling down methodically until you suss out the issue.

Edited by violetgrey
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Violet, when I first got the 5008, it worked fine for a few min then it locked up. As mentioned above, I only had hooked up a power cable, a pair of speakers and an RCA to 3.5mm cable to my iPhone and it locked up. Not thinking connections are the issue.

I'll try and test it some more today to see if it locks back up again.

• Like 1

When I plug in the unit, the unit is totally responsive but if I hit the Power Button on the front, it says "HDMI Board: Use" and if I hit the power button again, it says "HDMI Board: Ignore"

I'm fascinated by this HDMI board configure setting. Can you reproduce that setting and choose one of the options?

• Moderators

Agreed.  I wasn't sure what it was asking.  The only button on the unit that was working was the power button and it would cycle through those three screenshots.  Enter button didn't respond, nor the arrows on the front of the unit or the remote. 

Agreed. I wasn't sure what it was asking. The only button on the unit that was working was the power button and it would cycle through those three screenshots. Enter button didn't respond, nor the arrows on the front of the unit or the remote.

Damn. I see this kind of thing with the laptops at work all the time. I usually requires a total system board replacement. Th only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the network line in case it's tryng to pull some data from a network source that no longer exists.

• Moderators
Th only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the network line in case it's tryng to pull some data from a network source that no longer exists.

Did that after it bricked.  I'm confident it's an issue within the unit, not any type of connection that I'm making.  I'll call Onkyo on Monday to see what they can do.

• Moderators
All these threads about HDMI failures have me well paranoid.

Yeah, a quick Google doesn't give me much confidence in Onkyo.  Seems like a gamble on whether or not they will work.  I had absolutely no issues with my previous Onkyo 703 but I only had it about a year before upgrading.  Will keep ya posted on the progress.