Newbie To Digital - Need Help With What To Buy

tlarwa

there is just something nto quite right about not having a tanglable assest when you are paying for goods on an ongoing basis. it's proabably akin to being old fashion, but I still want a disk, or a file that I can own permanently.

question about the premium spotify service

If I want a particular song / album can I search that on spotify premium and play that ?? 

Pandora allows you to choose a genre, or an artist and then plays music within that genre, pandora will not allow you to pick individual tracks in my experience

Yes, Spotify is like listening to your own music library. Play songs whenever you want as much as you want. Also, the quality is so much better than Pandora (Which is not rally listenable to me on my main rig).

As a matter of fact, there is a pluggin on my Squeezebox developed by the Squeebox community called 'Smart Mix'. If you find a track you like it will select music from your own personal library and/or Spotify and intermingle them. I really don't know what I'm listening to, whether the track came from my personal library of over 5000 CDs or Spotify.

The Big advantage to streaming is I now have over 25 million tracks in my library.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, I understand. I've been asking about these things in another thread also, and I am trying to figure out why this isn't as appealing to me. It seems like a no brainer.

Mark, I know exactly why it isn't appealing to you. It's because you've never used it. This is like a lot of technology that has come along. As an example, when I first got my squeezebox about 5 years ago I had about 4 of my audiophile friends over for an evening. After demoing the Squeezebox and my DAC against my CD player the guys all said that they could not tell the difference, but that they would never go that route, because they liked touching the CD jacket, looking at the art work and many other reasons that i can't remember. I then showed them a Passport disc the size of a Deck of Cards with my 5000 CDs on it and that I can now take all of my music when traveling. (BTW - I am currently in the Bahamas for the winter, and yes I have all of my music as well as access to Spotify. I have a Portable Powered speaker with me.)

I then let them hold my laptop, and select  various songs, and play with the listening queue, without them having to get up load a CD and skip to the track they wanted. At the end of the evening they were totaling up the cost of the DAC, asking me how I ripped a CD and wanted to dive in to Computer Audio. One guy that was Dead Set against it that evening, continually thanks me for 'getting him into PC Audio'.

I am never going back... I sold all 5 of my CD players 4 years ago. I have a Cheap DVD Player for movies. that's it!  BTW -- Did you notice any improvement when you switched from Film Cameras to Digital Cameras? There is a bigger improvement from CD audio to PC Based audio than cameras.

some people still shoot on Film.

Tarantino... Nolan... and there IS a difference, but not in the direction you are referring to.

since we're talking illustrations of the point... here are the two versions. the first is digital, the second is Film. BEYOND the color correction, or lack of it, I can CLEARLY see a major difference in presence and richness of the image... even excluding black levels.

darkknightjokersad.jpg

the-joker_00340687.jpg

I dont think the illustration of digital was effectively placed using the film digital comparrison because a CD and a flac are both digital.

Edited by Schu

some people still shoot on Film.

Tarantino... Nolan... and there IS a difference, but not in the direction you are referring to.

since we're talking illustrations of the point... here are the two versions. the first is digital, the second is Film. BEYOND the color correction, or lack of it, I can CLEARLY see a major difference in presence and richness of the image... even excluding black levels.

I dont think the illustration of digital was effectively placed using the film digital comparrison because a CD and a flac are both digital.

It was a only comparison in terms of convenience and features and price....not Digiital. BTW  --- I know professional photographers and they believe that anyone that is not shooting digital today is a fool.

There are many comparisons of technology in the past. There were proponents of horses that could not be replaced with cars..... So it goes.

Thanks for the clarifications guys.................I cant listen to pandora myself and I thought all internet radio was offering crappy 256 or below, spotify sounds like a great way to discover new music as fm radio seems a thing of the past.  For several years now I have relied on friends and acquaintances for new music and that worked for awhile 

Joe

Wife just told me music unlimited will cease to exist march 29th. Its the ps3 music service. I have been very happy with it both with quality and availability of songs. Don't know what i should use noW. Hey a home theatre pc i guess. I like the digital storage don't want to change a bunch of cds or records. I can shuffle all my favorite songs and it's a different mix every time i go to listen

I use the Spotify Pro (whatever it's called; paid for higher resolution), click the listen to off-line on my iPad, throw it in my truck and the BT links to my stereo passing on the "saved" Spotify tunes. I use wi-fi only on my iPad, no cell.

Edited by USNRET