Pandora: ScumBag Central

thebes

The musicians (or actual music rights owner) can reject a contract with Pandora, not have their music played, and not get anything.  It's their own fault either way.  The mere fact you hear their music on there shows they agreed to the deal.  Why feel sorry for them?  They would get nothing otherwise.  Taylor Swift didn't go for the deal and that was much publicized.

• Like 2

Someone will set me straight I'm sure, but how different is it than radio?  (For the free stream) advertisers pay for the airtime, record companies pay to get their songs on the air, etc.?  I am a huge proponent of artists getting their due, I don't burn CD's, dvd's etc.

If I want it, I'll pay for it, I'd like to think I understand paying for something that is of value to me.  I appreciate the aim of the OP and respect it greatly, I'm also in that camp of having paid for music I heard that I just wouldn't have without the "stream".

What annoys me the most about radio these days is all the commercials are for 800-line "free products" and drag on and on and on. At least with Pandora there's only one or two - and often times it's not nearly as hounding as the regular radio.

• Like 1

As the last couple posts get at, this isn't Pandora's fault, its the record companies who screw artists with the contracts.  There are many notable cases of artists forgoing the "easy" path paved by record studios who will make you famous for 95% of your potential earnings.  We all make choices in life.

• Like 1

I do not do a lot of music streaming and the only streaming that I do is with Pandora. Mostly at the office and in the car.  I have to say that I have spent more money on new artists by being introduced to them on Pandora than I ever would have without them.  Not sure where I would found out about a lot of the artists that I have purchsed without Pandora. The issue right now with Pandora and ASCAP is that Pandora wants to pay what radio stations pay ( the 7mills that Marty referenced) and ASCAP wants them to pay a higher rate. Its hard for me to justify why Pandora should pay more than a radio station. I bet a lot of artists love Pandora because of the exposure they get that they wouldnt have gotten otherwise.

Kind of begs the question where do you all hear about new artists or new releases from favorite artists? I read Rolling Stone and other mags but the choices in radio are so limiting that I think Pandora is helping the industry.

JMHO

Edited by joshnich
  • Like 1

I listen to Pandora several times each week. I suppose I'm a dumba$$ for signing up to pay their monthly subscription for a slightly higher quality signal and no commercials. There's a much wider variety of music than Sirius XM in my car. Pandora also has a smaller ratio of Beatles songs and no intrusions of the Grateful Dead compared to Sirius XM. I have purchased several albums from new to me artists after hearing them on Pandora. 

I don't understand the negativity towards Pandora, but like I said I'm probably a dumba$$. 

Mark

Edited by cincymat

Mark, I'm sure you were being a little passive agressive but you're not a dumba$$.  No one can publicly stream an artist's music without their consent (either direclty or through their lawfully assigned rights owner... try it and see what happens) so the hatred for Pandora is completely misplaced.

I was trying to learn if I was missing something about how Pandora treats recording artists compared to other forms of electronic mediums. I don't think the recording artists have a history of being treated generously by the record labels. Pretty sure it's been going on like that for years and years. 

Mark

And that's my point. 

The artists are always at the bottom of the pile, and like many industries, the suits are at the top. 

It seems that many of the respondents have that all-American attitude of hey it's free for me so what do I care about the other guy.  Then some feel it offers real value, a means to expose yourself to other music, and then buy it, thus helping the artists.  Some moderately discerning listeners have noticed it's repetitious as hell.

I can understand but I've got problems with both approaches.

First free is never free. Seems like a little while ago the free-is-always-good school engaged in the one of the most massive looting of intellectual property in history.  Gee, anybody here remember bit-torrent, ripping cds and passing them out to all your friends. Hey it's free, but until some court cases came along, and the juggernaut monopolistic instincts of Apple resulted in I've-Got-You-By-the-Balls And-You-Idiots-Are-Thrilled-by- it-Tunes.  Lookee me! I've got 1700 songs on my cigarette pack  sized electronic wonder and heaven help me if I can bothered to listen to something new.

By then the means of obtaining music, or learning about new music by going to a shop, were all but gone.  It wasn't the cd that was slaughtered, but choice, sundered into the Apple conglomerate. 

In the last five years the music industry is only half the size it was.  Anybody think the suits cut their salary to keep the talent going?

Now we' got "competition". Two other players, Pandora and Spotify trying to muscle in on the looting, like the old SevenSisters who at one time controlled all the oil in the world. 

Oh, and people mentioned radio. Why shouldn't Pandora get the same break radio does.

Well.

A typical radio station plays no more than 1200 songs, thats songs, not albums, over and over again.  Now ever at the awful rates paid by radio, the luck y1200 songs writers get great checks from-to-month, but what happens to everybody else?  With rare exception commercial radio has long since abandoned any love for music, drowned in a torrent (hee-hee) of more commercials than music. Radio has become television, an annoyance rather than a revelation.

Oh you can go to Pandora Radio, which probably has a few dozen more songs and offers the illusion of choice. 

But the real illusion is that Spotify and Pandora, and the rest of them have anything to do with music.  Music is a product they peddle, nothing more, nothing less.

Let's look at nature.  Symbionts are good, parasites are bad. 

Guess which ones Pandora and Spotify are?

Their loss and profit statements ought to tell you. When your product costs nothing it's really hard not to make gobs of money. 

Of course, I was taught at an early age not to steal. 

Edited by thebes

Never understood it to start with.I listen to endless great music for free, Classic Deep Cuts, (the guy actually pays to play me music) Casey's Classic Rock etc...some of the best music ever recorded from a crazy large library.

Radio!!!!!!!!

By god man, what's next?

A Hootnany? :D

Thebes,

I have had the strangest feeling that I knew you since I became a member last year. Tonight as I was flipping through the channels, it hit me...

Charles Emerson Winchester III

Take that back! I'm not a Bostonian brahma priss.

I'm a Yankees fan, fer cryin out loud.  :D 

Ya know, I start these type of threads, because if you can't even get worked up from time-to-time over something as important to the denizens of this place as music, than we might as well suck up whatever crap the audio hucksters wish to peddle.