Leaving kids at home alone. What about with your kids?

JL Sargent

even if they are safely bricked in?

Yes but in these cases there is usually something else going on, lack of food, dangerous dogs, no phone, drugs, loaded guns, an out of control kid who does really bad stuff when nobody is around, could be anything.  If somebody gets reported to child services and the kid is less than 10 and left home alone it can look pretty bad in court.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

MetropolisLakeOutfitters, on 26 Feb 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

My wife is a family attorney.  There has been multiple cases where a kid younger than 10 being left at home was a significant reason as to why they got taken out of the home.  Something to consider.  

I was raised knowing that if I got too far out of hand I would be reacquainted with the Razor

Strap.  And I did become well acquainted from time to time.

My kids were raised in similar fashion.

My Daughter once told me she was going to call the cops if I was going to spank her.  My response was Do you want to dial the number before or after the spanking? 

All in all they turned out pretty good.

• Like 1

Peterson, who "allegedly spanked his son so hard with a switch the boy suffered injuries all over his body,

It didn't work out so well for Adrian Peterson.

That's a whole different set of circumstances.  Difference between a "Spanking and a Beating".  I did not suffer injuries all over my body and neither did my kids.

I was hit as a kid more than several times from belts, to fists, to sticks. I was also hit with a switch. And I turned out just fine. I'm not in jail, work a full time job and am self employed.

My point is, spanking is one thing,and if a kid deserves it, so be it. I have 4 kids and have never had to even smack their wrists as they were scared enough from my voice or stare. At the same time if they needed to be spanked,they would be. No switch or belt or spoon, but my hand across their a$$.

Beating a kid is another thing. That to me breaks their spirit. If I'm going to beat someone, it's because they break into my home, or try to hurt me and my family.And it won't be a kid. Adrian Peterson's son had a typical thing happen to him that othee kids have had done to them many times over for many years. The problem is he went overboard with it. Half the terror with a switch was having to pick it yourself with whoever was telling you to get one and to make sure it was a good one. Then you had to peel the leaves off of it. You get that 1-2 times and it straightens you out real quickly.

My triplets live with their mother and I have joint custody. I have tried for several years to get custody of them to no avail, as NJ is on the mothers side 99.999% and even when they aren't will find a way to get them back to the mother.

I had custody of them for awhile before having to give them back due to the courts siding with the mother. The school, child protection services, family members all testified the kids were better with me but it didn't matter.

Their mother had my son call the police on me once as he got into a fight with his younger brother and I grabbed him off of him. I told him how would you like it if I did that to you, and he said he'd call the cops. So I told him to go ahead. At the same time he then called his mother so she could coach him  on what to say. When the police got there I let them in and they spoke to him as well as me. They turned and yelled at my son and said, that's your father, if he wants to spank you for doing something bad he can. And then they got in his face and said, do you understand? Never had another issue with him again.

I think we need to go back to that type of parenting where the police and parents work together, this whole time out bs has been proven to not work and this is the biggest reason we are on the shape we are as a country. No respect towards one another, the I'm owed everything mentallity, take as much from everyone else as you can, and the whole hiding from one another mentallity.

I will stop here before I get called a racist again when I called myself white trash and have another thread locked due to my not being PC.But I can guarantee one thing, if kids learned more respect and fear for doing bad things we'd be better off.

I got totally off track, what I wanted to say was each state has a guideline for what age they think is appropriate to leave a child home alone. In NJ it's actually 9-10 that a child can be left alone for several hours as long as there's food and shelter. They can walk to school, buy groceries at stores,and other things like this as long as it's not past 8 PM at night. There is actually still a curfew for teens in many towns and cities here also.

I actually started letting my triplets who will be 14 in a few weeks stay homne with my younger one over the last 5-6 months for a few hours at a time. I actually did a test with my 10 year old last night where we went to the store for about 15 minutes and left him home with our 2 dogs, which are a Boxer and an American Bulldog, so wee feel safe enough. He knows our numbers, knows emergency numbers and not to answer the door and keep it locked. We also started letting him walk to a friends house which is about 2 blocks away as long as it is light out, and to walk down to the local convenience store for small things.

Funny thing is I would never let them do the same thigns I did as a kid when I was younger than them and their age, and part of that is due to the whole neighbors thing where we don't have neighbors watching out for neighbors anymore. And because of that, kids don't have the same common sence we did as kids becuase they lack the street smarts due to being locked away in their homes and having playdates where mom or dad drops and picks them up in a car.

Edited by Jim

If somebody gets reported to child services and the kid is less than 10 and left home alone it can look pretty bad in court.

Not necessarily.

Background: My wife is the "Victim Advocate" for The Childrens Center here in our county. They do forensic interviews with victims, counseling, support victim families, etc. They also work closely with DHR and the county prosecutor when appropriate. My wife has an incredible view on this subject.  She saw 180 child abuse cases in 2014 alone just to give you an idea!

The legal age to be left at home alone actually varies from state to state and that is the standard what DHR goes by. Interestingly, Alabama has no minimum age. Yet in one state it's 18! The last thing DHR wants to do is take somebody's kids, but the kids have to come first. So often drugs are the problem. 

Edited by JL Sargent