Amp for full Forte setup

finallygotmyheresies

they are the same amp

This is from an ATI rep: (copy and paste, not my words)

Then the comparison. "Ford makes the Expedition (7500)vs Lincoln's Navigator (ATI 2005). They both have the same frame and you upscale to get the other." "The ATI 2005 is like Outlaw 7500 on steroids." The basics of the two amps are the same. All you have to do is look at internal photos of each.

That being said there very well may be little sound difference even though ATI tweaks theirs.

I've read that before somewhere and I think that's a fair comparison. I just really doubt any of us could discern any audible differences between the 2. Hell, I got mine used because it was only a year old for a grand. I still have 3 years left on the warranty. I just couldn't see myself paying ATI prices knowing it's essentially the same thing.  

If you can find a Sherbourn amp, aim for that. They make really powerful distortion free amps. Also look inot the Emotiva XPR-5 or XPA-5 depending on your budget. Both very solid amps and best bangs for the buck!

I think Youthman just had a Sherbourn 200X5 that lost a few channels. Emo's response didn't sound very promising and didn't offer repair. Things may have changed since then, but I wouldn't look at anything built by Sherbourn. Maybe Youth will chime in on this.

they are the same amp

This is from an ATI rep: (copy and paste, not my words)

Then the comparison. "Ford makes the Expedition (7500)vs Lincoln's Navigator (ATI 2005). They both have the same frame and you upscale to get the other." "The ATI 2005 is like Outlaw 7500 on steroids." The basics of the two amps are the same. All you have to do is look at internal photos of each.

That being said there very well may be little sound difference even though ATI tweaks theirs.

I wish someone would step up and say what exactly the differences were to justify the substantial cost difference between the two. Meanwhile, Im sure Outlaw wouldn't want this to happen and ATI does a pretty good job of keeping their builds or "business" under wraps.

What concerns me is the 120db SNR and the ultra low THD.  Could they have over done it with the negative feedback creating something ultra clean, ultra quiet, but a very sterile un musical sound?     I have heard an older ATI hooked up to Cornwalls that was dang impressive, but this has been 10 years or so I think. Surely they haven't gone in the wrong direction.

Edited by Max2

I wish someone would step up and say what exactly the differences were to justify the substantial cost difference between the two. Meanwhile, Im sure Outlaw wouldn't want this to happen and ATI does a pretty good job of keeping their builds or "business" under wraps. What concerns me is the 120db SNR and the ultra low THD. Could they have over done it with the negative feedback creating something ultra clean, ultra quiet, but a very sterile un musical sound? I have heard an older ATI hooked up to Cornwalls that was dang impressive, but this has been 10 years or so I think. Surely they haven't gone in the wrong direction.

I like the car analogy.  It's like a Pontiac Trans Am and a Formula.  Buick Grand National and a T-type.  You get similar levels of performance in a little bit cheaper packaging.  The ATI has a 2 year longer warranty, maybe that's figured into the price as well.

I have a 1502.  I'd call it accurate, not sterile and has a very black background.. It's a great amp.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I think Youthman just had a Sherbourn 200X5 that lost a few channels. Emo's response didn't sound very promising and didn't offer repair. Things may have changed since then, but I wouldn't look at anything built by Sherbourn. Maybe Youth will chime in on this.

As with any used gear, you have the potential for it to break and need repair.  Yes, my Sherbourn just started dropping channels (intermittently) and I just received a $280 quote to repair it.  I'm just not confident that fixing two of the channels will resolve the other channels that would sometimes not come on.

IMO, it all depends on how good of a deal you can get on used gear.  At the prices I pay, I'm 100% comfortable with buying used.  If you don't have much invested, even if it breaks, you are still ahead of what you would be if you were to have purchased it new.  YMMV

Edited by Youthman

100 + pounds of meat and potatoes right there. Congrats and let us know how it sounds.

Wow, no kidding?  I didn't know that.

+++

Minor thread drift:  I know the giant heat sinks contribute to the big weight of those amps. 

Why hasn't some company water cooled amps yet, like they do PC's?