iphone 5 to DAC connection

Tarheel

Thanks for the link Mike.  I will try the headphone via RCA jacks to aux on preamp. 

I suppose the charging port of the iPhone with the usb cable end would not work? I would have to get a male to male adaptor. 

Male lightning plug into iPad (phone) then check your DAC to see if it needs an A or B USB plug. Typically A is what plugs into your PC (camera adapter also I just verified) but then your DAC may need a B style (like on printer).

I also used this setup to copy audio files from my PC to the iPAD so I could BlueTooth to my truck stereo using this

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

My son tells me that he can use his 5S plugged into his PC using the 'charging' cable but he has only tried iTunes. I just tried his phone into my Oppo 105 using the charging cable and it was not recognized. I can try my Emo DAC this weekend if you want.

• Like 1

I use the AppleTv solution to make it easy on the wife. Harmony remote> Mom's Radio Music turns on system and AppleTv apps play thru the HT system (NO TOUCHY MY TUBES). Mom's Recorded (on the Harmony) plays the USB stick in the Oppo.

Edit: she hasn't graduated (or I lack the programming) to the 3TB of music on my net.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

OK for more confusing update.

Earlier I said that my son's iPhone 5s didn't play with the Oppo USB in

I had a major handshake/software hiccup (Icouldn't get crap to work, no TV, no nadda). Rebooted the system and now:

the iPhone plugged into the Oppo's front USB slot allows him to play music from the iPhone and play a game from the iPhone and displayed on the TV while charging the iPhone.. He's jamming Black Sabbath from the iPhone and controlling Poke Man from the iPhone

This may very well not help you but it does show that the Oppo USB DAC recognizes and plays muzak from the iPhone via USB.

Good Luck to u

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Tarheel,

What DAC are you using?

I have a portable DAC/headphone amp. Teac HA-P50. I just connect the lightning cable into the usb port on the DAC. It has an analog output for connecting to a stereo. I use that at home. I mostly use the headphone jack.

The HA-P50 bypass the DAC in my iphone 5. Much better sound through the Teac.

The Teac runs around $200.

• Like 1

So chuck, i never heard you say how you liked your new DAC ?

I'm sure as soon as he gets it to work with his phone, I'm sure a review will follow. :)

I bought the Maverick Tube Magic D2.  I can't say I have had a lot of experience with dacs but the D2 is straightforward enough, sets up easily, no drivers to install and sounds great. It's basically plug and play. Sound quality wise I am still in the experimental stage.   I have a Jolida 100 tubed CDP so by using the coaxial input to the D2 I am bypassing the tube stage of the Jolida.  Whether the D2 or the Jolida dac is better is still to be determined.  Same with the Bugle Boy CDP tube vs. the GE nos D2 tube.

With Spotify premium via the HP laptop from the usb port of the D2 the Maverick has a sweeter, less etched sound.  The fit and finish of the D2 was very good and better than there earlier offerings or so I read.  But the same was true of the Jolida.  Jolida hit a home run with the 100 after putting out inferior products earlier.  The source selector of the D2 has a different feel with no click stops but I like it.  Same with the blue pilot lights. 

The other dac I was looking at (Schiit Bifrost Uber) was twice the price of the Maverick.  My thought process was that I could always move up to the Schiit if I didn't like the Maverick but at this rime I have no desire to change. 

Thanks to Carl for the recommendation :)

• Like 1