WiFi Internet Speed Question

artto

If I have my internet service provider increase my internet speed about 4x to 45Mbps will that have any impact/improvement on WiFi devices on my home network? More specifically, for instance, connecting the AVR WiFi to internet radio, or my tablet using Splashtop via the wireless home network as a remote control for the laptop PC, or the laptop wireless connectivity to the internet? Or is the WiFi on my internal home network the weak link and there's nothing I do to improve it's speed?

If I have my internet service provider increase my internet speed about 4x to 45Mbps will that have any impact/improvement on WiFi devices on my home network? More specifically, for instance, connecting the AVR WiFi to internet radio, or my tablet using Splashtop via the wireless home network as a remote control for the laptop PC, or the laptop wireless connectivity to the internet? Or is the WiFi on my internal home network the weak link and there's nothing I do to improve it's speed?

You should see improvements in all those areas.  

Bill

Don't really agree with the above....totally depends on your router speed, the devices you are connecting.  If you are relatively satisfied with what you have now, leave it be, don't pay the extra dough.

My advice was based on my experience going from 1mbps to 12mbps.

I guess I should have added ymmv. ;)  :D 

Bill

Edited by willland

I usually have problems initially connecting my AVR to internet radio via WiFi. Sometimes it buffers right up, other times I have to press enter up to 5 or 6 times or choose another station to get a connection. I seem to have solved the disconnection problems (would disconnect after 2-3 hours) with a better AVR that has external rabbit ear antennas.

My wife seems to have problems streaming video for her dog lectures/programs but that computer is on ethernet and is 10 years old, 10Mb modem so a higher internet speed probably won't help her.

Occasionally I have issues with the tablet/Splashtop connectivity with the laptop PC I use for a digital playback source in the main system.

I'm using a repeater/extender (has rabbit ears - the main router does not) to get a stronger signal to the other end of the house. Lots of steel in between. I relocated the repeater so it has better a sight line to the main router but that moves it farther from the AVR, PS3 and laptop. So far the new location seems to have better sustained connectivity.

Just trying to decide if it's worth the $25 extra per month or if I'll still have the same issues. I was under the impression that the Mbps was related primarily to ethernet and not necessarily improved WiFi throughput as well.

Check to see if your modem is Docis 3.0.  I use the Motorola SURFboard DOCIS 3.0, I think I paid about $90 for mine a couple of years ago..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-surfboard-docsis-3-0-high-speed-cable-modem-black/2836657.p?id=1218357903729&skuId=2836657

The Asus RT-N56U is my dual-band router.  It has a USB port, and the ability to hard-wire a printer directly to it, so you can print wirelessly without being attached to a PC.  I love mine, but time marches on and it doesn't support the new three-stream 450Mbps wireless speed.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-n56u-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router/

Both of these have worked for months upon end with no problems whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  My local internet service recently went from 15download/1upload to a free upgrade of 50down/5up.  I instantly had connectivity problems because of the TERMINATIONS. 

This is apparently much more important with high-speed internet.  I paid the $5 dollar per month "inside service" from my provider Suddenlink and the service guy replaced all the terminations inside my house, and the all the terminations from the pole to my house.  He also replaced all my splitters with high speed splitters, no charge.  I had no problems after that.  After he was done, I canceled the "inside service" which is what the Suddenlink guy suggested I do.

I should also mention that I have upgraded all the cable from the pole to my house, and all inside connections  with high-speed quad shield RG6 coax cabling.

Edited by wvu80

Check to see if your modem is Docis 3.0.  I use the Motorola SURFboard DOCIS 3.0, I think I paid about $90 for mine a couple of years ago..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-surfboard-docsis-3-0-high-speed-cable-modem-black/2836657.p?id=1218357903729&skuId=2836657

The Asus RT-N56U is my dual-band router.  It has a USB port, and the ability to hard-wire a printer directly to it, so you can print wirelessly without being attached to a PC.  I love mine, but time marches on and it doesn't support the new three-stream 450Mbps wireless speed.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-n56u-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router/

Both of these have worked for months upon end with no problems whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  My local internet service recently went from 15download/1upload to a free upgrade of 50down/5up.  I instantly had connectivity problems because of the TERMINATIONS. 

This is apparently much more important with high-speed internet.  I paid the $5 dollar per month "inside service" from my provider Suddenlink and the service guy replaced all the terminations inside my house, and the all the terminations from the pole to my house.  He also replaced all my splitters with high speed splitters, no charge.  I had no problems after that.  After he was done, I canceled the "inside service" which is what the Suddenlink guy suggested I do.

I should also mention that I have upgraded all the cable from the pole to my house, and all inside connections  with high-speed quad shield RG6 coax cabling.

I may call CAS and see if this is what's going on at my house. I went from 20M to 50, and now I get 15M where I was getting the full 20 no problem from my computer which is connected through wifi. I was kinda thinking it was because of the wifi connection on the computer which is USB and I have had some issues with.

edit: I just checked, and I am at 5.51M 14.16M at the computer via wifi. The computer is only 20' from the router.

edit2: just checked with XFINITY comcast tester and it gave me 13.78M.

edit 3: AT&T speed tester gave me 14.16M

edit4: bandwidth place gives me 12.88M

Edited by mustang guy

I had the same problems, Mustang Guy.  Make sure your wiring is upgraded to quad shielded, and have the Comcast guy check your connections.  He will have a pro tester that will measure the signal to the server, and he will know for sure if your signal is within spec.  Signal leak seems to be the culprit so be sure to cap off anything that is not physically connected to a device.

I've got a good crimper and I know how to connect coax, but the guy who does it for a living was 10x better than me, and used terminal ends that appeared to be much better than the ones I got from Lowes.  It fixed my problem instantly.

I just did this Speedtest.net running over a cheap wireless USB dongle.  Check out that Ping.  B)

4194574618.png

Edited by wvu80

I'll try my wireless and see what I get, but this is wired, going into an Apple Airport Extreme, which is connected by Cat5 to a second Airport Extreme at the other end of the house, connected through a cable splitter into my cable modem. Comcast is my isp.

post-5045-0-65960000-1425686232_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

This is the wireless connection, from an old MacBook Pro (early 2008), running Yosemite. It's a bit pokie, but still runs pretty well. I did all the cable in the house (cheap coax from where Comcast used to have a splitter on the outside of the house, about 30 ft. to the splitter inside (one leg to the cable box and one to the cable modem).

Bruce

post-5045-0-84240000-1425692387_thumb.jp