Q-man's System!

JohnA

Q, thanks for bringing this thread to the top. I am quite blown away! You are certifiable, but I'm lovin' it.

Sooooo, this brings to the fore an old question I've had. I have had raw birch Klipschorns for a long time that the previous owner finished in a simple walnut oiled finish. For year I've toyed with the idea of veneering them...They sell sheets big enough to do it woithout joining from Constantine's I think. Then I'd have to get some edge banding for my plywood edges. Am I losing my mind? Pitfalls I'm not aware of? I've never veneered, but I've edge-banded on mdf...wasn't bad at all...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evan,

You can buy veneer in 4x8' sheets and anyone selling veneer probably sells real wood edge banding.Don't buy the pre-glued edge banding.

Use spray on contact cement, not the roll or brush on. The spray on goes on dryer & the veneer won't swell & stretch as much. You can buy it at Home Depot . Use dowel rods between the two glued surfaces to keep them from touching eash other. Only remove one or two rods at a time as you press down the veneer, working from the center out.

Since you will be using edge banding, you have an option to buy laminate backed veneer. It's formica with the veneer already glued to it. It's a lot easier to use, you won't get any stretching, blisters & tears with it. The edge banding will be applied after the veneer in laid down, thus hiding the formica edge. The draw back is, you need a trim router to trim the veneer after it's applied to the speaker. I'm not saying to use this method,I'm just telling you that it's available.

Since the birch plywood on your K-Horns is already stained, & if it looks good, you can just buy the birch edge banding & finish the job.

Q.

quote:

Originally posted by Q-Man:

Since the birch plywood on your K-Horns is already stained, & if it looks good, you can just buy the birch edge banding & finish the job.

Q.

Thanks Q

You're probably right. Back when I was originally jonesing to veneer 'em (15 yrs ago)I had catalogs of veneers...I couldn't decide between Macassar Ebony, Brazilian Rosewood, English brown oak (qtd), teak, and other exotic stuff...i'm sure you hear my motor running. Now it would probably cost a fortune to do that. So, this is me getting some birch edge banding to finish the job...

My den is made of nice oak veneer plywood in 4x4' squares, picture-framed with nice oak moulding. It's really done very nice...the old library look. Against that background my Khorns nearly disappear anyway...I don't know why I even think about it. I really noticed them when they were against a light painted wall.

• 3 months later...

Q-Man - You are as mad as a March Hare! I love it! I cannot imagine ever having such a system, its the sort of thing I would want to hear though. On the positive side my wife has become a lot more accepting of my system having seen yours.

I am just so glad you are not my neighbour! LOL

It is because of seeing Q-Man's system that I decided to add another pair of main's to my H/T set up a pair of LWE-I Motion Feedback speakers from the late 60's early 70's very precise sounding sitting on top of my Belle's. 3 amplifiers and the Denon receiver drive the system it plays music fantastically as well. With the use the of DBX gear anything can be adjusted. I can only imagine what Q-Man's must sound like. How do we view the updated photo's?

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback)

Yamaha M-80 Auto Class A Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's)

DBX BX-2 2/3/4 Channel Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's & ESS Mini's)

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector (2)

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX SNR-1 Single Ended Source Noise Reduction

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

BBE 1002 Audio Restoration System

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

OK, so I'm new at this and posted a reply to the wrong thread! A thousand pardons.

Q-Man: I agree with one of your next purchases.....the DVD-Audio. No system should be without one. However, I'm thinking for that Klipsch monument, you need a front projector! That way your audio doesn't totally overshadow your video. I'm running an In-Focus LP350 DLP projector between my K-Horns and over the

top of my Belle center. 10ft diag, crystal clear, which I replaced my 50in ProScan with. Cost was less than 3K,

it's HD/digital compatible/ready, has built in line doubler and elicits as many ooh's and aah's as the audio only used to!

P.S. - The ProScan has now been demoted to the kid's room for Nintendo duties.

I have never met a Q. with so many A.'s... you are an inspiration to us all with a unique blend of Klipsch daring do, audio space design & management, cabinetry wizard, and keeper of the secret of deriving empowerment from one's wife! But, tell me, friend Q, will she really let you put in black carpet with all those big red PWK initials? cwm38.gif

I hope you will share with us the dimensions and angles of your next HT room design. I chose Legends to build this current system for my mother's benefit in her rather compact San Francisco corner home. As long as her neighbors of 50 years remain hearing impaired, all will be well. cwm39.gif

My longer range plans include building a stout retirement home on sufficient acreage to be able to enjoy the full Klipschorn experience. By retrieving this thread, you are defining what the full Klipschorn experience can be! Contemplating your six-cornered room HT room design has set my head spinning Smile.gif with a smile that makes my financial advisor shudder!

I trust that you will get some sketches up on this BB so we can all follow your amazing Klipsch path.

cwm40.gif Now all you need is a good "Fog Horn" DVD to perform a maritime service by keeping ships at bay for miles around... Thanks for sharing... and please don't stop! HornEd

PS: What kind of ceiling and walls are you planning to build around your next HT extravaganza?

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-12-2001 at 01:55 AM

Not to rain on your parade but that room is WAY to small for all that equipment!!! Sure, it's nice to have all that stuff but the room looks cluttered and the living room seems like a big movie theater thats too small! The rear speakers are WAY to big for the size of the room and not proportional to the listeners seating position. I'm a bass player and listen to loud music all the time but home theaters that are as loud as yours become annoying and tiresome after a while...

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net

You fail to get the point,Wired1,it's not about LOUD,it's about tonal perfection.It doesn't have to be loud to sound perfect.K-Horns are to me and many others perfect in tone and sound as real as you can get,all on less than a watt a channel.I have listened to speakers in the $20K range needing a kilowatt or so to achieve what I do with 3/4watt and I only have $1200 in my Klipschorns.

Room to small for all that equipment,nah!

Q has what most or some of us would love to have;near perfict sound.And a system that doesn't need a zillion watts to drive to ear bleed levels.And the best part it all can be done with a single 20 amp circuit,not a small power station next door with stock in the local electric company.

Sorry,I don't mean to sound like I'm fussing,but....................

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

Evan,

DON'T DO IT! I too have a pair of LaScala's (on order) and want a nice finish, (wanted Oak veneer to match Khorns and Hersey II's)but asked SteveP and Qman how to finish them. I then cancelled the Raw's with 1 Dealer and then ordered a 2nd pair from another finished(who I have since stuck with faithfully). I just cancelled them, and changed back to Raw Birch (up here it's another 20% add on to finish 500+). I will redo them myself will stain and a couple of coats of finish.

I went around to refinishers($100 per speaker CDN with attaching oak veneer was the best deal I got), read SteveP's and Qmans ideas and decided on what they said. I will attach a link below for staining them.

They key thing is, it's "plywood" with a "veneer" finish. I originally asked for Oiled Oak finish to match my Khorns(93)and now Hersey II's (why Klipsch keeps the LaScala's in 3 finishes is beyond me, Raw, Black, or Lacquered). Now I want to try to match as best as possible to the finish of the Khorns and Hersey II's.

check this site out:

http://www.flecto.com/products/wat_ro.html

When they press the veneer to the wood it's done in a hydraulic press (ie. 5000 lbs force per square inch). You can't achieve this with clamps. In 5 years time it will peel off. Watch the corners start to go away.

strip em, sand em, and stain em IMO Smile.gif

*cheers*

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 06-17-2001 at 01:46 AM

Horn Ed & Wired 1

As Steve stated, loudness isn't the objective here, and that can be controled with the volume control. I must admit it would sound better to place the rear speakers another 6' behind the main listening area.

A new room is in the planning stages as mentioned in another post. I bought another pair of Klipschorns that I plan to use as front and rear center channel speakers. The front one will have a screen in front of it. This new set-up requires a new room which Horn Ed is talking about.

Horn Ed, I'll try to provide a drawing of this new room soon. I almost have the additon drawn up. It requires taking the roof off an existing part of the house for a second story. The largest I can get it is 20x39x10' cath. ceiling. It's 32' from front to rear stage because of all the Klipschorn corners, or niches. The present room is 15.5x27x8' cath. ceiling, but since it's open to the kitchen you have to add another 15.5x20' since that's really the cubic feet of the room. But the new room will be 1972 cubic feet larger then the sum of the present room plus the kitchen, which is a plus.

Something about the present room sounds so right, I still get goose bumps. I don't want to loose that, so I'm trying to figure out what it is. I've been testing some different wall constuction technics. The present room has a concrete slab floor and three block walls with 1.5" firing strips, insulation, and 0.5" dry wall. I can turn the volume up in the room to read 110 dB on a sound level meter, then go outside and place my hands on the walls behind the Klipschorns and feel only a slight vibration and barley hear anything. In another part of the house where I have stud walls I played a system at less volume and went to the outside of the walls to see what I could feel and hear. The siding was more then vibrating, it was actually moving. The sound was muffled, but loud. I can't have this, or I might end up having neighbor problems. Worse yet, I think all that vibrating will lead to room distortion. If I add this theater room upstaris on floor trusses with stud walls I think I'll end up being uphappy with it. I don't have the room to add it on the ground floor.

I might have to build another house with a seperate home theater room connected to the main house by only a hall way. Something like a detatched garage. Then I can have a slab floor and block walls. I like and hate the idea. I like the room idea, but hate thinking of the extra money. A new house will be conciderably more and I don't know if I'm prepared for that. In two years I'm undertaking a business venture. My accountant says not to worry, that he has investers to back me, not sure I can believe that. I think I better find a good business attorney this week and get his opinion before I spend more then I should. I'll keep you posted.

Let me know what you think about those SVS CS-ULTRA Subwoofers. I am thinking about a pair myself for the new room. Then I will use my present Sunfire Signature for a center channel only sub.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 06-17-2001 at 11:16 AM

Q-man... as I page through memories of "Sound Rooms I Have Built"... I remember one with a concrete slab floor and concrete blocks with the hollows filled with play sand. The large room had an esoteric shape to break up standing waves and accommodate the corner horns... plus a small stage. I don't remember the size... but I do remember it as being a favorite gathering place on the 36 acre estate.

I built another structure once that may spur your thought processes. I used straw bales held together with rebar rods and sprayed them with concrete (as in pool building). I was building a replica of a 12th century English church... but the end result was so acoustically exciting that I filed the thought away for some future time. The method is an approved construction method in California and provides a far sturdier and cost-effective structure than you might surmise.

I feel another structure coming on... so I especially appreciate your posts, pictures, drawings, etc. I have a particular interest in your experimentation with ceiling treatments and their effect on standing waves. Decades ago, PWK had some formulary approaches to room size (including ceiling height) but I believe that contemplated a two-ear:two-speaker music set-up. Life sure takes a dynamic turn when you build a roaring multi-speaker sonic jungle to explore and conquer!

Smash.gif Build on fellow Klipschers... a Klipsch end justifies diminished means! More later... HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-18-2001 at 05:45 AM

• 6 months later...