In ceiling subwoofer project.

sean5340

My home came with in ceiling 5.1 surround sound. It is all Sonance spekers with an 8" Sonance subwoofer. It sounds good except for the low bass and effects. I have a 15" home brew subwoofer powered by 1000 watt amp. I decided to make a switch.

There were a few issues with going IB. I needed to keep the bass down throughout the rest of the house for normal music listening and regular TV. The subwoofer was already built and is pretty badass. I didn't need to buy anything.

The improvement is amazing! The Sonance ceiling speakers actually sound good. Much improved with a BAS. Music is very nice especially jazz and acoustic. Lord of the Rings Return of the King giant elephant scene is incredible. I give myself a high five.

It's strange but all of the whispering scenes are much easier to understand. I don't know why.

IB would be ideal, but understand the bleed through to other rooms. How about a fully horn loaded sub ?

Bryant

IB: would a tube that vented through the roof solve the "bleed through" issue? If there is insulation in the attic similar to that in my Michigan home, "bleed through" would probably not be a serious issue, even without a vent to the outside.

Horn: A very large, i.e., efficient Tapped Horn could exit through a mouth that fits between joists.

The sealed sub might be sean5340's best option at this point, for those with an opportunity to think outside the box, IB or TH would be very interesting.

Edited by DizRotus

I may experiment with a horn in the future but for now my wife would kill me if I went back in the attic. I am pleased with the way this turned out. I don't have to change settings for movies, music or TV. I can feel earthquake type scenes in movies and jazz bass is spot on.

• Like 1