In ceiling subwoofer project.

sean5340

So, IB wouldn't produce more attic bass than a sealed enclosure?

Yes, it would, but the attic insulation eats it up.  The front wave is what penetrates to other rooms and you have the same effect with conventional subs that can produce the same frequencies.

I may experiment with a horn in the future but for now my wife would kill me if I went back in the attic. I am pleased with the way this turned out. I don't have to change settings for movies, music or TV. I can feel earthquake type scenes in movies and jazz bass is spot on.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Enjoy it.

The IB and/or TH suggestions are merely for others, or you,to consider in the future.

It sounds better than it looks ;)

You can also build an IB in a manifold.  Basically, you build a 5 sided box with one end open that fires into the room.  Mount one driver on each of the 4 sides and close the top.  There's less mechanical vibration that way and less openings in the wall.

The drivers look small in the picture but they're 18's.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

OK, I'll show my ignorance maybe but here goes; Just because you put a sub in the attic, you cant expect the results as you could with a proven IB built to specs correct? So if I was to go up in my attic and throw a driver up there by just cutting out enough room for it to fit, it would not give me the performance of a true IB correct? 

So if I was to go up in my attic and throw a driver up there

You'd need a minimum of two 18's in any decent sized room.  You'll also need a driver purpose built for this application.  You also need to brace the snot out of it or it will shake the walls to pieces over time.

It sounds better than it looks ;)

You can also build an IB in a manifold.  Basically, you build a 5 sided box with one end open that fires into the room.  Mount one driver on each of the 4 sides and close the top.  There's less mechanical vibration that way and less openings in the wall.

The drivers look small in the picture but they're 18's.

I have heard this as well, the woofers balance out the vibrations in the manifold so its less stress on your wall than a line array. Awesome install btw, its so clean I thought it was Photoshopped at first.