Look what's happening to lightbulbs...

Mallette

"For example, one of their products called the Pulse is a smart bulb that combines the energy efficiency of a dimmable LED light with the high-quality audio of a 13-watt JBL Bluetooth speaker. You can put Pulse into any standard light socket and you'll be able to adjust both the lighting and sound from an app (available on both iOS and Android).

The Pulse comes as a starter pack with one master and one satellite bulb (though it can connect up to six additional satellite bulbs for surround sound). It requires no speaker wires, power cords, or remote controls and works directly with the music on your device. You can literally make any room come alive with the sound of music."

To paraphrase Lum's, of the old Lum and Abner radio show, reaction to a console radio, I am not sure I hold with light bulbs that talk.  Of course, to us, "high quality" may mean something else but this does offer an interesting option for getting one's system sound to places you might not normally bother with. 

"But it's their next two products that are in the works that gave me a glimpse of how a smart bulb could truly become an integral part of your home's IoT infrastructure.

Sengled's Boost is an LED light combined with a Wi-Fi booster. It has the power to end Internet dead zones in your house as each bulb you connect increases the range of your Wi-Fi.

The last item they told me about is optimized for home security. Snap is an LED bulb, which contains an IP Camera, microphone, and speaker. The camera records video and stores it in the cloud. You can monitor it from an app whether at home or away and it can be used indoors and out. Features include facial recognition and motion detection, and since it just screws into a light socket, there is zero installation costs—it's all powered from the socket and has 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi for high-speed backhaul to the home router.

I am particularly enamored with this Snap light bulb video camera idea because it masks the camera in ways that make it less obvious."

Hmm...that sounds a bit scary.  However, extremely useful. 

Technology continues to accelerate as I grow older.  I saw my first TV at age 4.  The world hasn't so much changed as it has become pretty much unrecognizable from the world of my youth. 

Dave

Very cool, I have a set of Phillips Hue Bulbs and you can get them to flicker and strobe to the beat as well.  They are really fun to play with especially at parties.

Those other 2 futuristic bulbs sound very cool.  I know the hue has Wifi in them, so these do seem quite possible.  The only downside... expensive.  When I screw them in I use 2 hands, kind of funny.  I'd hate to drop a 60 bulb.

Those other 2 futuristic bulbs sound very cool

"The Pulse products are available now through Amazon, Home Depot, Best Buy, and Houzz. The Wi-Fi router Boost will ship in April and Snap, the bulb with the camera in it, will be available in July."

Future is pretty close...

Dave

Now if they would just make the f'ing light bulb last as long as they say it will they would really have something!  

I gotta say I was having trouble with light bulbs blowing all the time in part of my house. My house is about 127v but I guess it was getting spikes.  I replaced these with LED last year and so far so good not a single one has gone out. We have replaced almost all of them with LED bulbs. I don't mind spending the extra $$$.

Yep, its the CFLs that are variable.  Some last months, some last years. 

LEDs are SS devices and really should be almost indefinite.

Dave

LED bulbs have other associated circuitry in them that will not last indefinitely. Theoretically a long time, yes, forever, no.

I see a lots of products that come out as solutions looking for a problem. The problem with that is you start to dismiss all of the solutions and much later realize you could have used it for yourself.

Bruce