Klipsch Premiere crossover and bracing/driver pics?

ninjai18

Seeing those pics raises another question, why doesn't Klipsch simply place one of the air core coils at a right angle? Everyone who knows anything about coils will tell you that it is always better than having them laying flat right next to each other. It causes interference and cross talk between the inductors. This is basic stuff.

Am I dreaming?

• Moderators

Maybe it's a case of "It's not what you say, but how you say it"?  I agree, there is nothing wrong with asking questions as opposed to saying something like, "What was Klipsch thinking when they did it that way?  That goes against basic knowledge".....I think that type of statement comes across as very condescending or as "I know more than you do".   Not trying to be argumentative here, just saying this might be why your criticism isn't being well received.

• Like 2

Maybe it's a case of "It's not what you say, but how you say it"?  I agree, there is nothing wrong with asking questions as opposed to saying something like, "What was Klipsch thinking when they did it that way?  That goes against basic knowledge".....I think that type of statement comes across as very condescending or as "I know more than you do".   Not trying to be argumentative here, just saying this might be why your criticism isn't being well received.

Right, but these are simply basic crossover design facts as stated by people who have made many of them and information from well regarded sources. I am not saying these things to "piss people off" - I am saying this to insight a well needed upgrade across their higher end speakers. 

This isn't the first time around either though, initially it was that he decided the new R-115SW was a piece of junk because the box "probably" didn't have a small cross brace like an SVS, and was insistent that sombody tear theirs apart to prove or disprove this notion. When people do nothing but stuff like this with not much else to say, after awhile they tend to look like a troll.

on the contrary, i think it's a healthy discussion at times. i just don't think you're at all equipped to be the one initiating it.

I know plenty about audio to comment. I never said I was an "expert", but it doesn't take an expert to hear the very obvious improvement these crossover upgrades people are doing. I have now heard it first hand, and have absolutely no doubt that Klipsch customers across the board would prefer the sound. You are coming across as one those people that thinks only "experts" have the right to offer up any construction criticism, which is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

This isn't the first time around either though, initially it was that he decided the new R-115SW was a piece of junk because the box "probably" didn't have a small cross brace like an SVS, and was insistent that sombody tear theirs apart to prove or disprove this notion. When people do nothing but stuff like this with not much else to say, after awhile they tend to look like a troll.

And people like you tend to look like zealot fanboys. ;) Care to sight where I worded it as a "piece of junk"...? I love how you are now twisting my words. Wonderful crap slinging, you must be a politician or watch Fox News. ;) How dare I ask about detailed information. Klipsch is not traditionally known for well designed subs.

Edited by ninjai18

And people like you tend to look like zealot fanboys. ;) Care to sight where I worded it as a "piece of junk"...? I love how you are now twisting my words. Wonderful crap slinging, you must be a politician or watch Fox News. ;)

"Strongly implied", with words like terrible, flimsy, etc.

Remember when you were criticizing it because the port just didn't look big enough? :) I mean, make it taller and it should go lower right?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152435-a-few-new-reference-subs-for-your-booty/page-7#entry1837163

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

And people like you tend to look like zealot fanboys. ;) Care to sight where I worded it as a "piece of junk"...? I love how you are now twisting my words. Wonderful crap slinging, you must be a politician or watch Fox News. ;)

"Strongly implied", with words like terrible, flimsy, etc.

Remember when you were criticizing it because the port just didn't look big enough? :) I mean, make it taller and it should go lower right?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152435-a-few-new-reference-subs-for-your-booty/page-7#entry1837163

Oh I do indeed. These were critiques from a potential buyer. Nothing wrong with making observations and inquiring about them. ;) Lest you forget it's predecessor the SW-115, had "terrible" bracing. Read up about it on AVSForum. My only point was that there really are much better options like from HSU, SVS, Reaction Audio, PSA, Rythmik, ect for about the same cost. This is objectively true, no matter what your personal bias is. And before you say it, If someone is buying it for the looks or size, fine, I've got zero problem with that. I was arguing about performance, not personal preference or aesthetics.

Edited by ninjai18
  • Like 1

In regards to the zealot fanboy comment... since you don't get it, I'll explain. Everybody I've seen is very open to knowledgeable critiques.

Most recent example is Scrappy saying Klipsch made a mistake by taking their new Reference Premiere center channels, making it deeper than an RC-64ii, then adding a rear port on top of that. Well, yeah, I tend to agree. Another would be me saying that the R-115SW is a little boomy in the upper frequencies. Others have agreed. Real-world low frequency extension of the THX mains has as well as them sounding kinda boring come up several times and nobody gets offended. Same thing with various finishes. A favorite is turning noses up at aluminum compression drivers on the entry level stuff. Multiple people here have heard some palladiums and while they thought they were nice, they couldn't justify the price tag. Most owners of RF-7's think it sounds harsh and needs to be calmed down by swapping to a different value of resistor. I myself have said an RC-64ii sounds nasaly and sometimes boomy on certain male voices.

Nobody cares. If something is fixable such as with room acoustics or receiver setting, guys here will gladly help you with that. Otherwise it is usually brushed off as personal preference or just one of those things people have to deal with in their quest for perfection.

What people DON'T do here though, is get hellbent on changing a company's business practices due to something they really don't know much of anything about or have even seen or heard, but have read or overheard just enough to talk some lingo, offering way more shallow and snarky criticisms than anything positive, and won't listen to anything that much more knowledgeable people than themselves have to say. There's a difference.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

Ninjai,

As was previously noted, it is not what you are saying, but rather the way you are saying it. I think your comment about placing the coils at right angles is interesting and await Bob or Dean's response. Once again, there are ways to say things, and there are ways o say things.

As a sometime offender myself, I only offer this as an observation. Your comments are appreciated, but the delivery needs a bit of work (but the again, who am I to critique? :blink: ) .

• Like 1

Ninjai,

As was previously noted, it is not what you are saying, but rather the way you are saying it. I think your comment about placing the coils at right angles is interesting and await Bob or Dean's response. Once again, there are ways to say things, and there are ways o say things.

As a sometime offender myself, I only offer this as an observation. Your comments are appreciated, but the delivery needs a bit of work (but the again, who am I to critique? :blink: ) .

Very well put. This is all I want, people who respond to suggestions in a civil and humble manner. I didn't make these threads to be "mean" or upset anyone. Just my observations and things that I think would be helpful/want to see. I really wish things didn't descend into personal attacks and insults, that really was not my intention. I do apologize that things turned out that way. I hope we can all just get along and stop with the bickering.

Edited by ninjai18

I just read my initial post, yeah, it does sound a bit accusatory towards Klipsch. It sure could have been stated much less abrasive. Sorry again, everyone. :/ Hope we can try one more time. Sorry to Scrappy and Thadd, especially.

Edited by ninjai18
  • Like 1

• Moderators

This truly is a great community of folks who share a similar passion for audio. Differences of opinion are welcomed as it would be pretty boring if we all felt the same way. We just have to be careful that we don't come across as argumentative. Glad to see it all working out

• Like 3