Welding Plastic

Taz

Has anyone got any advice on welding Plastic.  I have a Heat gun and about 3/8th adapter.  Also have Large heating Irons.

Thought I'd practice on a garbage can before I try to do my Pelican case.

Yup. The owner has to cover shipping though, which for some of the larger sizes can become a cost factor.

There are two-part adhesive kits out there that will bond it no doubt, but the problem is that the larger Pelican cases are made using  Polypropylene with a higher percent of rubber toughener.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Some plastics are readily "weldible", other types, not at all.

I thought it interesting years ago when I ordered some large polyethylene tanks for a custom RV, they would "Spin Weld" on the fittings. Friction heat bonding, just plain melting together. Just plastic tank to fitting and friction. No adhesive, no solvents, nothing added to the joint.

All plastics different.  Lars

Best of luck. Isn't it easier to buy a new one?

JJK

Around $500 for new case.

Surely you realize that Pelican cases have a lifetime guarantee against breakage, and that this is void if you alter it. Send it to them before you jury rig it and they'll fix or replace it for free.

Nope.  I was not aware of lifetime guarantee.  $70 shipping both ways but looks like the way to go.

Thanks All.

Some plastics are readily "weldible", other types, not at all.

I thought it interesting years ago when I ordered some large polyethylene tanks for a custom RV, they would "Spin Weld" on the fittings. Friction heat bonding, just plain melting together. Just plastic tank to fitting and friction. No adhesive, no solvents, nothing added to the joint.

All plastics different.  Lars

This is correct, based on what I've heard, the non-weldable become brittle.  I spec a lot of plastic liners for secondary containment systems beneath AST's (above ground steel tanks), They come in various thicknesses, but 40 to 80 mil are quite popular. They deliver it to the site in large rolls, and the sheets are welded together in the field. I've seen a couple of different ways to weld plastic, it's pretty interesting stuff the way contractors lay it out.

Edited by Gilbert