what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/22728-fi-q-subwoofer-box-build-ideas-needed.html

"Sound quality in music requires a sealed sub to have a Q of .7. For the Q18 that means 20 cu. ft."

Say what?

With multiple subs the increase headroom, better FR and lower distortion should not make SQ and issue when integrated properly in the room.  Getting the bass right is the hardest thing in a multichannel setup that will also do music.  This is where a lot of people fall short.  Subs get blamed or they say it's a difficult room.  It may take days of experimentation, measurement, ect.

Edited by derrickdj1

With multiple subs the increase headroom, better FR and lower distortion should not make SQ and issue when integrated properly in the room.  Get the bass right is the hardest thing in a multichannel setup that will also do music.  This is where a lot of people fall short.  Subs get blamed or they say it's a difficult room.  It may take day of experimentation, measurement, ect.

I'm not blaming anything on the room and I'm sure these subs are fine for the most part. There are a few reproducible issues that annoy me but I mostly just want something that looks nicer and might as well try to do it as right as possible.

Otherwise, I just know what pro audio subs sound like with bass drum and bass guitar and wish I could get this sound in my room. I seriously doubt that some ultimaxes are going to let me do that. What I'm hoping for may be impossible but at the minimum I'm going to build a nicer looking box.

I have actually gone as far as wondering if I could integrate some pro subs along with some typical home theater subs. Probably would sound like a big pile of doo-doo though.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Ultimate?  I'd put 6kW on 4 of THESE.  You can always spend more (or less for that matter) but the Q's are in a league of their own as far as SQ goes.  My opinion only.

English please. :) What will these get me?

The Ficar will handle 2 and a half times more power that the SI.  It also has more x-max.  In real world terms you'll be able to go cleaner, louder and lower with these.  The Q is noted for accuracy and cleanness as well.  The SI is a better bang for you buck but you said ultimate, not inexpensive.  The Q is just a better driver.

The Fi Q is a great driver line. I have a 15" D2 here in the office for various prototyping purposes, actually. 

The Ficar IB drivers are THE drivers for building IB's in homes.

Most people go for either the least or most expensive driver they can find for HT for some reason.  I do however know where there's a Q15 in a tapped horn right now in someone's house ;).  Let me go over to the avsforum and see if I can find any Q builds for HT.

Carl, that driver specs out with some crazy looking curves. I may be doing something wrong in WinISD. I can see using them in a sealed car sub cause you would get cabin gain. I must be doing something wrong here... 

In the recommended sealed enclosure, 6cu ft, the sub is -3db at 107Hz. In the recommended ported enclosure, 8cu ft tuned to 28Hz, there is a big 5db dip between 33 and 90Hz, and if you don't count that, the driver is -3db at about 27Hz with a very steep roll off of 24db/octave.

Here is the graph. Is it something I did wrong??

post-47699-0-63480000-1429655970_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy

I have actually gone as far as wondering if I could integrate some pro subs along with some typical home theater subs. Probably would sound like a big pile of doo-doo though.

ok here is a thought. and as long as i have the room this will be exactly what i will be doing when i move if i have room. what about some pro style subs from 40-80. i will be doing dual kpt-684's. then get two more sealed 18's for a total of 6-8 drivers. 2-4 pro paper cones that can just rip from 40-80hz and then 4 sealed subs to destroy the foundation into the ULF area's? i will keep 4 up front and then 4 near field for a total of 12 18's eventually.

that kpt-884 i had you would have loved cory. it was so clean and effortless from18 on up.

maybe some 684's could be played on sides with the granite top on them and some nice looking grills? klipsch pro emblem on some sweet cloth grills?  

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Otherwise, I just know what pro audio subs sound like with bass drum and bass guitar and wish I could get this sound in my room. I seriously doubt that some ultimaxes are going to let me do that. What I'm hoping for may be impossible but at the minimum I'm going to build a nicer looking box.

Let me first say I know nothing much about subs but if you're looking for rock concert reinforcement subs what about BFM Titans or Tubas?

Let me first say I know nothing much about subs but if you're looking for rock concert reinforcement subs what about BFM Titans or Tubas?

Don't rule out the lilmike subs.

ok here is a thought. and as long as i have the room this will be exactly what i will be doing when i move if i have room. what about some pro style subs from 40-80. i will be doing dual kpt-684's. then get two more sealed 18's for a total of 6-8 drivers. 2-4 pro paper cones that can just rip from 40-80hz and then 4 sealed subs to destroy the foundation into the ULF area's? i will keep 4 up front and then 4 near field for a total of 12 18's eventually.

that kpt-884 i had you would have loved cory. it was so clean and effortless from18 on up.

maybe some 684's could be played on sides with the granite top on them and some nice looking grills? klipsch pro emblem on some sweet cloth grills?

Many people would consider this weird, but based on what I know I like as well as my limited knowledge on how everything works, personally I keep thinking something like four Eminence Definimax's up front in a small box then some massive something or anothers in the back for real low LFE would be amazing. I have 4' between the seats and the walls, all kinds of room for a ridiculous ported or horn setup, but placing them there sounds weird with the upper subwoofer frequencies. Those Klipsch R-115SW's sounded killer back there from 20-30 hz though and I'm tempted to try something like that again but with some more powerful 18's that are crossed over lower.

Actually two KPT-684's up front would be killer for heavy metal but I'm almost afraid to ask about the cinema line again. ;) Those things and maybe some ported ultimax's behind the seat... goodness.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Also are you guys aware of an amp that works great for home theater subs and is, well, black? :) I only work with black, and sometimes very very dark gray. Want something that looks like a stealth fighter. iNuke's look kinda cheap.