Marantz equivalent to Pioneer SX-1250

dbomberger

So I wanted a nice looking vintage SX-1250.  Found one, had it in the shop for 8 months waiting my turn to have it rebuilt.  No sooner did I get it home than another one found me (literal but long story). So now I have two.  In the midst of all this there was a lot of debate in the small circle of people in which this took place about the relative merits of Pioneer vs. some Marantz 2200 series receivers. I just remember Marantz being the units that I felt were just out of my reach when I originally purchased early 70's stereo equipment in a PX in Taiwan.  Since I don't have access to much Marantz knowledge I'd be curious to hear from some members here how a Marantz of the same vintage as the SX-1250 might sound, and which model might be the most desirable to have.  Since one my 1250's will have to find a new home, I might be interested in a Marantz as I have places for more than one system and can't seem to leave well enough alone.  Thoughts?

Edited by dbomberger

The 1250 is very tough to beat. Your best chance sonically, is the Marantz 2330 (not the 2330B) receiver. This is head and shoulders above any other Marantz receiver IMO.

Power wise, you could get a Marantz 2385, and it would compete power wise, but that is where the similarities end.

One could very well prefer the 2330 over the SX-1250. It is a matter of tastes. I love them both!

• Like 1

I owned a Marantz 2500 for a few months and i can say it was a monster.  250 x 2. I think it was the second most powerful receiver Marantz produced.  I'm not sure how it would compare to the 1250 in other areas, but in shear power it would compare favorably.

• Like 1

Hey now, what's wrong with 2330B? Fifty pounds, 130 watts, dual power supply, and gorgeous especially in the wood case. Great sounding, perhaps more modern compared to older models. They are relatively rare. Keep in mind I have a 2270, 2235B, and 2230 also for comparison.

Edited by absolve2525
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with the 2330B.... It seems to be a tad more analytical sounding than the older Marantz gear. Not a bad thing, but not my preference.

The 2330 is just so beautiful in the midrange and very dimensional. Something that really stands out to me.

• Like 1

I have the Marantz 2330 and it is utterly amazing. I did lots and LOTS of research before purchasing the 2330. I wanted the BEST sounding marantz receiver and through my research, lots of people say the 2330 is it. It has that classic famous marantz sound with lots of power. It is awesome. Sounds incredible on my cf4's. I am changing directions and looking to run some jub scales, active crossover, with separates so i have 2330 for sale now is garage sale section. 

Do your research on the marantz receivers of that era and see what you find. Hope i helped,

Alex

Edited by alexg5775
  • Like 1

The question no one has asked yet, is...are you only powering the Cornwall I's for 2 channel, and considering a Marantz for that?  If so, there's no reason you shouldn't also be looking at lower power Marantz units as well....I have a 2230, and a 2226B that sound super sweet through Cornwalls, Belles and Heresy's....Just a thought....

• Like 2

The question no one has asked yet, is...are you only powering the Cornwall I's for 2 channel, and considering a Marantz for that?  If so, there's no reason you shouldn't also be looking at lower power Marantz units as well....I have a 2230, and a 2226B that sound super sweet through Cornwalls, Belles and Heresy's....Just a thought....

Toss the Marantz 1060 and 1070 into the mix if that's indeed the case . I have the 1070 35w and keeping my eye out for a nice 1060 now after hearing it. I had a 2225 as well for awhile and it was nice.

Edited by ajoker2c
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Understand.  I have an seem to be acquiring more speakers as this habit takes hold-but really just looking to have two, maybe three systems in different places, two homes at the moment as well-though retirement is likely to result in just one.