Grand Prix

mustang guy

I'm on my phone so pardon the autocorrect. No glasses either.

I want to go to the Indy Grand Prix. Does anybody have recendatuims?

It's a very interesting race, they actually go the opposite direction than the MotoGP (bikes) do. They tested new aero kits on the oval last Sunday, and 2 Penske cars were instantly up to 228. The GP race cars are quite a bit different though. 

A general admission ticket is only $30, and that lets you go about anywhere. The mounds are a cool place to watch, you can get within 40-50 feet from the cars braking or accelerating, awesome feeling. The crowd last year was around 70k people, which seemed completely vacant. Indy gets you in and out in a hurry.

They did replace all 16 large exterior TV screens with new ones that are much larger, and have a lot better picture. The local hotels know how to treat people also, unlike some cities. The F1 race in Austin is an example of gouging the public….$8 bottles of water, hotels quadrupling their normal rates. I noticed in Austin a Hampton Inn an hour away was $600 per night! Their ticket sales will suffer from that.

There is a chance of rain Sunday, but I believe they race in the rain. If you need any help finding a place to stay, or where to stay away from, just ask. I think Indy is on of the nicest cities around, it's very clean, and they appreciate the crowds.

Also, I'm not sure if you've been there or not, but you have to at least watch a little bit of the race or practice along the front stretch on the outside. It's in the shade under a balcony, but the cars flying by over 200 mph with the engine sound  reverberating under that shelter will bring goose bumps. Come back in August for the MotoGP bike race, they are louder than the cars, and faster down the straight.

I know a seller that gets premium seats, but his prices aren't exactly cheap.  PM me if you're interested.

HAHA. I just now saw the results of my post. 

I just checked my calender and found out there is no way I can go to the race after all. My son is graduating from college Saturday. I thought the races were another week away.  

Oh well... I will watch it again on TV. The first race was very exciting.

Does Klipsch have a car this year again??

Attended several F1 races at Indy along with a couple Moto GP's. And I think you are correct; just buy the cheapest ticket for admission and sit in the infield. You are within 15-20 yards of the track at several chicanes and the sound from the last generation of F1 cars at close range is indescribable. They sound good now but the new engine design has eliminated the 19,000rpm shriek from a few years ago. No matter still incredibly engineered machines. Very much the same as NHRA nitro cars - sound from TV does them no justice. Gotta'be there to hear/feel 'em.

If anyone attends, enjoy.

• Like 1

• Administrators

No Klipsch car in this year's race, as our deal with Josef Newgarden (who just won his first IndyCar race a couple weeks ago!) has expired. But the Grand Prix is a fun race, even in the rain (which it did last year). I think it's a great addition to the month of May.