Craigslist in your town

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I spend a fair amount of time searching for audio gear in my area and log on multiple times a day. I always select 'newest.' Lots of gear available for fair prices, but nothing is selling. It seems like CL has slowed down over the last couple months here and I'm just wondering if others are experiencing this in their town?

• Like 1

Thats because its so dam cold up there everybody's enjoying the sunshine while they can.  :D My area seems to go in spurts, gets kinda slow then JUST after you buy something, a better one comes along at a slightly better price. Dangit!

A lot of people over price their gear for sentimental or other reasons. I price my stuff to sell. Probably leave a little money on the table, but it goes quick. Haha.

Ah, The CL

Last year just about this time i was done (for the year) getting rid of the old and shopping for the new.

First i gave myself a Radius of 1000 miles.

Looking at every CL within that radius, id no sooner get home than spot yet another find.

$999Khorns, $1000Scalas, $1000Bells and all within two months.

I find if i really want something, expand the radius and searchtempest is a fav.

I don't know if you mean Klipsch stuff on CL, or audio in general on CL.  I find the Klipsch stuff is available where there were Klipsch dealers, ie, ONE in WV and that was 30 years ago.  So, rare Klipsch sightings where I live.

+++

In general, we have little audio equipment as well.  We are overrun with car audio and especially car subs, usually about 6 out of the first 10 listings on my local CL.

I've never purchased anything pre-owned. I've never sold anything either. I suppose I need to overcome my risk vs. reward concern. Just figured I was buying into someone else's problems. Might have to explore the 2nd hand market sometime.

• Like 1

I've never purchased anything pre-owned. I've never sold anything either. I suppose I need to overcome my risk vs. reward concern. Just figured I was buying into someone else's problems. Might have to explore the 2nd hand market sometime.

You might just find out that you can afford better speakers??

Roger

• Like 1

You're missing out. It's quite fun really.

AND... you can make new friends!

Roger

Guest Steven1963

Roger

:blink:

Roger

You have never made like minded aquaintances when picking up gear at someones home? I think that speaks volumes and it isn't good!

Roger

lol....  my RF/C/S-7's are like a comfortable pair of shoes. Owned them for 14 years... pretty much since the day they came out. 

They've been great for HT & have matched well with every space I've put them. Not sure what I would upgrade to.

• Like 2

Every speaker I own is pre-owned....90% of my gear is pre-owned.....

MKP :-)

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Roger

You have never made like minded aquaintances when picking up gear at someones home? I think that speaks volumes and it isn't good!

Roger

Really it hasn't been that bad. I just never considered keeping in touch with them.

• Like 1

Every speaker I own is pre-owned....90% of my gear is pre-owned.....

MKP :-)

That's good feedback, it might help to push me off the fence one day.

I just went on my CL.. & found a Belle, La Scala's,  Heresy's & pair of RF-7's.

Seems rather abundant for my area.

• Like 2

lol....  my RF/C/S-7's are like a comfortable pair of shoes. Owned them for 14 years... pretty much since the day they came out. 

They've been great for HT & have matched well with every space I've put them. Not sure what I would upgrade to.

HMMMmm?? Here is a thought....

Something that was actually invented by PWK like used LaScalas or used Klipschorns1 I bought an RF-7 setup for my parents and the difference in Clarity is considerable if you can actually A/B them.

Just get in touch with Youthman, he is a moderator here and has owned the RF-83's, RF-7s, RF-7IIs all at the same time and did not like the way the LaScalas looked, but he bought a pair used and it made him a believer. He bought a third LaScala and uses them for his front three in his home theatre and did a big write up on it with many pictures.

If sound is important to you, you will find someone on the forum close to you and listen to some Heritage models for yourself!!

Have a fun trip down the Rabbit hole!!

Roger

• Like 1

Sure, I have had the just pick up a pair of Klipschorns for $500 and get them outta here, but I also bought an RF-7 for my mom off a guy on Craigslist that is only 1.5 hours away. We spent better than 1.5 hours talking Audio and listening to his fully restored Altec V.O.T.T.s on a diet of tubes and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. My brother in Law owns Klipschorns and Altec Studio Monitor 19s and I am not impressed by the 19s at all. but I did meet someone new, not terribly far away, with similar interests.... No different than finding a forum friend here!

Roger

Roger

Roger

Really it hasn't been that bad. I just never considered keeping in touch with them.

HMMMmm?? Here is a thought....

Something that was actually invented by PWK like used LaScalas or used Klipschorns1 I bought an RF-7 setup for my parents and the difference in Clarity is considerable if you can actually A/B them.

Just get in touch with Youthman, he is a moderator here and has owned the RF-83's, RF-7s, RF-7IIs all at the same time and did not like the way the LaScalas looked, but he bought a pair used and it made him a believer. He bought a third LaScala and uses them for his front three in his home theatre and did a big write up on it with many pictures.

If sound is important to you, you will find someone on the forum close to you and listen to some Heritage models for yourself!!

Have a fun trip down the Rabbit hole!!

Roger

Good suggestions & candidates for future consideration. My current space is average 14' x 16' x 8' & I always presumed that La Scala's or (say a new series such as the KTP-904's) were for use with much larger spaces. But, clarity, dynamic range... is clarity & dynamic range no matter the space. Something to think about.

Funny, I had recently posted about a possible amp change in my set-up, purely for the mundane, practical need of expansion. Wasn't spending $$$ to drastically change SQ per say (just the need for more channels). Your approach would be $$$ spent to improve/enhance the SQ experience, where the impact would be more tangible. Food for thought.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

I spend a fair amount of time searching for audio gear in my area and log on multiple times a day. I always select 'newest.' Lots of gear available for fair prices, but nothing is selling. It seems like CL has slowed down over the last couple months here and I'm just wondering if others are experiencing this in their town?

I haven't needed anything lately but the last time I did I found some Chorus IIs in moderate but fully working shape for $200.