Steven Tyler goes country

minermark

I love Hootie, "Darius ditches his band and goes country" not so much.

Everybody who does this has money signs in their eyes. Sales start becoming stagnant and they follow the money. Jewel even tried it. Kind of ridiculous.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

That may be but I'm not thinking about that when I'm listening to him sing.  It's like butter.

It's not the singing in itself that bothers me. Back in the Hootie days he sang from the heart. There was some deeply personal stuff in albums like Cracked Rear View. When he went country, he started leaning on other established songwriters and the songs started sounding more like a carefully sculpted equation for success. He turned into a glorified karaoke singer. It is way different. He didn't just add some banjos. The musical style of several songs especially the instrumental fillers just screams of mercenary Nashville studio artists and therefore sounds fake to me.

My dad's best friend kinda knew him. They used to play in bars around Charleston for like 50 people at the most in college and he went to several shows.

Anyway, I wouldn't care except I was a huge fan back in the 90's. Can't get those songs out of my head when I listen to him now. Regardless of the lyrics, I feel that Hootie had a synergy together where they could be successful while being themselves and not being overly complex. All that has flown out the window in my opinion. He is a great singer though.

• Moderators

Yep that's her. I don't understand why when I copy the link from the correct page it translates back to the other one.

Maybe this will help,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_%28singer%29

She lives in Stephenville and Austin, or at least she did. Used to see her at several music venues here.

Must be a different 'Jewel'.

Isn't that like saying it must be a different Madonna? :)

Yee haw, just do what you've always done but add a fiddle, boots, hats, maybe a mandolin and steel guitar, and boom, you're on the country radio station making bucks. These things have a very simple formula.

• Like 1

Yee haw, just do what you've always done but add a fiddle, boots, hats, maybe a mandolin and steel guitar, and boom, you're on the country radio station making bucks. These things have a very simple formula.

Hootie agrees.  Aint that right Hootie?  :)  

darius.jpg

• Like 1