TV Question

dtel

Bought from a local dealer last was a 65" Panasonic plasma - wonderful set!  We thought the smart tv stuff was gimmicky but found ourselves streaming the Prime and Netflix quite a bit!  Just went to a projector again and now we miss the smart features!  :)

• Like 1

Got my Panasonic and Sammy from Best Buy. They priced matched the Panny and I found the Sammy deeply discounted and could not leave the store without it. I've heard Costco has some good deals.

With plasma out and LED's being king atm till OLEDS become more affordable I'd look into a FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) Led tv. They tend to produce better blacks, and better overall PQ than their side lit cousins,

• Like 1

• Moderators
I'd look into a FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) Led tv. They tend to produce better blacks, and better overall PQ than their side lit cousins,

I have read about that but didn't know how much difference it would make.

A couple models I am looking at has full backlit and dimming.

One is this model

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-65%22-Class-(64.5%22-Diag.)-1080p-Smart-LED-HDTV-E65-C3.product.100142465.html

what it says

• Full-Array LED Backlight – Distributes LEDs behind the entire screen delivering superior light uniformity and picture performance.
  • 16 Active LED Zones™ – Dynamically adjusts the LED backlight per zone creating deeper, more pure black levels and higher contrast

Another is the one Sancho pointed out 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1077331&is=REG&A=details&Q=

It is even better as far as backlight

Active LED Zones x64 (Local Dimming)

Local dimming dynamically adjusts the LED backlighting in each area of the screen to match the content on the screen. This technology is designed to optimize picture contrast with detailed and deep black levels   One thing this model also has which should help is   V6 Six-Core Processor A V6 six-core processor comprised of a quad-core GPU and a dual-core CPU is designed to deliver advanced graphics processing, fast usability, enhanced menu navigation, and a fluid smart TV experience      

The only thing is you can not connect a computer to either one as far as I can tell.   The only model I found that you can connect a computer to is the sharp, all of these are about the same price which makes it a pain in the butt to compare/decide.    

Edited by dtel

To be honest I am hoping the digital out ( optical ) has decent sound so I can run it to the stereo, that would be nice. It looks like the digital output is on all TV's now.

Make certain of that cause TV I got has HDMI/component/composite no optical.

Nice thing about Costco (I'm sure Sams is the same) is the 45 day no questions return period. On my first LCD purchase we went through a couple of TVs before we found one we liked. Costco was happy to take the ones we didn't like back. And if you loose the receipt they will look it up for you to boot. 

• Moderators

To be honest I am hoping the digital out ( optical ) has decent sound so I can run it to the stereo, that would be nice. It looks like the digital output is on all TV's now.

Make certain of that cause TV I got has HDMI/component/composite no optical.

Yes I need to make sure, or can I connect both another way.

• Moderators

The only thing is you can not connect a computer

When you say cannot connect to a computer do you mean as a monitor? If so they make adapters for DVI or D-Sub to hdmi so you can hook up your computer and use it for a monitor.

Yes as a monitor, and no I didn't know (apparently)  :o  :D Well that helps, I couldn't figure out why for the most part only one company has a computer connection. Never thought about an adapter.  :emotion-21: It's why I hope I don't have to do this but every 10 years, problem is by then everything has changed.

Edited by dtel

We buy them from Costco or Sams because of their prices and generous warranty positions. Last one I got was a Sony 70" LED from Costco. We have been real happy with it.

Note: The digital out quality on TVs is actually dumbed down a little for copy protection.

• Moderators

Were going to be thrilled to just have a normal picture again, the picture is so bad in the first 5 minutes you can't even read the menu to find what's on, it much better after it's warmed up. These things happen with old age. :(

Thanks everyone for all the ideas

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2