Computer Guys - Email Server Question

tigerwoodKhorns

sign up for Office 365, share your login credentials with your wife, call it a day.

I thought about that.  I will need to log off, have her log on and clean everything up.  Then log off. 

If I use a cloud based email, I want the ability to back it up on my local drive and access it locally as an archive.  There must be a way.  Once a matter is completed, I need to keep a backup of everything for that client in one folder, and if I have it locally, there will be many copies because of my Raid and other redundant backups. 

Things can get really crazy and come in quickly.  Ideally we can both be on at the same time and she can get everything in order while I work.  But that looks to require a more complicated setup with an exchange server.  Or can IMAP do this? 

Max,

How do you like Thunderbird?  I am considering switching. 

It seems like your workflow is unnecessarily complicated as well. It might be good to pick a service and adapt/simply your approach.

Not really.  Maybe I do need to change.

I get many emails with "document" or some other useless heading in the subject line (at least let me knwo what client and matter).  Or multiple copies of the same docuemtns sent by computers at title companies. 

It wastes my time going through these.  If an assistant can do this and sort everything into my subfolders and make a task list, it will save me time every day.

Don't ever put your pst file anywhere but on your local drive. Microsoft says don't do it and they have a good reason. Our school used to had pst files on users network shares. Not a good idea for various reasons, but we finally got enough storage on our exchange server to import everything back into each users inbox.

Now, we are in the middle of changing to gmail. It's way different, but can be really be powerful using labels, which are actually filters you set up. Labels make it look like there are folders, but when you realize that Google is a great search engine, multiple labels can be on one email or type, and search with different paramters.

Sheesh, that was just too confusing.

If you want to stick with Outlook, I would look at having a hosted exchange server.

Bruce

Just my .02 cents, Google mail in a Government or Corporate envinorment just plain SUCKS, We went from Exchange to Google Mail about a year and a half ago, and it is nothing but a nightmare. There is a learning curve to it that folks have a hard time grasping when they were raised on Exchange and Outlook. Exchange and Outlook are so much more robust, there simply isn't any comparison.

Just my .02 cents, Google mail in a Government or Corporate environment just plain SUCKS, We went from Exchange to Google Mail about a year and a half ago, and it is nothing but a nightmare. There is a learning curve to it that folks have a hard time grasping when they were raised on Exchange and Outlook. Exchange and Outlook are so much more robust, there simply isn't any comparison.

I agree wholeheartedly!!! It's a pain, and we've only rolled it out to the folks in the IT department (where I work). I can't imagine what it will be like when all the faculty come back this Fall, after moving everyone over.

Don't ever put your pst file anywhere but on your local drive. Microsoft says don't do it and they have a good reason. Our school used to had pst files on users network shares. Not a good idea for various reasons, but we finally got enough storage on our exchange server to import everything back into each users inbox.

Now, we are in the middle of changing to gmail. It's way different, but can be really be powerful using labels, which are actually filters you set up. Labels make it look like there are folders, but when you realize that Google is a great search engine, multiple labels can be on one email or type, and search with different paramters.

Sheesh, that was just too confusing.

If you want to stick with Outlook, I would look at having a hosted exchange server.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I did some research and it looks like Thad's advice of Office 365 might be the solution.

Please let me know if this is correct.

Office 365 will use a .ost file because it is an exchange server (cloud based) and it will keep a copy in the cloud and on my HD, and sync up when I log in. 

Can my wife log in at the same time as I am logged in (or maybe a shared mailbox)? 

Do I need two copies of Office 365 and do I need the business version?

You an share a mailbox with a regular Exchange account, assigning rights to the person it is shared with. The ost files means you are running in cached exchange mode.

We would occasionally have issues where the files wouldn't sync. Do you use a laptop or desktop? Logging on and off will make the cached versions sync with what's online. If your mailbox gets huge, it can take a long time. (this caused a few of our employees to force the log off or shutdown, breaking the synchronization. Sometimes screwing up the data).

You will probably need a license for both users (you and your wife).

Do you need Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc... or do you already have a pretty new version of Office?    You could just get Exchange online but you might like some of the additional benefits of Office 365.  You need to be sure that whatever plan you choose includes archival services for discovery and compliance.  Office 365 (comes with Office and Exchange account)  and Exchange Online (just the Exchange account) limit you to 50 GB on mail but the archive service is unlimited.   From what I hear at this point I would not talk to any other hosted Exchange service other than MS.  They have a trial period... give them a call with your questions and try it out.

The 50 GB limit is not the end of the world as long as the archival search and retrieval is quick and easy.  It forces you to keep your email more organized and archived.

Thunderbird moved 18K+ messages from Outlook 2003 to itself and and that folder is showing to be 2G in size. You're still way over that, but it might still work and be free.  I can also still access Outlook, I just cant use it due to the limited encryption it offers.  I have Thunderbird setup "visually" very similar to Outlook, but I'm a basic email user with basic attachments although some of them are large files.

Thunderbird moved 18K+ messages from Outlook 2003 to itself and and that folder is showing to be 2G in size. You're still way over that, but it might still work and be free.  I can also still access Outlook, I just cant use it due to the limited encryption it offers.  I have Thunderbird setup "visually" very similar to Outlook, but I'm a basic email user with basic attachments although some of them are large files.

One folder or several folders?  Did thunderbird recognize sub folder? 

Probably a moot point as I have been advised to keep using Outlook.