Need suggestions for sub test (or where is Dave Mallette?)

wvu80

I completed my new DIY 15" Parts Express sealed kit

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7093

And added a Yung SD500 500w plate amp w/bass boost. 

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500-6-500w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-25-hz--301-514

I have been using it for a couple of weeks, and now I am ready to test.  This is a 2.1 system with the CF-4's and the single 15" sub, pretty much near-field.  I'm guessing Dave Mallette has some organ music in mind that can test the bass.  B)  

I have listened to different versions of Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and I like the orchestral versions, but here is an organ only version I found that seems to be played pretty well.  The organist seems to stop in all the right places to linger on the big chords we all like to hear.  :D

Any other suggestions?

Edited by wvu80

You want amazing organ bass then you must listen to Mussorgsky - Pictures at Exhibition it's a full digital recording.  I am not sure of the track but it digs into the teens Hz and below.  For more modern bass try Techmaster P.E.B. I used to use it my my car system to show off the subsonics.  A song on the Titanic soundtrack also has some incredible low bass.  

Here is a Techmaster P.E.B. that goes pretty low.

If your amp and subs can go through this whole album unscathed then you have a hell of a set up.  It used to make my Orion 2100 HCCA get hot enough to cook eggs on but the Orion NT12 subwoofers never faultered.

It makes my Velodyne HGS-15's move objects in other rooms and make it difficult to breathe in the same room.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

My favorite is an old CD called BachBusters.  Basically this guy recorded a bunch of Bach songs on a keyboard and put some hard hitting bass in there.  

Jam out to this hard.  The second one at 22 seconds is fun as hell.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Dave, I'll bet your CF-4s and that 15" DIY sub REALLY shake things up.  I "wimped out" w/ a 12" Outlaw that goes down to about 16Hz.  And, the truth is--bass and HT purists, please forgive me--that I am really very satisfied.  I know the 15" that I was thinking I would build (Stonehenge) would have been fantastic, but its physical size would have become a placement and an aesthetic issue. 

But, back to your setup, I can imagine how much pleasure those fine speakers give you--hour after month after years!

It's about time you finished up on that project, lol. Great job! I think with the sub nearfield the sub will have a roll also as a mid-bass module and should be an excellent addition to the system.

LOL!  I'm not slow, I'm just deliberate.  :D  

And remember "finished" is a relative term.  I wanted to listen to it so I put it together but it is still raw MDF.  I really do like black speakers because I want them to blend into the background and not be seen, but I would also like to try my hand at veneer.  A nice flat cube gives me some options.  If I really wanted it to match, the CF-4 has a black front baffle and the Oak veneer on all the other surfaces.

This is the DIY kit Cheap Thrill top left, 15" Celestion woofer, 12" SEOS waveguide, DNA 360 CD.  The Dayton Audio DIY Reference 15" sub is below that, with the CF-4 to the right.

It's probably perspective, but the CF-4 is bigger than it looks in the picture, and the sealed sub is actually a fairly compact 20x20x20 approx size.

post-58280-0-06300000-1433821391_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

A good song to hear nice tight bass is the song Sly from Massive Attack. I use that song a lot to test out speakers.  My Epics without subs vibrate the couch with this song., though I'm sure it helps that I am on a suspended wood floor. 

Those big speakers look good and I can see why a veneer  would be a good option.

I'm a little afraid of veneer because I haven't done it before, so for me I know black paint is the coward's way out.  :rolleyes:

However, there are plenty of Youtube vids I need to study. Then when I'm ready I'll get some practical advice online here and AVSforum.com.  I'll practice on some scrap MDF, fill/sand the boxes, and then take the plunge, probably first with the sub.  I installed my first T-nuts with the sub so I feel pretty comfortable in taking out the driver without ruining the screw holes.  The only caveat is that there is a nice roundover on the sub, and my understanding is veneer does not like roundovers.