Anyone running 7ii's flanking display as phantom center?

gadgtfreek

I will just curious as to distances and other tips. As much as I enjoy moving speakers around...

Their quality of sound running 2 channel made me curious. It's obvious when I flip from all speakers to those two for music, but maybe HT will vary. It seems the 7ii's are more than capable of handling a PC role though, but I guess you gotta flank the display pretty well.

I found that if you have really worked hard to get your speakers placed properly and towed in correctly for stereo then it translates well into a phantom center application. That being said, the further you sit from the 'sweet spot' the more you will lose the effect. I have my KG 5.5's set at about 7 ft apart and towed in to where they meet about 6'' behind my listening position and it works quite well. Take into account room acoustics too and use an SPL meter. I have curtains on one side of my room where a window is and need to run my left channel +4 db's to make everything even or the voices pull too much to the right.

Edited by twk123
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I agree TWK.

I would set the front mains to sound good in stereo, making the sound centered and the only thing you would lose is you would have a smaller sweet spot like TWK said, to me phantom sounds better than a center that can't keep up or sounds different.

About distances, put them somewhat narrow and try it, keep moving the wider, at some point no matter how you toe them in it will start to have a hole in the center and you will hear it, adjust from there. I say this because our room is 24' wide and we sit 15' back, I have the HT mains sitting on top bigger 2 ch speakers which are against the side walls. Before the center it sounded ok spread out around 12'-14' apart (forte ll's) now with the same center they can go to the side walls. They can be spread a good distance before you hear a problem, depends on the room also.

I couldn't imagine the Rf-7 ll having any problem making up for a phantom center, get it positioned right it go for it.  :emotion-21:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

I have RF-7II's and set them up in an equilateral triangle. With them coming together just behind my head sitting on the sofa. They are toed in so the horns are facing me squarely about 12ft apart.  When I do stereo, the phantom center is fantastic.

I have RF-7II's and set them up in an equilateral triangle. With them coming together just behind my head sitting on the sofa. They are toed in so the horns are facing me squarely about 12ft apart.  When I do stereo, the phantom center is fantastic.

Well, that's how  stereo is supposed to work. :)

The question would be how it compares on material that is designed to have a center channel given this is in the Home Theater section of the forum? I gather Gadget is considering getting rid of his center channel and he's not going to run surrounds.

• Like 1

It seems that the OP is leaning towards a really nice 2 channel system and I wonder in connection with my post above, what settings on 5.1+ source material (i.e., Digital or Dolby Surround) do you choose and what setting in the AVR for sound processing? Iow, what happens to the surround material for 5.1 in a situation using only 2 (or even 3) speakers up front?

Edited by tkdamerica

• 2 months later...