Scared to crank my Klipsch's

Orange Peel

With people talking about their stuff clipping and blowing up their speakers, I'm VERY afraid to crank up the volume on my Klipsch RF-3's and RC-3.

I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR-125, 45w x 5 channels, and 55w x 2 channels. I have turned the volume up somewhat loud, and it sound great, REALLY great! When I'm watching movies, and a scene comes on where there's a ton of action, gun fire, or sword fighting, and there's so much high pitch noise, it just seems like the speakers are gonna explode. I'm sure I'm overreacting, I just don't want to damage anything. Do you think there's anyway I would kill one of these speakers? It may just be that I'm not used to the horn tweeter (first pair of Klipsch), and the high's are just SO clear and loud, that it's normal, and could handle more volume, and I'm freaking out for nothing.

Any help or calming words would be greatly appreciated!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 08-14-2002 at 12:36 AM

I have an outlaw 1050, 65 watts X 5, on 2 channel i have maxed it out to its full power!

(Test for the future teens)

Afterwards using an OHM meter every driver checked out just fine, and i did not do this for long! 10- 15 seconds!

The thing is, at full volume, you could not stay in the room! Or even near that point!

Do not use full volume, on anything, you could loose the tweeter as well as the amp!

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim. I wouldn't go near full volume anyways, my ears would be bleeding Smile.gif I just want to be able to turn it up to the threshold of tolerability (is that a word?) and not have to worry about the amp or speakers taking a dump.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

You will be just fine, nothing to be afraid of, me ive tried everything once, and that one, i would never do with the K-horns!!

I sold a set of quintets to my buddy, he has the Onkyo 787 THX, man ive seen him push some power thru them ,and they still work!

My outlaw theater average volume is 43, and thats loud !

Regards Jim

Hi OP,

Relax.

All is well.

Be cool.

Now, the fact is,

You can definately do some damage to them with that amp.

There's an old rule that states " Don't turn the volume much further than the 12 o'clock

position".

The reasoning behind this is that most receivers put out their maximum clean sound output around that position.

Once the receiver is push beyond that clean limit it starts to clip (draws power from other areas of the reciever).

Generally, woofers draw alot of juice from the amp. When the amp has to scavenge for power, other areas suffer.

Most of the time, tweeters suffer the worst.

The power losses in the amp are heard as distortion. That distortion is clipping.

Clipping kills.

Trust me.

Just keep it around 12 o'clock or less and you should never have a problem.

Some amps can sound like they handle sound well at high levels, but listen to the wrong format where your supply can't meet your demand, and "poof" bye bye tweets or mids.

Be careful.

I used to turn my Denon 3801 up to -10.

thats about three quarters up.

Sounded great for about 10 months.

Then, with little warning,

Poof- bye bye mid drivers. (whoops)

So i've bought a separate amp for my mains.

Now, I can crank it without the poof syndrome.

Do you feel better now?

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Jim - Thanks, I wouldn't be so afraid if I had a receiver that put out 100+w/channel.

Audio - My HK doesn't have a line indicator on the volume knob. It just goes by db's. I have only turned it to about -20 on the receiver, and it was screaming loud man. I probably won't go too much higher than that, but I just want to make sure it's ok if I do. The receiver won't go past +10db, so I'm no sure where on the 12 o'clock position the -20 is? Someday I will just buy a better receiver that has more power and then I won't need to worry so much I guess Smile.gif I kinda feel better, will I notice clipping if it happens? cwm6.gif

Thanks for all the help guys!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

OP-

One thing you can also do is to set all the bass/treble controls to flat. Not all the way down mind ya, but at the position that doesn't add anything to the signal and doesn't take anything away. Leave it at O, not in the negative range and not in the positive either. If it's a knob that controls this it'll probably just be straight up at 12 o'clock. This will keep you from over driving the signal to the amp and keep it from clipping earlier that it usually would.

If you want to do something a little more drastic try this. Take out you tweeters and solder, in line, an automotive light bulb (I forget the number), one that has wires or tabs and not the contact buttons like a back-up or tailight bulb does. The result is that the more you turn the volume the brighter the bulb lights up thus keeping some current from getting the the fragile little tweeters. This came from somebody else on the BB.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-14-2002 at 02:14 PM

Hopefully, you have used an SPL Meter to calibrate and set a reference level for all speakers from your listening position. That said, I've had them up to -3db with my 80W NAD receiver, it was barely tolerable for a few minutes. Mind you, my listening position is 26' from the fronts then as well as now. Ten feet closer caused severe pain and discomfort!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-14-2002 at 06:30 PM

If there's anything to worry about, i would imaginge it's that your not pumping much wattage to these things. thus the louder you try and crank it the more potential there is for distortion and blowing. I have a 200watt per chanel B&K AMP matched to RF3II's. I had a DVD cranked last weekend to +6 decibles. let me assure you that it was really damn loud. The RF3's cranked right along. Man....it was so loud and full sounding it felt like i was there. the other 20 people who were cramed in my living room felt the same way. So if you wanna crank tunes loud, i recomend more power. have fun!

Your speaks will go loud.

I mean, the 3/8" horns on my JBL's can make rim shots that have an actuall SNAP (like it envelopes you, not just a sound) and are fine.

But a big Klipsch tweeter? Stand back!!!

Don't worry about it. Remember it is DIFFICULT to blow a speaker with too much power, clipping kills speakers. Just don't max out you amp and your speakers will deliver.

Your ears will tell you to turn it down long before you cause damage!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org