They "obsoleted" my part

cluless

I had a passive radiator on order for a KG4 speaker for a couple of months, and I found out today that they have "obsoleted" the part. Does anyone have a source for used parts or know of what I can use for a replacement? The scotch tape won't hold indefinitely. cwm14.gif

Hey clu,

The same thing happened to me.

I was trying to get a passive radiator for one of my Quartets. No luck.

They weren't available anymore.

I wonder why?

I wouldn't mind finding out where to get a suitable replacement.

So, who out there has the low down on this?

BTW. I used to fix cone rips with fingernail polish. It usually worked pretty good.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

doug - the parts guy transferred me to one of the tech guys, I got his voice mail. Am waiting on a return call.

You wouldn't want to trade passive radiators with me, would you? Your daughter probably won't like the KG4s anyway. A little birdie told me that kids these days really like those cute bose cubes....tee hee...

DONT SHOOT! Please DONT SHOOT! I Was Just Kidding!

Whew! that was a close onecwm4.gif

Duct tape fixes everything else!

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scalas (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Living Room:

Yamaha RX-V590, 1978 Klipschorns Mainsc>s>

My guess what happened is they ran out of the part and decided that it did not make economic sense to order more for a discontinued line once the need to stock parts for warranty repairs ended.

Passive radiators from Klipsch speakers show up on eBay from time to time. You could set up a canned search to alert you when ones for your speaker show up.

Passive radiators are available from places like Parts Express. Don't know how close they come to matching the specs of the one in your speaker.

FWIW Duct tape fixes everything except ducts. The usual grey stuff has a dismal record staying stuck to joints on ducts.

Clueless,

When using a passive radiator, the mass of the radiator is absolutely critical for proper sound. Get the mass spec of the original radiator from Klipsch, then either 1) find an EXACT replacement according to diameter and mass, or 2) find a lighter passive and add weight to the middle of it with silicone caulk. Note: it would be very helpful to weigh the caulk carefully before application to get the exact amount. The caulk blob can then be hidden with a voice coil dust cap (common practice done when tuning passive radiators). For the highest level of accuracy, also factor in the mass of your dust cap.

Hope this helps,

Andy

P.S. What happened to your old radiator? Can't you have it repaired? Any qualifed speaker repair shop should be able to fix the old one - cheap!

Life is Good -

Bottom Line Support Your Local Klipsch Dealer!

WaHHHHHHH HOOOO....

To make a short story long -

When I finally found my local dealership (Sound Waves - Northfield New Jersey - Jamie you are the best ), and decided to go with the Reference Line. My local guy suggested that I just order a new radiator for my KG4, and use them as "secondary room" speakers.. Duh, something that I hadn't really thought of ...

Well anyway, the radiator didn't come, so last week I call Jamie, and he tells me that it's an out of stock item, and I will have to wait until they restock/re-manufacture..

Monday, I call Klipsch Parts and am told that the part will be available October 9th..

Today I get a voice mail from Jamie, and he tells me that the part has been discontinued...

So, I call Klipsch parts, get the same guy I talked to Monday....and yep...the radiator has been "obsoleted".

Tonight, I get another call from Jamie and he has arranged to have 2 (count'em 2) replacement passive radiators sent to me from Klipsch (not the original models of course - and the 2-fer is for matching), and he has done this with no contact from me.

Get that kinda service from Tweeter's or your local internet e-tailer..NOT!

Happy Happy Joy Joy...

Wheeee!!!!

cwm29.gif

Even if you could get all the info, you would probably not be able to get one from the manufacturer or Parts Express. These aren't off the shelf items. They are built to spec for Klipsch. You would have to pony up the cost of a minimal production run to get the same product. It would be cheaper to buy a whole new speaker.

Short of getting the right part from Klipsch or finding a good used one, your only home is to find something close and tweak it, or repair the old one.

Excellent clu,

Good help is definately hard to find.

Sounds like that guy is taking care business.

Congratulations are in order.

Drinks are on you. Hurrah.

I must now continue my search for the elusive Croco-stimpy.

May your drivers not break while breaking in and may your cables' not go afray. he he he.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Jeez - You guys are having a "crab fest" here without me. Probably a good thing. Trader, TPG is right, I discovered a thumbnail shaped tear in one of the surrounds of my KG-4s, another long story. So I ordered a new passive radiator for my speaker when I went into my "Klipsch Feeding Frenzy", and was gonna move the KG4-s into the bedroom when repaired.

Which brings me to my question. I found a number of websites (in my panic hours) that spoke of "re-foam" or surround replacement kits. A rather mute point at this time (just for future reference), but has anyone played with this? Is it a viable solution, or just a waste of time and money?

Hmmm...crab cakes, sauted crab claws, crab imperial, crab norfolk, crab fondue, crab stuffed mushrooms, King Crab, Snow crab, blue crab,....Yum...Dinner Time

I replaced a fabric surround on a ElectroVoice SP12B once with one of those kits. With a little research and care, most folks ought to be able to do the same. Same goes for foam or rubber surrounds. Keep in mind these are aftermarket parts and are generic. They are not exact matches. Could be some change in parameters. My guess is not much. May or may not be audible. Better to use factory parts if they are available. If you have to replace the surround on one speaker, you might considering doing its twin to keep them sounding the same. But, then, I would recone both speakers if I were going to recone one for the same reason.

Mmmmmm....Dungeness crab, crab puffs (watch how you pronounce that, my friend's wife was very finicky about correct enunciation of those words)

Reminds me of the old radio public service announcement. Woman comes home and says to significant other "Honey, I have crabs." He responds "Great, I'll go down to the market and get some sour dough bread to go with them!" She responds "No, honey..."