70's Vinyl

Mike Lindsey

quote:

Originally posted by hwatkins:

I'll add:

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus (Master recording two record set of live performances)

Patrick Moraz - (self titled) Keyboard player that was Rick Wakefield's replacement with YES when he took an hiatus in the middle of their popularity. Excellent.

Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean - Electonic fiddle that is a work out for dynamics.

All the Alan Parsons Project albums are well made and excellent mixing - my only problem is that I only really enjoy about half the mixes on each album (However, 'I wouldn't Want to be Like You' may be my favorite vinyl cut of all time).

Ditto on Yellow Brick Road and all the Supertramp stuff (Supertramp mixes and quality was always high). Madman across the Water has a really bad press made for the Columbia Record club, so you need to find one that wasn't made for that (sorry, Don't know how to tell the difference, but got a copy at a retailer after a really bad version from Columbia House).

Pink Floyd 'Darkside of the Moon' - still very neat in its discrete sounds. "The Wall" is also a favorite, but my pressing isn't quite as good as Darkside.

That is a shortlist of my favorites - I use a Beogram 1700 for listening pleasure.

See above post on Little Feat and Supertramp. I haven't heard The Wall yet but I actually prefer Wish You Were Here to DSOTM. Both are outstanding but I think WYWH has a little wider soundstage and slightly better seaparation.

As for Alan Parsons, I have almost everything he did in the 70's and 80's on vinyl and it's all pretty good stuff:

I Robot

Eve

Pyramid

The Turn Of A Friendly Card

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination Edgar Allan Poe

I Robot is an outstanding recording and I agree about Wouldn't Want To Be Like You. Unfortunately, my recording has some very bad pops in it and I need to get it replaced. I was in a record store in Maine and it was the only AP album they didn't have (no surprise there).

As for best recorded song so far, I think Welcome To The Machine from Pink Floyd's WYWH album slightly edges out Magic Man from Heart's Dreamboat Annie.

I will keep updating...

Mike

My sincerest apologies for not mentioning Dreamboat Annie = Absolute killer album.

My bad...

Just took a quick look at my stash and also want to mention that most of the early Al Dimeola stuff is very clean and horns seem to repeat acoustic guitar very well.

------------------

Hwatkins

Mike, Craig, and all-

I often read but don't often have much to add to the forum, but I'm enjoying this thread. Over the last few months I've been talking about records some at work and have ended up with a lot of albums given to me, along with what I've grabbed at Goodwill, etc.

I have "rhymin simon' on now, and have been going through my vinyl looking for some of those you all have mentioned. Which Dire Straits album are you considering their first? I'd like to look for that in the stacks. Also I am unfamiliar with Gerry Rafferty (probably will recognize stuff once I play it) -I've found "Night Owl" among my albums. Is that one I should clean and play?

Thanks for letting me but into your discussion -

• Like 1

fec,

Your more than wlecome into any discussion on these forums. That's why they call them Open forums Smile.gif

Someone else will have to reply to your question though I don't have any of those LP's you mentioned. I would like to get some Dire Straits though. I was just watching the boob tube and was thinking its about time to hit the used record store and Heart and Dire Straits will be my targets.

Craig

The first Dire Straites album was self titled on the Warner Brothers label, came out in 1978 with a catalog number of BSK 3266. Tracks include:

-Down on the Waterline

-Water of Love

-Setting Me Up

-Six Blade Knife

-Southbound Again

-Sultans of Swing (their first big hit)

-In the Gallery

-Wild West End

-Lions

The cover is a difused picture of an empty room with one person standing towards the left. Outside of the picture is a white border.

It has plenty of that smokey Washburn guitar sound to it.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-16-2002 at 11:31 PM

quote:

Originally posted by hwatkins:

My sincerest apologies for not mentioning Dreamboat Annie = Absolute killer album.

My bad...

Just took a quick look at my stash and also want to mention that most of the early Al Dimeola stuff is very clean and horns seem to repeat acoustic guitar very well.

I have Elegant Gypsy (w/Mediterranean Sundance) and Electric Rendevouz on vinyl, and both are outstanding! I would like to pick up Splendido Hotel as well. I have this on CD and it's very well done...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by fec:

Also I am unfamiliar with Gerry Rafferty (probably will recognize stuff once I play it) -I've found "Night Owl" among my albums. Is that one I should clean and play?

Thanks for letting me but into your discussion -

fec,

Night Owl came after City to City but is a great album as well. I just finished playing City to City, and it is very well done. Thas was an album that got a lot of play back in my Germany days, and will get some occasional play now that I'm back into vinyl.

BTW, don't be afraid to jump in here... we don't bite. Smile.gif

Mike

Hello,

No one has mentioned the old Iron Butterfly B-side. Ya gotta love ole Doug Ingle.

A couple more I personally enjoy,

Van Morrison- Into the music.

Jackson Browne- His first one(Jackson Browne)

A little ELO or REO is always nice too.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Randy, I always loved that cover! Smile.gif

Unfortunately, I do not own the album. I believe it came out just prior to Stevie and Lindsay joining Fleetwood Mac in 1975. I do however own Lindsay's solo album from 1981 (Law and Order), which has the song Trouble on it. Pretty good but not as good as Fleetwood Mac's offerings.

How is the recording on this album?

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-17-2002 at 12:51 PM

Mike,

I didn't catch that response. Its to bad you don't have it I was just at the Used record store and they a 3 of them !!!

I did score these today !!!

Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy and Splendid Hotel

Gerry Rafferty - City to City (sealed new !! )

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Heart - Dreamboat Annie

Dire Straits- Dire Straits

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Bob Segar - Against the Wind and Stranger in Town

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits

Steely Dan - Can't buy a Thrill and Greatest Hits

Van Halen - 1984

All records in great shape no scratches and as you see above one is brand new ! For a whopping $55 out the door !!!! Not bad for 14 Albums

Craig

Nice score, Craig!

You are gonna love the quality of most of that stuff. Let me know what you think of Dimeola. I love him and think those are two of his best. Mediterranean Sundance on Elegant Gypsy is Paco De Lucia and Al on acoustic guitars (in separate channels) and is brilliant.

Give us your report in the morning. Smile.gif

Mike

Mike

Just finish side 1 and 2 of Splendido Hotel and all I can say is Wow can they play !! I bet this is one of the recording you find bright ? But the stereo seperation and sound feild is incredible great recording but a little harsh on the high end.

Craig

yeah, Buckingham Nicks came out in 73, which is why I thought of it with your 70's vinyl thread. It also has never been released on CD.

I haven't had it for years, but it was one of my fav albums for quite a while. Can't say how the sonics were, but the music was everything I went to Fleetwood Mac for in the first place.

The holier-than-thous out here will probably shoot me for saying that, at least liking FM after they went pop, as opposed to their R&B roots.

I hold my head up high.

Based on what I've been reading, I perceive that the expensive cleaning machines aren't going to improve upon manually cleaning my records using THE DISC DOCTOR'S brushes and cleaner. If this isn't correct let me know. Manually cleaning and drying can be a pain but I'm just cleaning a couple a time as I bring them out from the archives for a spin.

I probably won't clean all approx. 3,000 lps since I have distilled much of my interests in 70's classic rock music down to a couple hundred CD's (although I've kept the lps for memorabilia and completeness--the Time3 Journey 3cd set was all the Journey I needed on CD but I'm keeping all the lps). I've been buying for the first time many 70's PowerPop lps (PezBand, A's), pre-punk CDs (Stooges, Dictators) and critically praised and influencial punk bands (Adverts, Wire, Television). The PowerPop stuff although hard to find is cheap on lp since most have been forgotten (note: Rino's DIY PowerPop discs are an awesome best of series) but the punk related albums are cheaper on CD and much easier to find. It's amazing how punk lps like Wire's Pink Flag are selling for $25+ on ebay. There seems to be more fans today due to Nirvana than there was then.

I find my early 80's college radio tastes to fill my record collection with tunes that are either only found in vinyl (Lou Miami and the Kosmetics) or the CD's are so limited they are way too hard to find and expensive (Guadalcanal Diary) but then this forum is "70's vinyl" so I'll stop.

The Virgin Guide to 70's Music is educational and a good comparison to allmusic.com, Rolling Stone Record Guide, Mojo's Great Rock Record Guide, MusicHound, etc.

Randy....I have that Buckingham/Nicks album on C.D. Found it in an small Omaha music shop back in 95. I wish I had it on Vinyl though. Doesn't Stevie look Hot????????

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>