Flipboard

The Week, in the print edition.

For magazines, and websires I read:

The Economist

Foriegn Affairs

Harvard Political Review

National Review

The Atlantic

I have been extremely interested in the media, on the "media". I just subscribed to the Journal of Media Psychology to try to get a better understanding on that subject.

oh me o my...that's some very serious brainfood LOL!!! no wonder i have so much trouble trying to challenge some of the things you say!!! LOL i better get a tudor to come in and help me out!! im not even sure i could read thiose things!!!

I may watch ABC, CBS or NBC world news, but that is just only to get a flavor of the topics making headlines.  Also, local news for the local traffic.

If I find a topic interesting, I’ll look for avenues to do more research to better discern what aspects have verifiable facts and what aspects seem more based on opinion before forming my own opinion.

I’m sure there are others that I may frequent, but here is a quick list of other news outlets that I visit that immediately come to mind;

Wikinews

Reuters

The Economist

The Wall Street Journal

Harvard Law School Forum (mostly related to corporate governance and financial regulation)

PBS

NPR

BBC

CSPAN

ESPN

_ entitled to own opinion but not own facts.jpg

post-36163-0-63780000-1438361875_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

You final line of your post is most telling LarryC. With the sources you tune in to, it is easy to see where you stand on agencies reporting the news, and there is nothing wrong with that.

"Generally speaking, I don't like to watch obviously biased programs, at least ones I disagree with."

At least you are honest.

• Like 1

Travis...just recently read an article from The Atlantic...it was good, and a friend told me that it's a good magazine. Honestly, I've been so turned off by politics and the endless stream of "bad news" that i don't watch or read any news source regularly. If I hear of an event that is interesting I will read about it from various sources in hopes of sifting out the biases.

Guess I won't be in contention for citizen of the year, but the constant focus on crime or various atrocities wears on me. I know bad things are happening...i just get tired of hearing about. And the Lakers and Raiders suck, so no sense reading the sports pages either.

Happy Friday everyone.

Edited by BigStewMan

You final line of your post is most telling LarryC. With the sources you tune in to, it is easy to see where you stand on agencies reporting the news, and there is nothing wrong with that.   "Generally speaking, I don't like to watch obviously biased programs, at least ones I disagree with."   At least you are honest.

Yes, but take care in assuming presumed stereotypical lines of thought.  I think my choices reflect a considerable amount of experience and care.

It's useful to spell out which MSNBC programs I like.  Morning Joe is probably the best, for a relatively even-handed mix of viewpoints and guests.  Joe himself is a moderate conservative.  Michael Steele is one of the best IMO, and he is a moderate Republican IMO.  Chris Matthews is clearly liberal, but very experienced in politics.  Al Sharpton is way too predictably D, but has clever bon mots, as the most biased.  Chris Hayes is very variable, but presents interesting documentaries.  Maddow is extremely predictable and one-note, but presents interesting history and details.  O'Donnell has an extraordinary background and is always worth listening to.  Anyway, there's something there for most people, unless one demands conservative hard-line antagonism and anger-fueling bias.  Fox is much better for that.

Edited by LarryC

Guest Steven1963

You final line of your post is most telling LarryC. With the sources you tune in to, it is easy to see where you stand on agencies reporting the news, and there is nothing wrong with that.   "Generally speaking, I don't like to watch obviously biased programs, at least ones I disagree with."   At least you are honest.

Yes, but take care in assuming presumed stereotypical lines of thought.  I think my choices reflect a considerable amount of experience and care.

It's useful to spell out which MSNBC programs I like.  Morning Joe is probably the best, for a relatively even-handed mix of viewpoints and guests.  Joe himself is a moderate conservative.  Michael Steele is one of the best IMO, and he is a moderate Republican IMO.  Chris Matthews is clearly liberal, but very experienced in politics.  Al Sharpton is way too predictably D, but has clever bon mots, as the most biased.  Chris Hayes is very variable, but presents interesting documentaries.  Maddox is extremely predictable and one-note, but presents interesting history and details.  O'Donnell has an extraordinary background and is always worth listening to.  Anyway, there's something there for most people, unless one demands conservative hard-line antagonism and anger-fueling bias.  Fox is much better for that.

If I said any of that, this thread would be deleted.

• Like 1

• Administrators
If I said any of that, this thread would be deleted.

Oh jeeeeesh relax. We have decided to give this version of your thread the benefit of the doubt this time around. Think of of as referees in this case. Yes we are monitoring it. Let's see where it goes. 

THAT SAID - ToS and this forum's rules still apply, so...

breaking-bad.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

We have decided to give this version of your thread the benefit of the doubt this time around.

A thread asking about news sources, posted by me, requires monitoring, after first being deleted. Anybody else that would have started that thread wouldn't have had it deleted the first time. Nope, sorry. You are in deep because of your actions over the last couple days and posting a light-hearted thread response isn't going to make it all better.

Best to keep this stuff private, wouldn't you say? You have mail that requires your utmost attention.

Drudge is the best aggregate site for all news sources, both on the right or left. The links are extremely helpful. With that being said I usually go to the BBC, FoxNews, NY Post, Daily Mail (best site in the world, LOL). Fiendbear, Forbes, Zero Hedge, Kitco, and a couple of sites I would rather not admit to in public. (All safe for work, mind you.)

Guest Steven1963

I don't want the news anymore, have better things to do. 

Would anything change because I knew about it ?........... thought so

But wouldn't know a piece of information help you to understand how to react in the world? Or do you not care about the world? lol.

• Moderators

I don't care about the world at all, whatever is going to happen will, if I know or not. I have no control with what happens a mile from here so past my property is unimportant to me.

The last 57 years has led me to believe whatever is going to happen will, no matter what I do. 

So I just don't care, to me it's just a big party until I am room temperature as far as I care, party yes, and I am doing my best to make it happen, and I'm getting pretty good at it with all the practice. :emotion-19:  :emotion-29:

Doing nothing takes all my time these days

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Would anything change because I knew about it ?........... thought so
Love it--how true. Although don't downplay your importance in the world.

True, I need the world, especially gravity, it's what holds me here.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I only read news related to poached lions, PP, and the Kardashian family.  Everything else is just pure drivel.

Thanks for your contribution to my thread. If you have some news *sources* that you'd like to share I'd be interested in hearing about them.