Tube longevity- a real concern?

tube fanatic

What is the longevity of the tubes in your current tube equipment?

For instance....You put brand new tubes in your equipment January 1st 2012.

Are they still working?

If not when did you replace them?

How long is a piece of string? :P

It really depends on a whole bunch of variables. But in general the small signal triodes (6SN7, 12AX7, 6DJ8) can last a long time but as they age the transconductance will drop off giving you less gain. So what happens is you actually don't notice your equipment not performing at it's peak. Power tubes (6550, EL34, 6L6) depending on operating conditions can and usually do have a much shorter life compared to the small signal triodes.

Edited by xxJPMxx
  • Like 1

What is the longevity of the tubes in your current tube equipment?

For instance....You put brand new tubes in your equipment January 1st 2012.

Are they still working?

If not when did you replace them?

How long is a piece of string? :P

It really depends on a whole bunch of variables. But in general the small signal triodes (6SN7, 12AX7, 6DJ8) can last a long time but as they age the transconductance will drop off giving you less gain. So what happens is you actually don't notice your equipment not performing at it's peak. Power tubes (6550, EL34, 6L6) depending on operating conditions can and usually do have a much shorter life compared to the small signal triodes.

I get what you are saying...The variables are astronomical....To try and keep this on topic....

Your current tube setup.....

How often you turn it on.....

How loud...."my preamp rarely sees past 10 oClock"....

How often do you replace tubes?

In years, Months?

What cost to replcace?

Im not by any means bashing tubes "I Love them" the sound is phenomenal....

I'm still listening to this crappy Crown XLS1500.....

I'm confidant the Crown would be a perfect match for Sub's....

I'm just trying to establish a cost perspective based on true data "your input"

Your current tube setup.....

The one I am listening to right now as I type is a Single ended amp good for about 5 watts in pentode and 2 in triode. It has four 5670's and two 6L6's.

How often you turn it on....

This one runs almost all day everyday.

How loud...

From 1/4 to 3/4 but most of the time halfway.

How often do you replace tubes?

I haven't yet and this amp is 5 year old.

What cost to replcace?

It all depends. For me I got a bunch of NOS RCA blackplate 6L6GB's for fixing a guys guitar amp. So a couple hours labor. Usually current production 6L6's are $10-$20. The 5670's I got two sleeves (10 tubes) for $20 so that's $2 a tube. They are JAN GE's.

• Like 1

Roger Modjeski commented yesterday at the Burning Amp Festival that he has an amplifier that is 30 years old that gets played every day with the same original tubes. He say tube life is determined on how the circuit is designed. Actually he goes into a lot more technical discussion on why but it appears the circuit design determines how long the tubes will last. Some designs will need tubes replaced every year and some will last many years.

Great Circuit designs have been around for years, China has most dialed in, they invent nothing, they are now masters at not only copying, but improve Amp components when and where they can.

These were purchased over five years ago, KT88 based and still running, the wifes mono blocks get pushed just as hard as my two channel rig, original tubes throughout and still going.

These are from my guy on the Bay, "PrimeAmp"

post-57941-0-75900000-1445184023_thumb.j

post-57941-0-35300000-1445184033_thumb.j

Roger Modjeski commented yesterday at the Burning Amp Festival that he has an amplifier that is 30 years old that gets played every day with the same original tubes. He say tube life is determined on how the circuit is designed. Actually he goes into a lot more technical discussion on why but it appears the circuit design determines how long the tubes will last. Some designs will need tubes replaced every year and some will last many years.

Great Circuit designs have been around for years, China has most dialed in, they invent nothing, they are now masters at not only copying, but improve Amp components when and where they can.

These were purchased over five years ago, KT88 based and still running, the wifes mono blocks get pushed just as hard as my two channel rig, original tubes throughout and still going.

China invents nothing?

Off the top of my head:

Paper

Printing

Gunpowder

The Compass

Clock (i.e. not sundial)

Bronze

Iron Smelting

Tea

Silk

Alcohol

Porcelain

Rockets

They were inventing stuff while people in Europe were still wearing fur loincloth's and killing each other with sharpened sticks.

Never under estimate your opponent!  :)

China invents nothing?

Off the top of my head:

Paper

Printing

Gunpowder

The Compass

Clock (i.e. not sundial)

Bronze

Iron Smelting

Tea

Silk

Alcohol

Porcelain

Rockets

They were inventing stuff while people in Europe were still wearing fur loincloth's and killing each other with sharpened sticks.

Never under estimate your opponent!  :)

Klipsch is an Audio Forum

Thread in forum ask, "Tube longevity- a real concern?

"the circuit design determines how long the tubes will last".

My statment was directed at that quote. China copys great Amps, known sellers, that is what they do.

Out of respect for the OP, i do try to anser and stay on topic. Audio.

Edited by minermark

Yeah. Back in the day when tubes were a dime a dozen, some circuits were designed with tubes operated at maximum ratings.