RC7

wstrickland1

In my living room I have a decent 2 channel set up with Cornwall and Mc gear. We do watch TV I there but have been using some crappy Infinity satellite speakers with a decent sub (Martin Logan depth), totally separate with an avr etc.

So the avr craps out and I get a deal on a Denon avr x2100. Hook it a up and it's perfect for the job but now all of a sudden I realize the speakers are crap. Then I realize that the extra RC 7s I have laying around would fit almost perfectly on top of the Cornwalls.

So what in the heII have I been waiting for? These things in a 2.1 configuration with the Depth sub are pretty amazing. I believe 5 of these things would make an unbelievable HT.

So now I am on the hunt for (3) more of these things, or at least one black one and a pair of RS 25s or 35s.

Edited by wstrickland1

^^^

wstrickland1, don't know where you are located, however, here are 3 links to CL in St. Louis, MO that may have some interest (no affiliation to me):

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/5147832426.html

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/5136660021.html

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/5130199193.html -- the SS are the 4th photo over.  Sold as set only, supposedly.  Who knows what you might find useful among the others.

Anyway, good luck!

I hope you realize that Denon 2100 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. Right now it might not matter but soon it will if you ever upgrade to 4K (and you will :) just a matter of when ). HDCP is the new copy protection specification and everything in the chain, both video and audio are affected and must be compliant or you will see/hear nothing (in the not too distant future).

Second, IMHO mixing or especially using multiple sets of speaker systems in close proximity to each other reproducing the same signal is not a good thing. Sure, it looks impressive, and that of course tends to influence one's opinion in the meantime. But the reality is that multiple speakers (like stacking an RF7 on top of a Cornwall, or stacking a pair of Cornwalls) causes a lot of phase interference. And that in return causes frequency response anomalies, both augmentation and cancellation.

Then there's the issue of the speaker's voicing. Cornwall are much older design and they have a different timbre quality than Reference. I recently decided to get some RF7 to go with the existing RC7 center and surrounds because the Chorus sound very different. I also pick up some wanted/needed real estate across the front with the narrower footprint of RF7.

And then there's also the issue of Impedance. If you wire them in series you double the impedance and the receiver/amplifier power (solid state, not tube) gets halved and so does the acoustical output. If you connect them in parallel the impedance gets halved and you risk frying the amplifier if it can't handle the low impedance, especially at higher output levels. A speaker's impedance rating is a "nominal" specification. It actually can fall lower than, or be much higher than the nominal quoted impedance.

I hope you realize that Denon 2100 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. Right now it might not matter but soon it will if you ever upgrade to 4K (and you will :) just a matter of when ). HDCP is the new copy protection specification and everything in the chain, both video and audio are affected and must be compliant or you will see/hear nothing (in the not too distant future).

Second, IMHO mixing or especially using multiple sets of speaker systems in close proximity to each other reproducing the same signal is not a good thing. Sure, it looks impressive, and that of course tends to influence one's opinion in the meantime. But the reality is that multiple speakers (like stacking an RF7 on top of a Cornwall, or stacking a pair of Cornwalls) causes a lot of phase interference. And that in return causes frequency response anomalies, both augmentation and cancellation.

Then there's the issue of the speaker's voicing. Cornwall are much older design and they have a different timbre quality than Reference. I recently decided to get some RF7 to go with the existing RC7 center and surrounds because the Chorus sound very different. I also pick up some wanted/needed real estate across the front with the narrower footprint of RF7.

And then there's also the issue of Impedance. If you wire them in series you double the impedance and the receiver/amplifier power (solid state, not tube) gets halved and so does the acoustical output. If you connect them in parallel the impedance gets halved and you risk frying the amplifier if it can't handle the low impedance, especially at higher output levels. A speaker's impedance rating is a "nominal" specification. It actually can fall lower than, or be much higher than the nominal quoted impedance.

Lol thanks but read again. The corns are 2 channel only run with a McIntosh C2500 tube pre amp/MC275 tube amp. The other stuff is for TV and movies. Separate for a reason.

Most of the TV watching is reruns of dance mom's or HGTV, maybe a ball game.

• Like 1

both video and audio are affected and must be compliant or you will see/hear nothing (in the not too distant future).
my hdmi 1.3 onkyo plays anything and everything still. so not too sure I believe this one.

Second, IMHO mixing or especially using multiple sets of speaker systems in close proximity to each other reproducing the same signal is not a good thing.
guessing you didnt understand his post. he uses the cornwalls for 2 channel and the rc-7 on top in a 2.1 configuration with a sub?? no phase issues there.

Then there's the issue of the speaker's voicing. Cornwall are much older design and they have a different timbre quality than Reference. I recently decided to get some RF7 to go with the existing RC7 center and surrounds because the Chorus sound very different. I also pick up some wanted/needed real estate across the front with the narrower footprint of RF7. And then there's also the issue of Impedance. If you wire them in series you double the impedance and the receiver/amplifier power (solid state, not tube) gets halved and so does the acoustical output. If you connect them in parallel the impedance gets halved and you risk frying the amplifier if it can't handle the low impedance, especially at higher output levels. A speaker's impedance rating is a "nominal" specification. It actually can fall lower than, or be much higher than the nominal quoted impedance.
again read above? ;)

Indeed, I most certainly misunderstood.  :blink:

Personally, I wouldn't use two different systems for different purposes in the same room, but that's another story.

FWIW, Linn Products, among others, has long advocated not having additional unused speakers in the same room with the ones playing as it causes the other speakers to act as passive radiators coloring the sound and reducing detail/definition. That's also one of the reasons why the sound in most audio stores suck - too many speakers in the same room, and it also affects room acoustics if you care about that sort of thing. The room after all, is part of "the system".

Look up HDCP 2.2. It will change/affect your connectivity with 4K. Anything that is not 2.2 compliant will not pass the signal. There are only a few manufacturers at the moment that are producing equipment that are 2.2 compliant. As more 4K (like 4K BluRay) roll out later this year, more and more newly released equipment will be 2.2. And it's not something that cannot be upgraded via firmware. It's sort of of a "buyer beware" thing at the moment. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people out there when they find out their 2015 or earlier model whatever doesn't work anymore with 4K, especially those who were earlier adopters of 4K. But I guess if you could afford $40,000 for a TV several years ago you can afford to just throw it in the garbage.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2881620/4k-content-protection-will-frustrate-consumers-more-than-pirates-meet-hdcp-22.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d1A1acMT6wy/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

Edited by artto

Wanna know the easy solution to that? Jump on the 4k bandwagon down the road when it's affordable and continue to enjoy 1080p which is perfectly acceptable. Hate how society is turning into this "I need better everything" monster. What's after 4k?? I mean holy cow 7.1 is plenty for surround sound. We need heights? Wides? Atmos?? Insanity I tell you.

• Like 1

Well, that's your opinion. And quite frankly I don't agree with it. I think Atmos is cool, and it's going to be implemented on my HT - when 4K/Atmos BluRay discs become available later this year.

I just bought a Samsung curved 55" 4K for $899, hundreds less that I paid for my DLP/LED 61" Samsung 6-7 years ago. Do all 4K TV's look as good? Absolutely not. The first 4K I brought home was a 55" Ovivo. What the hell is Ovivo? It's a P.O.S. My 61" HD looks better. OTOH, when my wife first saw the picture on the 4K Samsung (not even a true 4K signal, just upscaled 1080p) her reaction was "WOW, That IS a really great picture!".

So what's affordable? For me $899 for a 55" current model brand name UHDTV is affordable and acceptable. The Onkyo TX-NR838 (also HDCP 2.2 compliant) I bought earlier this year was an open box saving a few hundred bucks. For a couple hundred less I could have bought the less powerful model. To my ears the 838 sounded better, and others who've gone through the same exercise agree I'm not "just hearing things".

What's after 4K? Why 8K, of course. FWIW NHK Japan has been working on this for sometime already. Indeed, Sharp has already made some 8K sets and a number of 35mm films have already been scanned/transfered to 8K. Research done at NHK is pointing to 8K being enough resolution that the human eye can no longer distinguish the picture from reality on conventional sized TV sets.

And so it goes ~ to each his own.

Ehh,if they passively radiate then so be it. My ears are garbage for the most part lol. And 4k will never matter in this room, hell 720p would work...

Anyway like I said a pair of RC7'S and a good sub will kick some arse and 5 will really make a nice "little" HT. Wondering if anyone on here has done it.

• Like 1

Yeah 899 is acceptable for a 55" TV. But for hardcore enthusiasts, that have to have big screens, 899 is way less than the admission ticket. I was just informed the only native 4k projectors are a couple of Sony models. 20,000$ and up for those two models.

So for me atmos is way in the future. And if it catches on like everyone thinks it will then I will get it. If it becomes a gimmick like 3d and only a small percentage come out in it then I may never adopt it.

"What's after 4k?? I mean holy cow 7.1 is plenty for surround sound. We need heights? Wides? Atmos?? Insanity I tell you."-- Scrappy

Times 2! or 10!  I suppose it gives some people something to talk about (especially after a few beers--or better yet, some good bourbon), but whatever happened to being delighted with what is SUPERB already?  

Not to dampen innovation, but what about our hearts, minds, and lives that we often devote so much time and effort and MONEY to something that will only be overtaken a few years later?  And induce the very same dissatisfaction and longing for yet another thing that we must have to be happy?  The thing that we just had to have a few years ago no longer makes us happy, but this latest and greatest will?

The truth is that aesthetic excellence and beauty ARE delightful to those who appreciate them.  But better that they be understood and enjoyed, rather than simply instigating dissatisfaction and becoming a burr under the saddle . . . .

My thoughts anyway, as I am so grateful to God that He has given me the opportunities to have what I do--modest by many here--and revel in the wonderful pleasure they provide me.

"What's after 4k?? I mean holy cow 7.1 is plenty for surround sound. We need heights? Wides? Atmos?? Insanity I tell you."-- Scrappy

Times 2! or 10! I suppose it gives some people something to talk about (especially after a few beers--or better yet, some good bourbon), but whatever happened to being delighted with what is SUPERB already?

Not to dampen innovation, but what about our hearts, minds, and lives that we often devote so much time and effort and MONEY to something that will only be overtaken a few years later? And induce the very same dissatisfaction and longing for yet another thing that we must have to be happy? The thing that we just had to have a few years ago no longer makes us happy, but this latest and greatest will?

The truth is that aesthetic excellence and beauty ARE delightful to those who appreciate them. But better that they be understood and enjoyed, rather than simply instigating dissatisfaction and becoming a burr under the saddle . . . .

My thoughts anyway, as I am so grateful to God that He has given me the opportunities to have what I do--modest by many here--and revel in the wonderful pleasure they provide me.

Amen!

"What's after 4k?? I mean holy cow 7.1 is plenty for surround sound. We need heights? Wides? Atmos?? Insanity I tell you."-- Scrappy Times 2! or 10! I suppose it gives some people something to talk about (especially after a few beers--or better yet, some good bourbon), but whatever happened to being delighted with what is SUPERB already?

Judge not lest ye be judged.

I really like the RC-7. After I picked up my new RC-64 II to replace the RC-7 I was using, I initially looked around for a second RC-7 to run as mains as I really think they'd sound great that way. But then I stumbled across a nice pair of RB-75's for a reasonable price.. :D

I could see a theater setup with multiple RC-7's working just fine, especially if you had the right subwoofer compliment. Maybe a stereo pair of RSW-15's for the mains and a Stereo Integrity 18 for the LFE? :lol:

• Like 1

I really like the RC-7. After I picked up my new RC-64 II to replace the RC-7 I was using, I initially looked around for a second RC-7 to run as mains as I really think they'd sound great that way. But then I stumbled across a nice pair of RB-75's for a reasonable price.

Seeing what you wrote above and that you have RB-75s it reminded me of something intriguing I read on here from Klipsch employee Steve Phillips--When the original RC-64 came out (the one voice-matched to the RF-83s) he said he ran it between 2 RB-75s and liked it better than the RC-7...I tried to pursue him on it but don't remember getting a response. 

That said, I have 2 RC-7s and won't be getting rid of either one.