Subwoofer swap

derrickdj1

Did you remember to remove the paint cans from inside before installing the woofer? Boy that would be a mess! :lol: Congrats on the build. Looks awesome.

I can't find the little dog since I closed up the sub? :P

Thanks MKP. :)

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am half way with the second sub.  This one is a full Marty, 4'' tall and just over 2'' wide and deep.  Tommorow I will put on the top and baffel and get ready to paint.  I will line the sub with foam mattress stuffing.

The AVS guys line the ported subs and don't use stuffing like polyfil.  The reasoning behind it is reflections in the vented box.  I am not sure how sound this belife is.  A sealed box hould also have refections.  Polyfil or similar stuffing should work in a vented box without ill effects from my understanding.

I did the top and baffle today and will give the glue 24 hours to bond.  Tomorrow, sand things down and prime coat the sub.  I built this Marty sub to be located about 20 ft. from the MLP, otherwise I would have built another Mini Marty to match.  The Marty will be in a location that you can't see from the HT area.  I may place it in the second spot with a long distance to the MLP.  I will have to try it in both locations.  No sub crawl need. :)

• Like 4

Pic of paintd full Marty without driver.  This is a sim of the  Mini Marty vs a single UM 18 in a sealed box(sim uses SI driver which is very similar to UM 18) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1488059-your-home-theater-ulf-score-125.html#post36793602

With the Mini Marty +9 db at 20 Hz and +12 db at 16 Hz roughly over a single sealed UM18.  Full Marty should gain a few more db at the 12,16, and 20 Hz frequencies.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Pic of paintes full Marty without driver.  This is a sim of the Mini Marty vs a single UM 18 in a sealed box(sim uses SI driver which is very similar to UM 18) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1488059-your-home-theater-ulf-score-125.html#post36793602

With the Mini Marty +9 db at 20 Hz and +12 db at 16 Hz roughly over a single sealed UM18.  Full Marty should gain a few more db at the 12 and 16 Hz frequencies.

I declare movie/music night at derrickdj1's place upon completion of the project.  J/k.  Very nice build and thank you for sharing your progress.  When complete, we may be able to hear you no matter how far away we are.

The nice thing for me is that all of this will be in the Man Cave, 4300 cu ft. and I have all say in what goes in it!!!  They are definitely noticeable but, spaced out with lots of room to move around for other things and they are childproof, lol.  The little granddaughter can't damage the drivers or knock them over. :D  No flower pots, nick nacks, or pictures sitting on top of the sub or speakers, he, he.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

I just got the monster downstair and hooked up.  Now, the longer part will be recalibrating the system.  I demo'ed the Washington Monument scene from Olympus Has Fallen and preliminary results with only the vented subs running was pretty good looking at the HT wattage and amps.  Lots more headroom.  I have the vented subs for now with a hpf 20 Hz, 24 db LR slope.  Once I plugged the vents on the Marty, I will take off all hpf as usual and self a 16 Hz shelf for all the vented subs.

Later, I will discuss the choice for vented subs.  Some of the things included should make for some interesting discussion.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2