How does the internet work anyway? Right now I can visit here but nowhere else.

JL Sargent

So my internet connection is wonky for some reason. It only works here and nowhere else. Never had this problem before. It either worked or it didn't. Now my access seems to be the first site and I go to and that is it. How does it work anyway? How do all those servers shake hands and get all these people where they want to go?

all servers on the internet register their IP addresses and DNS names on a handful of DNS servers.

The DNS servers exchange their database info

when you login into your computer, your PC gets and IP address from your ISP, that IP address also contains which DNS server you will be using

when you type in a URL, you are entering a DNS name+a start web page

your PC operating system does a DNS request and gets an IP address corelation

at the transport layer, your PC sends packets with destination info that contains the target IP address

the packets have your host IP address and servers as the return address for return packets

in between you and the destination web page are whats refered to as hops

hop 1 is your router in your house, to the router at the other end of the local ISP connection

local routers hand off to regional one

on the destination side, you wind up passing thru the destination servers ISP which involves theire regional and local routers...then their gateway or border router, then the link into the data center

these all have IP addresses

so basically, DSN gets your PC the IP address translation, the transmissions have headers and context info that says where the packet should go, who sent it, etc.

as packets pass thru the hops, each device sends an acknolwedgement to your PC that the packet was recieved.  If a destination gets a packet out of sequence, at retry command is sent to the sender to send the packet again.  once all packets get acknoldged as recieved, the next packet is sent.

about 5ms per hop, per packet.

so the core control process is the DNS tables along with the packet send, ack, recieve transmissions along each hop.

• Like 1

ATT tech just left and my twisted pair was bad, also two bird nests in the cross box (12,000 ft away), and lastly my modem had crapped out. My signal to noise ratio now a whopping 28 db. Right now I have the best internet service ever. 

What is your speed?  I run this occasionally to make sure everything is up to spec.  My usual numbers are 9ms ping, 50 down, 5 up.

http://www.speedtest.net/

4600563939.png

Edited by wvu80