How Much Difference Between a 6 & 8 Inch Horn?

jjptkd

I've never had the privilege to listen to a set of RF-5's before but have read many good things about them. There's a couple pairs listed locally to me right now in the Seattle area and they have me curious. I've owned the RF-3, RF-3 II and the RF-35's and looking at the specs published by Klipsch they are all nearly identical to the RF-5. The RF-5 actually uses the same exact 8" woofers as the RF-3 in a similar sized cabinet, both tweeters use a 1" titanium type driver so the differences I see are the size of the horn and possibly crossover design? Has anyone compared the RF-3 line directly to the RF-5? Any input would be great, thanks!

I have owned both and there is a fairly sizable difference in the RF5 from the RF3. It's a bit taller to accomodate the larger horn and I feel that allows the RF5 to dig a little deeper with bass than the RF3. It also has a much bigger "presence" or soundstage with the larger horn. I always felt that I heard more in the music with the 5 compared to the 3's.

I have since sold my RF-5 and still own two sets of RF-3's (well Rf-3 and RF-3ii's).....so I do love the sound of the 3....but if you find a set of 5's I'd jump on them...don't see them around much (or at least I don't here in FL)

the RF5 ueses a larger horn than does the RF3 and the CF3/4 use a larger horn than the RF5 all four loudspeakers are three driver two way designs. The CF3/4 uses a lower crossover point as well so that is an advantage in that more information is coming from the compression driver and horn. Of course the lower you want to go with the compression driver/horn will demand a high quality comp driver of a large format size in the 3" to 4" range and a large horn. From a practical point of view 400 - 500Hz is around the point where horn size really starts to get big in a hurry.