Two speakers for a center channel?

Superdave

The RB 81 is a very capable speaker that should keep up. 
yeah i agree. i mean yeah its a big room but i didn't think he was going super loud on volume. but i could easily see if you were going for reference that it could run out of steam. 

Scrappy, I have never had problems with dialouge from the RC 64
oh i dont doubt you dont have a problem with it. no one i know does. only once you move to something different you realize. but it has to be a good step up i think. i enjoyed the 64 while i had it for sure. wasn't until i heard some of the jtr noesis that it no longer cut it for me. and even still with all the stuff i have heard i still think there are only a handful of things out there that can top it and MOST of them are not your average size speaker that will mesh well in a typical home setting. only one i have come across that does that is the palladium. everything else is HUGE stuff.  

So are you saying my idea of turning a single CF-3 horizontal is over the top? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark

not to me it wouldnt be

• Like 1

I would think the horizontal CF-3 would sound really good. I transformed a pair of KG-4's into towers and a third one I built horizontally into a center channel. The voiceing ability of the KG4 speakers are amazing to start with and having them paired with a nice sub they sound even better. You can't really see them but they are in my avitar.

I have some kg4's I picked up for 50$ a while back. They are sitting downstairs waiting on a fresh sand and oil. Bought them for my dad. They sounded pretty good unless I cranked the heck out of them. Seem like they got kind of lean. But at normal levels my dad will love them.....I hope lol. He better they are free for him.

I have some kg4's I picked up for 50$ a while back. They are sitting downstairs waiting on a fresh sand and oil. Bought them for my dad. They sounded pretty good unless I cranked the heck out of them. Seem like they got kind of lean. But at normal levels my dad will love them.....I hope lol. He better they are free for him.

I agree Scrappy, they are lean at any significant volume levels, but I found they are perfect for HT duty. I found with two channel the KG4's are sort of weak, especially in the bass department. With a nice sub however that takes most of the grunt work away from the KG's and this allows them to provide a clarity that I have not found in many speakers. In fact the muddiness I found at volume with the original design went away when I built these without the passives on them.

Today I hooked up the RB-61II's in series and then in parallel to compare to the existing RB-81II. I did not notice a difference that would warrant the change. 

Superdave,

I was just researching your AV7702 and it has a bunch of really cool features.  Have you done any manual tweaking to help get your RB-81II's to mate better with your RF-82II's.  

Is it a volume matching problem or more of a timbre matching issue?

Bill

Edited by willland

Today I hooked up the RB-61II's in series and then in parallel to compare to the existing RB-81II. I did not notice a difference that would warrant the change.

Superdave,

I was just researching your AV7702 and it has a bunch of really cool features. Have you done any manual tweaking to help get your RB-81II's to mate better with your RF-7II's.

Bill

i could be wrong but I thought he has 82's not 7ii's. I can't see signatures in my phone. Edited by Scrappydue

Superdave,

I was just researching your AV7702 and it has a bunch of really cool features. Have you done any manual tweaking to help get your RB-81II's to mate better with your RF-7II's.

Bill

i could be wrong but I thought he has 82's not 7ii's. I can't see signatures in my phone.

You are correct.  I actually knew that but was just looking at RF-7II's on a website and I must have had them on my mind when I typed.

Good catch.  I will edit now.

Bill

It's a volume matching issue. At lower listening volumes, the center doesn't perform as well as at higher volumes. I have increased the center to a max of +12db on the dialogue and input and has made a very nice increase. I'm going to tweak it some more with different sources for more testing before considering a center speaker change as this dialogue tweak has produced a positive result.

Thanks Guys!! 

Just to mention, there are (2) different adjustments on the AV7702 that can be made: Dialogue and then speaker input level.

Even though the adjustment has made the RB-81II center better, I can't help but wonder what's out there that will give a more intense experience to match the rest of my system? I have reading about the The 88 Special offered by the diysoundgroup. I'm interested in getting one and testing it. My only drawback would be that, the box would need to be veneered to resemble the "black" Klipsch color.

Any thoughts?

• Moderators
I have increased the center to a max of +12db on the dialogue

I am surely no expert but +12 Db's for the center sure sounds off, I would think something is not right ?

I have a question about this but don't want to get in the way here so I will start a new thread.

• Like 1

I am surely no expert but +12 Db's for the center sure sounds off, I would think something is not right ?

I think the simpliest answer might be that "my" hearing is not as good as it use to be. Sucks getting older in that respect. :(  

Edited by Superdave

• Moderators

I know plenty about the hearing loss and getting older, even with all of that I am having more fun than when I was younger. :emotion-19:

I guess it's because of all the years of practice ?

Edited by dtel

I have increased the center to a max of +12db on the dialogue and input and has made a very nice increase.

I might suggest you turn the mains DOWN to maybe a -4db and then run the center (again guessing) at a +4db. 

I know you think if you go with a minus number on the mains you aren't getting all the performance they offer, but the +/- is relative to reference.  You will not be losing any performance with your mains, and the balance between mains an center might be better.

Have you run Audyssey MultEQ XT32?  Your Marantz also has SubEQ HT room correction, and DynamicEQ loudness compensation.  Have you played with any of those features?  I know some don't like it, but I like DynamicEQ.

Edited by wvu80

The RC-7 or RC-64 II should clear things up. I recently switched from the 7 to the 64 II and felt it was slightly better in overall clarity but lacking a bit in bass response compared to the 7. Weak centers always had me wanting to turn up the volume during quiet passages only to have turn it back down as soon as something loud happens. The 7 & 64 II all but completely cured that.

I might suggest you turn the mains DOWN to maybe a -4db and then run the center (again guessing) at a +4db.    I know you think if you go with a minus number on the mains you aren't getting all the performance they offer, but the +/- is relative to reference.  You will not be losing any performance with your mains, and the balance between mains an center might be better.   Have you run Audyssey MultEQ XT32?  Your Marantz also has SubEQ HT room correction, and DynamicEQ loudness compensation.  Have you played with any of those features?  I know some don't like it, but I like DynamicEQ.
I will try that this weekend,. Unfortunately, I have not been able to run Audyssey MultEQ XT32 yet. Fingers crossed that my kids will be quiet for 20 minutes or so!

Weak centers always had me wanting to turn up the volume during quiet passages only to have turn it back down as soon as something loud happens
That seems to be my issue. If watching at a low to mid volume, the center just doesn't keep up, but if I turn it up say -12db it's back to inline with the rest of the system, but that's too loud for the family.