Amp Arrival Today!

busht4169

My new Marantz MM8077 7-Channel Amp was just deliver by FedEx about 5 mins ago!!  Of course I am at work and saw the e-mail.  

NISMO - I hate you for getting me sooooooo interested in ATMOS/DTS: X  ;)

Pictures of the new amp getting unboxed will happen tonight!

FedEx is also showing my 4 RP-140SA's due tomorrow.  

Setup and tuning will take forever!!  But that's the fun part.  

• Like 5

I used to run a much higher powered system with separates and multiple subs and let's just say, I used to be able to locate the circuit breaker in the dark after a little...

You are really getting after this HT thing. Congratulations on all the new gear! 

post-47735-0-70180000-1441901528_thumb.j

• Like 1

I used to run a much higher powered system with separates and multiple subs and let's just say, I used to be able to locate the circuit breaker in the dark after a little...

You are really getting after this HT thing. Congratulations on all the new gear! 

Many thx.  I have been an enthusiast for some years, but never had the funds available.  About two years ago I paid of my student loans, and my wife and I share 1 car and have no kids (yet...), so expenses are low.  I have been working steady since my internship days in grad school, and have had the ability to save.  This is my treat to myself for years of hard work.

That...and the wife and I are thinking about starting a family soon, so I better get what I can while I can.   :blink:

• Like 1

Congrats, nice amp! Hope you ordered cables. 

Cables Everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not even kidding.  I have 3 pairs of 12 AWG from monoprice, 11 pre-amp/channel cables: one for each channel obviously and 2 for subs.  Plus all the original cables from the existing system.  I will be up all night sifting through all this.  And for some reason, I am excited to be exhausted tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Haaaa.... its always great to land new gear & assemble a great experience in your space !! There's (still) not a lot of Atmos early adopters, but its the real deal. You'll now have plenty of added power, channels & speaker inputs for both Atmos & DTS:X.

The RP-140's are easy to connect & easy position flush on your towers etc. I'm not real familiar with MCACC... but be sure to look for the upward firing Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers during speaker detection & setup. Connecting up your Marantz tonight... and  the 140's tomorrow & will be fun. Enjoy !

• Like 1

That amp only works with XLR cables

L_mm8077_u_b_re.png33392.jpg

Just kidding....... :)

• Like 1

That amp only works with XLR cables

L_mm8077_u_b_re.png33392.jpg

Just kidding....... :)

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  When I get the 8802A pre-amp then I will.  Nice joke.   :D

First congrats Busht4169!!!  Nice choice and nice piece of gear.

K5SS, he was at work when it came.  He needs money for this hobby. :P:(:)

• Like 1

Okay, amp all plugged in.  And ATMOS tuned.  Setup took about and hour, but tuning took most of Sunday.  NISMO, you were right, once you go ATMOS, holy crap, it really is another dimension.  And the amp flawlessly powers the larger speakers without any trouble.  The Elite SC-91 is having no trouble pushing the small ones and there is no overhead issue or reference distortion between the two amps.  And darn!!!!!!  ATMOS.  I will be watching Gravity or Fifth Element ATMOS edition tonight.  Not sure yet.  I spent so much time tuning and then watching football yesterday I haven't had time for much else, but I did test on Expendibles 3 encoded ATMOS.  Mmmmmmmm.  I have a ton of pictures to take now that it is all setup.  

• Like 4

Okay, amp all plugged in.  And ATMOS tuned.  Setup took about and hour, but tuning took most of Sunday.  NISMO, you were right, once you go ATMOS, holy crap, it really is another dimension.  And the amp flawlessly powers the larger speakers without any trouble.  The Elite SC-91 is having no trouble pushing the small ones and there is no overhead issue or reference distortion between the two amps.  And darn!!!!!!  ATMOS.  I will be watching Gravity or Fifth Element ATMOS edition tonight.  Not sure yet.  I spent so much time tuning and then watching football yesterday I haven't had time for much else, but I did test on Expendibles 3 encoded ATMOS.  Mmmmmmmm.  I have a ton of pictures to take now that it is all setup.  

Where did you get your version of the 5th Element... I pre ordered it and was told it won't be released until the end of October.

Where did you get your version of the 5th Element... I pre ordered it and was told it won't be released until the end of October.

I "legally" acquired it through the interwebs.  I always pay for media, but if I find it available before...I...'acquire' it first.   :ph34r:

• Like 2

Congrats on the new setup. I'm not familiar enough with MCACC, but Audyssey (with my Denon) was a but tricky to recognize the upward firing modules. Another note; with Audyssey calibration it did funky things with crossover for the RP-140SA's.... Jay L recommends setting the RP-140SA at 150Hhz, so double check your crossover after set up.

I'll be getting The Fifth Element & The Professional on 10/27. Since it's the first of Sony's 4K Supreme Cinema Series... I hope they have not started implementing HDCP 2.2 

If you don't already have it... Run...do not walk... to go get MAD MAX. I've already watched it 3x in the past week. The Atmos track is phenomenal, the best Atmos release to date. Intense, non-stop, powerful, LFE, immersive experience.  

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 3

Congrats on the new setup. I'm not familiar enough with MCACC, but Audyssey (with my Denon) was a but tricky to recognize the upward firing modules. Another note; with Audyssey calibration it did funky things with crossover for the RP-140SA's.... Jay L recommends setting the RP-140SA at 150Hhz, so double check your crossover after set up.

I'll be getting The Fifth Element & The Professional on 10/27. Since it the first of Sony's 4K Supreme Cinema Series... I hope they have not started implementing HDCP 2.2 

If you don't already have it... Run...do not walk... to go get MAD MAX.I;ve already watched it 3x in that past week. The Atmos track is phenomenal, the best Atmos release to date. Intense, non-stop, powerful, LFE, immersive experience.  

Mmmmmm, That is a good idea.  And thank you for the tuning setup.  I did use my dirac to help the post MCACC process.  I have the crossovers at 120Hz and it is very healthy sounding without reverb issues.  No throttling or position issues.  I think I have it right because I lose the fact I have speaker position.  Which means natural sound.  

I've had them at various crossover, sometimes (for me) Audyssey will set the front different than the rear. I've had them at 120Hz & other configurations... but here's Jay's post on the XO:

Our recommendation is a 150Hz crossover for the RP-140SA. It can be lower if you aren't running 200W to the speaker. We error on the safe side so don't be alarmed by the higher number. The crossover is near 2k for both models. The RP-280FA height channel can be crossed at 80Hz. The RP-140SA speaker works the same no matter what location it is used in. My point regarding the rear direct axis was in reference to a requirement by Dolby. It is more a comment about speakers in general. I can only say so much depending on what information they (Dolby) have told the public. I need to seek out what has been released, and what is held close so I don't overstep my bounds. I have a spec book, but 90% is not for everyone's eyes.

I've had them at various crossover, sometimes (for me) Audyssey will set the front different than the rear. I've had them at 120Hz & other configurations... but here's Jay's post on the XO:

Our recommendation is a 150Hz crossover for the RP-140SA. It can be lower if you aren't running 200W to the speaker. We error on the safe side so don't be alarmed by the higher number. The crossover is near 2k for both models. The RP-280FA height channel can be crossed at 80Hz. The RP-140SA speaker works the same no matter what location it is used in. My point regarding the rear direct axis was in reference to a requirement by Dolby. It is more a comment about speakers in general. I can only say so much depending on what information they (Dolby) have told the public. I need to seek out what has been released, and what is held close so I don't overstep my bounds. I have a spec book, but 90% is not for everyone's eyes.

Ah, many thx.