RIP Gary Richrath

BigStewMan

What a rocker! He was in a band called The Alliance before he got into R.E.O., and practiced at my house. There are differing opinions of him online, but he was always super nice when I knew him.

His health went to pieces, but still sad to see him go.

Bruce

EDIT: In the photo, left to right: Roger Elem, Denny Probst, Gary Richrath, Barry Brenner.

Got an email from Roger. He collects guitars and lives outside of Saratoga Springs NY, in the foothills of the Adirondack Mts.

post-5045-0-39500000-1442282272_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

What a rocker! He was in a band called The Alliance before he got into R.E.O., and practiced at my house. There are differing opinions of him online, but he was always super nice when I knew him.

His health went to pieces, but still sad to see him go.

Bruce

thanks for photo Bruce.  Did any of those other guys make it in the industry?

Did any of those other guys make it in the industry?
DOn't know about any of the others other than the one on the right, Barry Brenner.

http://bigbbrenner.com/

He has a couple other pics I took at the house on his website. One singing into an SM58 in the garage and one of him and Gary playing at an outsite gig at Bradley University in Peoria. Gary was sitting down, because he had his leg in a cast after an auto accident.

Bruce

Dave Amato has been quite the sloppy replacement.  No wonder Ted Nugent god rid of him.  Every time I listen to REO, it's just not the same.

I can remember sitting in front of those guys in the Syracuse War Memorial auditorium at a concert in 1978 when REO was an opening act.  I was like...........who are these guys?  This guitar player is awesome.  I was always an REO fan after that.

Cronin's *** for tat ruined the whole thing.

• Like 1

I can remember sitting in front of those guys in the Syracuse War Memorial auditorium at a concert in 1978 when REO was an opening act.
that's the same year that i discovered them.  the boat i was working on was in the shipyards in Milwaukee.  Went out partying with a couple of snipes to this place called Grants Park.  He had a cassette of REO and i was hooked. 

I saw them 4 times in the late 70s, early 80s. They were a good live band, but somewhat repetitive, especially Cronin's ad lib.

REO, my girlfriend, and 2 pints of Southern Comfort……ahhhhh the memories :D

Kevin had a good rock voice; but, seems like he liked writing those “ballads” a bit too much.

Southern Comfort?  That takes me back to high school days.

• Like 1

I can remember sitting in front of those guys in the Syracuse War Memorial auditorium at a concert in 1978 when REO was an opening act.

that's the same year that i discovered them.  the boat i was working on was in the shipyards in Milwaukee.  Went out partying with a couple of snipes to this place called Grants Park.  He had a cassette of REO and i was hooked.

Wow, Grant Park... I heard some names there around '68, due an anti Viet Nam war rally. Other than what I just said I don't remember much else about it.

Bruce--i don't remember much about the place either, although i went there numerous times over the six weeks I was in Milwaukee.  But, we were there to party and it was the 70s.

I do remember that the place seemed huge and had a river or stream running through it (we put a keg in the water to keep it cold, and as the party progressed, went to refill the cup and the keg had floated away). It seemed like we were out in the wilderness--hard to believe we were so close to a large city.

I saw them 4 times in the late 70s, early 80s. They were a good live band, but somewhat repetitive, especially Cronin's ad lib.

REO, my girlfriend, and 2 pints of Southern Comfort……ahhhhh the memories :D

Kevin had a good rock voice; but, seems like he liked writing those “ballads” a bit too much.

Southern Comfort?  That takes me back to high school days.

That's funny….I was 16 in 1979….I think Southern Comfort was a rite of passage for a high schooler.

• Like 1