Where's My Freaking Bluebell Ice Cream

Gilbert

Good stuff but there is still nothing better than what you can make yourself the old fashioned way!

Fully agree and we still have a manual like those.  Right of passage as a child to sit on the ice cream bucket whilst the older kids crank on a hot day.  Gotta be careful to keep the salt water out when you open the lid!  The PAW makes a wonderful fresh Arkansas peach.

Dave

Butter Pecan, thats spelled peh-khan to Yankees. Live about 40 miles from the creamery in Brenham. Went to the creamery back in '69 in 5th grade. And every decade since. While at Texas A&M we used to go on friday afternoon after classes. Strawberry Cheesecake is one of my favorites or Banana Pudding. Some flavors they only make for a limited time so get it while it is in store.

• Like 1

Should have mentioned...last week I had a hankering for an old fashioned ice cream soda while still treating my period without Bluebell Vanilla by gorging as often as possible.  Son ask me what I was doing, and I said making an old fashioned ice cream soda.  He said "What is that?"  Really hadn't realized how this delicacy had become unknown by multiple generations. 

And, I believe, the reason is simple.  Few things easier, but must be done with precision or you just have some chocolate flavored water with ice cream in it.  It doesn't lend itself to chains as they'd never get it right.  I had the good fortune to frequent a locally owned ice cream parlor when I was growing up and used to sit and watch Mr. Sparks make it.  He explained to me why he'd start by putting  just an inch or so of real soda fountain draft soda in the glass, then mixing the syrup.  I was so as not to "bruise" the soda when it was filled up.  Once mixed, he'd put in the precise amount of soda (chilled mug, of course), then follow with the ice cream which would finish the mix without have to stir.  Then, whipped cream and cherry.  Oh, so good...still is. 

Common as a milk shake back then.  Hard to come by today. 

Dave

So, I crow occasionally about the PAW.  For dam good reason.  She reads my mind.  See post #43 above.  I get home, open the freezer...fresh tub of Bluebell Butter Pecan, as well as reenforcements on chocolate and Homemade Vanilla. 

Gawd I love that woman!

Dave

• Like 1

No Blue Bell in Florida yet. I am anxiously awaiting its return. I'm missing out on my favorite desert.

For the curious...

Take 2 Archway Oatmeal cookies (the soft kind) and press them to the sides of a medium sized bowel. Spoon in 3 or 4 tablespoons of Stouffer's Harvest Apples (heated). Apply a couple of generous scoops of Blue Bell Butter Pecan ice cream and drizzle with warmed caramel sauce. OMG...

Hey Blue Bell... Let's get it together and get some of my favorite ice cream down to the sunshine state. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alirghty, DFW and Oakies...get in line early!

BRENHAM, Texas—Blue Bell plans to restart its main Texas ice cream-making plant in a few months as sales expand following listeria contamination and cleanup.
Blue Bell said Thursday that its products return to the Dallas, Fort Worth and Waco areas on Nov.2, plusOklahoma City and Tulsa,Okla.

Dave

Hmmmm, Austin, Tx is getting their Blue Bell, people I know in Tulsa, OK are getting their Blue Bell....... and I'm sitting here in the 10th largest city in the Nation, and still no Blue Bell. Nothing at HEB, Bulverde, TX,  not at the new HEB Market Place off Winding View, and not at the HEB Plus off Hwy281.

However, I did buy a Graeter's 12pack smorgasbord, per Coytee's recommendation. Darn good, creamy, and I like it...... but it's expensive stuff. The Cookies n Cream and Butter Pecan is best I've tasted.