WTB Rotel RMB-1095 or Balanced Amp

erikill

Finally making the jump into the balanced world - have a Marantz AV7702 on the way so now need some good amplification for my setup.

From what I've heard personally the RMB-1095s sound great on the RF-7s, but open to any other suggestions / available. Would prefer to pick up semi-locally (~150miles). Thanks everyone.

--Erik

• Like 1

There's one for sale on AVS (no affiliation)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/2148018-fs-rotel-1095-amplifier-black-version.html

My personal experience with Rotel and RF-7's, I thought it was too bright for my liking. Probably my best match was a B&K 200.5 which can be had for about the same money. Maybe even a little less. I also used a Marantz Pre, which worked well. The matching Marantz amps would work well too. They have good deals on refurbished ones (with warranty) on accessories4less.

Not entirely, the center sounds hollow a lot - I'm thinking the new pre will help somewhat using balanced, but when I've tried driving the RF-7s from the center block it seems weak.

Are you pleased with the Parasound driving your RC-7?

If so, why not another Parasound?

Bill

Probably my best match was a B&K 200.5 which can be had for about the same money.

Excellent with the RF-7 system.

Bill 

Now the fun part of trying to find one - been scouring ebay this afternoon :-)

Also look for a B&K Reference 7250.  It is about 95% same amp as the 200.5 but a couple of years older.

Bill

Also look for a B&K Reference 7250.  It is about 95% same amp as the 200.5 but a couple of years older.

Bill

No balanced inputs :-( But found one on ebay for a good price. Seriously Atlanta what's up with no 2nd hand amplifiers

On another note I found a set of RF-7 II's in cherry for $1550 in Gville, Fl - seems too high priced given what I've been looking at on the forums. Would definitely like to rotate those into my upstairs 2.0 DJ setup (and then re-purpose the RB-75s). Since I lost the bedroom 5.1, at least now I can do an office 2.0

No balanced inputs

Yeah, that is part of the 5% difference.  I forgot about that.

On another note I found a set of RF-7 II's in cherry for $1550 in Gville, Fl

Hmmmmmmmm. :unsure:  :D 

and then re-purpose the RB-75s

When I bought my 75's and then heard them, there was no way they were going to be used as surrounds.  They are incredible stereo "bookshelf" speakers.

Bill

and then re-purpose the RB-75s

When I bought my 75's and then heard them, there was no way they were going to be used as surrounds.  They are incredible stereo "bookshelf" speakers.

Bill

Oh I agree that's why I held onto them dear life when I was "asked" *cough* to sell the bedroom 5.1. I hinted at flying to Tampa to go and pick them up (RF-7s iis) - was not received well lol.

Haven't heard the sunfire amps with RF-7s? Plenty avail on ebay not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

Have you looked into the Emotiva line?

I have - sounded super bright to me on Klipsch horns - all subjective I suppose. I haven't heard the new XPA-5s but crazy that the prices have gone up so much over the past years (I remember when XPA-5s went on sale regularly for 699).

Haven't heard the sunfire amps with RF-7s? Plenty avail on ebay not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

I owned a Cinema Grand for a little while and it was a super amp.  Drove my 63's very well and have read/heard that they sound great with RF-7's.  I have not read/heard of consistent reliability problems and that may be due to high build quality and low heat.

Bill

The RMB 1095 is not a true balanced amp.  I would not worry about that though.  It is a great sounding 5 channel amplifier.  Your Marantz is likely not a balanced design either.  Keep in mind that just because XLR balanced inputs and outputs are provided does not mean a balanced design. 

Edited by bobdog
  • Like 1

The RMB 1095 is not a true balanced amp.  I would not worry about that though.  It is a great sounding 5 channel amplifier.  Your Marantz is likely not a balanced design either.  Keep in mind that just because XLR balanced inputs and outputs are provided does not mean a balanced design. 

Agreed - but does seem that XLR balanced is slightly better than RCA (at least in my house I've been trying to figure out where the feedback comes from with ground loops ,etc). Plus it just sounds cooler to use XLR inputs vc RCA :-P

• Like 1

Finally making the jump into the balanced world - have a Marantz AV7702 on the way so now need some good amplification for my setup.

From what I've heard personally the RMB-1095s sound great on the RF-7s, but open to any other suggestions / available. Would prefer to pick up semi-locally (~150miles). Thanks everyone.

--Erik

I have a Lexicon NT-512 (rebadged Bryston 9B) for sale... $1200 plus PayPal fees shipped to you. Pics are in the FS thread.