$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

Thanks for this thread! It's given me some great ideas on how to proceed with my project!

Could you provide some details on how you applied the Duratex - size of roller, length of the roller fuzz, etc. also, were there any concerns about ambient temps as you applied it?

I absolutely LOVE the aluminum trim you applied - makes it look very commercial/industrial.

• Like 1

I got the duratex from Parts Express. Most kits come with a 3" textured roller with a handle which works fine for smaller projects. They also have some 4" rollers you can purchase. These will require you to pick up a small handle for it but Lowes, Home Depot etc. have them. Very easy to apply. I usually thin the paint with water. You get a different texture depending on how thick you leave the Duratex. There are good instructions and it is not complicated. PE used to have a video which is helpful if you have not used it before. The interior of the La Scala's folded horn is a little tricky. I chose to spray that part with conventional paint (added a little texture). Others who have posted here used the small 3" roller and said they had good results in that small area. I have also been told there is sprayable Duratex. It dries fairly quick so second coat can go on in about an hour. Not sure about the temperature requirements. I will have to check. Other forum members have had much more experience than I have. Hopefully they will chime in too.

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread! It's given me some great ideas on how to proceed with my project!

Could you provide some details on how you applied the Duratex - size of roller, length of the roller fuzz, etc. also, were there any concerns about ambient temps as you applied it?

I absolutely LOVE the aluminum trim you applied - makes it look very commercial/industrial.

Checked on the ambient temp, and the instructions state that you should keep the temperature at or above 65. I don't see the video on parts express anymore but there are several pdf's that list info and finishing tips. They also have the handle for the 4" rollers now. I recommend using their rollers. I have tried to pick up similar ones but theirs work better. IMO Give it a shot. Easy to use.

• Like 2

The Carver I was using was the TFM-15 CB. Not as much power as your M4.0t, but was more than enough to drive the scalas. If the meters are any where near accurate, I was only pushing between 10 and 25 watts peak. The shop is pretty big (50,000 square feet) but it filled it with plenty of spl's. I have only cranked it a few times and waited til later in the day so as to not disrupt the ones trying to do actual work, so there wasn't much additional background noise to over come.

Still not sure what I will do with these, but it sure has been fun "rescuing" them. They will be fun to have around.

• Like 1

YOU are who I had to rescue these speakers from!

...and I am glad you did - they were just going to be sold for a little bit of profit.  Just pulling your leg a little bit, Sir Mookie :D

Plus, you are moving on to the dark side - tubes! From what I have read, they are mean over there.

So I am finding out.  Geeze, had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into LOL...    I do think it will be a fun adventure however.  Not really sure what to expect so I am trying to keep an open mind.  As good as my class A, Solid State?  Hmmm?  Well you know where I am from, "The Show-Me State"!!!  That SEP has some stiff competition :ph34r:

• Like 2

Checked on the ambient temp, and the instructions state that you should keep the temperature at or above 65. I don't see the video on parts express anymore but there are several pdf's that list info and finishing tips. They also have the handle for the 4" rollers now. I recommend using their rollers. I have tried to pick up similar ones but theirs work better. IMO Give it a shot. Easy to use.

Thank you so much for the replies! The information is really helpful as I proceed with my project, and I sincerely appreciate it!

If I may ask: where did you source the aluminum trim from? And did you consider any other types of corners for the trim?

MKP, I thought you might pick up on that! Especially since you also go by MCP! 

Decided to trim this bad boys out with aluminum angle! Almost done with the first one. iphone takes lousy pictures. I will take better ones when complete.

attachicon.gifa2.JPG

You been stalking me on the Carver site......lol lol

MKP :-)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the replies! The information is really helpful as I proceed with my project, and I sincerely appreciate it!

If I may ask: where did you source the aluminum trim from? And did you consider any other types of corners for the trim?

We do a lot of fabricating with aluminum in our shop and stock many tubes, angles etc. I just chose this 3/4" angle because I had enough on the shelf. (cant use anything larger as some areas are only covering the 3/4 plywood). I have seen other trims but just stuck with what was on hand and was cheap. Wish I had a better answer than "because it was there"!

• Like 1

MKP, I thought you might pick up on that! Especially since you also go by MCP! 

Decided to trim this bad boys out with aluminum angle! Almost done with the first one. iphone takes lousy pictures. I will take better ones when complete.

attachicon.gifa2.JPG

You been stalking me on the Carver site......lol lol

MKP :-)

Never been on the Carver site. You gave up that info somewhere along the line on one of your posts! No stalking. :ph34r:

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

next thing to do is make covers for these. Plan to use outside this weekend , and there is a chance for rain (maybe even snow). Set up a cut file and ready to roll. Yes, I cut fabric on a cnc machine too.

Anyone interested in a E33 woofer? Runs very quiet! Actually no sound at all. Looks in good shape, cone and surround all intact . This was a replacement somewhere along the line. It does not have as tall of a gasket as the others which may have been it's demise if it was slapping against the motorboard.

The x-overs found a good home, this woofer needs one too.

post-60988-0-76920000-1447775817_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl

Anyone interested in a E33 woofer? Runs very quiet!  Actually no sound at all.

ROTFLMBO!  That was funny!  You should be in sales.  :lol:

+++

Just for documenting purposes, thanks to Sir Mookie I now have the aforementioned AL crossovers.  They do look rough but they can be cleaned up, and since they work I'll try to find a project for them.

post-58280-0-36560000-1447781383_thumb.jpost-58280-0-16680000-1447781400_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

Those are some sweeeet covers. You should make A/C unit covers.... I was looking for one to cover my new A/C unit... none are the right size. Well any way you did a hell of a job on those scalas and it kept them out of the trash......I hate to think of all the repairable speakers that have gone in to the trash. I have saved a few myself when my kids were young to make them systems.    Rick

• Like 1