$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

I try not to fall in love with my "stuff."  It seems like it always costs me more money. 

If you think falling in love with your stuff can get expensive, try falling in love with a woman . . .

Lol Reminds me of a sailing term I heard once- Women are like sailboats, the hull is cheap but the rigging is expensive... :lol:

I plan to use a pair of AB x overs for this LaScala rebuild based solely on the fact that I have a set in good working order and the AL's in these has seen better days. I know neither of them are very highly regarded but what is the difference between the two? I would guess they compensate somehow for the larger squawker horn in the LS vs the Belles. These are going to be used in my shop, so no critical listening and definitely on a budget so not looking to be talked out of it, just wondering what the design objectives were. Thanks

the AL's in these has seen better days

naw, Mookie.  They just need a good "power washing".  Let em' dry, good as new...

Didnt we all take a solemn oath to never discuss that again...  :sad:

I remember that thread! Matt, no more mentioning "power washing" x overs!

• Like 1

I plan to use a pair of AB x overs for this LaScala rebuild based solely on the fact that I have a set in good working order and the AL's in these has seen better days. I know neither of them are very highly regarded but what is the difference between the two? I would guess they compensate somehow for the larger squawker horn in the LS vs the Belles. T

From the Crites Site:

In around 1983, we have the crossovers for the Klipschorn, LaScala, and Belle Klipsch becoming separate designs.  We have the AK for the Klipschorn, the AL for the LaScala and the AB for the Belle Klipsch.  At that point also, the Klipschorn crossover became a two section crossover with the woofer section mounted inside the woofer door.  We do not build the AK, AL, or AB crossovers since they are generally considered to be "not the best".  By around 1989, the design of these crossovers had changed (evolved) to the AK-3, AL-3 and AB-2 crossovers.  We do build those.

Your question still doesn't get answered, "what exactly is the difference," or the follow-up question to me which is "why are these considered to be 'bad' XO's?"

Edited by wvu80

I plan to use a pair of AB x overs for this LaScala rebuild based solely on the fact that I have a set in good working order and the AL's in these has seen better days. I know neither of them are very highly regarded but what is the difference between the two? I would guess they compensate somehow for the larger squawker horn in the LS vs the Belles. T

From the Crites Site:

In around 1983, we have the crossovers for the Klipschorn, LaScala, and Belle Klipsch becoming separate designs.  We have the AK for the Klipschorn, the AL for the LaScala and the AB for the Belle Klipsch.  At that point also, the Klipschorn crossover became a two section crossover with the woofer section mounted inside the woofer door.  We do not build the AK, AL, or AB crossovers since they are generally considered to be "not the best".  By around 1989, the design of these crossovers had changed (evolved) to the AK-3, AL-3 and AB-2 crossovers.  We do build those.

Your question still doesn't get answered, "what exactly is the difference," or the follow-up question to me which is "why are these considered to be 'bad' XO's?"
I knew that much. That is why I upgraded my Belles and ended up with these xovers as extras. They did not sound bad when I switched, they were just nearly 30 years old and not highly regarded, so I switched to Bob's A4500 (plus the 125 tweeters). I just thought that if I had to choose between the more worn ALs vs the AB I have, I would switch them out. Check out the photo. This is after Matt cleaned them and I tried to "power wash" with an air hose. Sorry you updated before I posted. I don't think they were considered BAD, just less desirable. But I am still curious about what the difference is. They look very different.

post-60988-0-84460000-1445822602_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl

I knew that much. That is why I upgraded my Belles and ended up with these xovers as extras. They did not sound bad when I switched, they were just nearly 30 years old and not highly regarded

You knew more than I did, and you are right, those two XO's look pretty different from each other.  That's funny you "power washed" them.  I had a picture in my head of you out in the driveway power washing your car rims with the XO's laying there beside them.  :lol:  

If they work you might want to keep those AL's with the LS's.

PM sent.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

This may all be a case of just some loose wires. Fingers crossed, buck-twenty-five fully functioning???

You're dreaming.  :lol:

If you think about it, how about posting some pictures, especially of the XO's?  I bet some people here smarter than me would like to take a good look at them. 

I bought my second pair of La Scalas for $500 because one wasn't working.  Loose wire in the crossover. 

Edited by John Albright

Spoke with Bob Crites and he said feel free to use the AB in the Scala. This xover doesn't limit the woofer in any way. I saw that on the schematic I posted earlier but wasn't sure. Sound strange but hey what do I know. He's not exactly sure how it will sound but it's worth a shot. It's his fault I have the AB's left over since he recommended not updating them and replacing them in my Belles about a year ago. Got to get this party moving so I have officially given up on the bondo/sanding stage and will start with the Duratex shortly. They actually have square(ish) corners again!

post-60988-0-55420000-1446852241_thumb.j

• Like 2

I have been out of town the past two weekends and actually am heading to Chicago tomorrow to visit one of my sons. That is why I am trying to get a coat on tonight! I have the mid painted and ready and actually have all of the drivers / crossovers wired up and working on my dining room table. Kinda need to get them into the cabinet. Pretty sure I cant turn back now.

post-60988-0-06900000-1446853490_thumb.j

• Like 2