what is this Jolida thing?

Matthews

Considering a go with some tubes.  Have never tried them before.  Not easily convinced that tubes are really that much better than SS?  

Came across this Jolida listing.  However, I have no idea what I am looking at...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262108681459?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Help? 

Tube amps are know for class A style output, even ordered harmonic which deliver a warm sound.  Jolida is a well respected brand and at $600, It is a good grab.  Some the tube guys will chime in with much more info than I can give you.  It should be a safe purchase that can be flipped if you don't like it.

• Like 1

I would pass on it as it's been modded and things taken off of it. There are others on there that are better fits. My concern is that I wouldn't know if the person modding it was doing it correctly. I am by no means highly educated, and would ask a few on here who build to see what they have and can sell you.

There is definitely a difference in tubes than SS.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

I've an FX-10 and totally worth what I paid.  But they are somewhat variable in build quality from what I understand so YMMV.  Got mine for 200.00 and a change of tubes and it's awesome.  Drives K'horns nicely or any high efficiency speaker.  Looks nice as well.

Dave

• Like 1

New Jolida shipped?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jolida-Audio-FX10-Integrated-Tube-Amp-in-Black-/121543943911?hash=item1c4c9566e7:g:GiUAAOxyVaBSq0z7

I like this one.  20 wpc may do what I need?  This 2 and 8 watt per channel business scares the creepers out of me, particularly at these costs!   My SS pushes the first 20 watts in class A. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jolida-JD102CRC-tube-amplifier-DEMO-/262064554174?hash=item3d0443c0be:g:vqUAAOSwa39UrJO-

Edited by Matthews

That's the same model I posted, but not new in box, but has upgraded NOS tubes. Some will say it doesn't matter on the tubes, some will say it does.

I own a Yaqin MC-10L which is a Chinese brand also, and gets good reviews,and a few others own Yaqins.

I'd go with the Jolida if you're comfortable that it's new and you could sell if not happy with it. Just remember there's a break in period for the amp and tubes, so the sound will change (should enhance). The good thing about it, is it will be pretty much plug and play. And having the remote is a nice little touch.

If you're not in a hurry, try ampsandsound.com and Justin, or Maynard (tubefanatic) who are on this site. They custom build and may be able to help you. There are others on here that do the same, but I do not know them.

what speakers are you going to use the amp with?

I have forte II's and they are being pushed with 2 different amps that I play around with, an Aiqin Audio BL-02 that is 8 watts per channel in triode mode, and the Yaqin MC-10L which is rated at 42 watts per channel. Both amps push the speakers nicely with the smaller one not getting as loud, but loud enough to where you'll turn it down over long periods of loud listening.

If you're not in a hurry, try ampsandsound.com and Justin, or Maynard (tubefanatic) who are on this site. They custom build and may be able to help you. There are others on here that do the same, but I do not know them.

Thank you, Jim.  I am in no hurry.  Have been thinking about this for some time now.  Always said however, I would never do it !!!  Not sure what has changed my mind.  Perhaps just the desire for change.  Been searching for a new pre for a month or so now and all of a sudden decided to look into tubes. 

Thank you, Jim.  I am in no hurry.  Have been thinking about this for some time now.  Always said however, I would never do it !!!  Not sure what has changed my mind.  Perhaps just the desire for change.  Been searching for a new pre for a month or so now and all of a sudden decided to look into tubes. 

If you speak to either of them, they will take the time to go over things with you. Room size, speakers, seating distance, listening habits, and then they will recommend a few things for you. I know Maynard had spoken to me about room compression testing also.

I can say on my end, once I got the 1st little amp, I was hooked on tubes. See if anyone on the forum will let you preview their set ups so you can hear the differences and then make a decision. I didn't have that option, so I bought blindly. Didn't do bad, but having 2 different amps and the different sounds has helped me to distinguish what the different types sound like and has helped me decide the route I want to go.

I only spent between the two amps $450.00, one was new, one was used. The one with less power actually to me sounds better and is a self biasing SET amp, the other is PP and needs biasing, and once set up with biasing sounds very nice.

• Like 1

What speakers will you be using with the tube amp?

Currently running a pair of Chorus.  Also, will need a pre-out for a sub if I go the integrated route.  Would prefer just a straight 2-channel amp.

With the Chorus I don't think you'll need a sub. If you do want to though, I think some on here have hooked into the sub's high input with the amp and run out to the speakers from the sub. I haven't done that,but am under the impression that you'll still get the tube sound from the hook up. I like the bass response I get from both amps and on the integrated have 2 turntables, cd player, and my computer with an external hard drive running. When I feel like using the smaller amp, I just use an audio switch.

• Like 1

What speakers will you be using with the tube amp?

Currently running a pair of Chorus. Also, will need a pre-out for a sub if I go the integrated route. Would prefer just a straight 2-channel amp.

With those you will be amazed what 20-25 watts will do. My speakers are just over 100dB efficient and my amps are 22 SET watts. I had to get rid of my McIntosh preamp and go passive because I don't need any gain. My previous amps were EL34 push pull and put out 45 watts. I had to set their input gain at -25dB to have usable volume control. Edited by Wardsweb
  • Like 1

With the Chorus I don't think you'll need a sub. If you do want to though

...actually have had the sub turned off ever since the introduction of my new Chorus build.  Love these things !!!  Just want to be able to turn it on when needed.

That's right, you just redid the cabinets on yours right?

You inspired me to redo my forte II's.

I've picked the veneer and have it here and am going with these covers now instead of the black.post-59264-0-81700000-1445657841_thumb.jpost-59264-0-29700000-1445657815_thumb.jpost-59264-0-87740000-1445657891_thumb.j

I like how they look with the black speakers, but I am really looking forward to the Brazillian Rosewood veneer.

• Like 3

I'm also contemplating building speaker stands to raise them up to about 8-12 inches off the floor so the mids will be more ear level to me. Just a simple box that they can sit on with the risers removed. I will most likely do them in the same veneer.

• Like 1