what is this Jolida thing?

Matthews

These are a pair of Eric Mandeville built JFL Horus inspired SET amps with a 5AR4/5687/2A3 tube palate. They are one of the most articulate and well balanced of the flock, and you will get to hear them early in the festivities. Along with the Welborne DRDs, the Opera Consonance 211s, the Yamamoto AO8, and the WE 91A, they reside at the top end of the SET amps we will have for sampling.

And you won't be buying that single ended KT88 amp....poor build, poor iron, poor quality, and poor topology don't make a good amp, even when it is cheap, cheap. Your puppy won't let it in the house, even slathered with bacon grease!

Willie will have his DHT 26-26 DC 45 featured at the gathering for $600, and he has a thread on it at the Gateway forum. I think we will have it up first on Saturday on the Altec Model 19s or RF7s. A word of warning - Willie and Mark love to talk about builds, and they will regale you for hours about tubes. They are as passionate about tube gear as anyone I have ever met, and they walk the walk.

• Like 1

Thoughts on this pre, for starters.  If I am going to do this, should probably go all in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252139657531?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

:ph34r: secretly have my eye on a tube amp on the Gon as well :ph34r:

If you do an integrated, you won't need the pre. It already has the inputs,volume control, and some have the remotes.

• Like 1

If you do an integrated

I prefer a stand alone, SET amp (better yet, mono pair).  My $600 budget has pretty much gone to the wayside.  This is going to be costly :wacko:

edit: see what you all have done LOL.  Decision based on forum member PM advice.

Edited by Matthews

Unless you just get a normal stereo receiver and use the rca jacks for the amps. If you're into Yamaha, get a used one from them for less than $100.00 and use those inputs and remote.

The outputs are going to go through the tubes either way, so you'll still get the tube sound, and save about $150.00 plus. Use it on the SET

• Like 1

Just my opinion.

When I spoke to Justin,he recommended me getting something like a NAD pre, and then running it through the amp. I personally though like the interaction with the amp and don't mind as much getting up and down. But that's just me.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

Unless you just get a normal stereo receiver and use the rca jacks for the amps

Yeah, I use a Rotel RC-1070 pre now.  It has very good sound IMO.  Most likely will stick with it for now (concentrate on the right amp 1st).

Just have some extra time on my hands and find myself looking around at different options...

Here is the main listening room

OMGosh, look at all of those tubes !!! 

...and those two beauties with wood sides and aluminum front, there they are :D - I want those

what about this little guy? 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-toolshed-audio-renaissance4-pure-class-a-single-ended-stereo-amplifier-2015-10-23-amplifiers-53228-greenfield-wi