Tweeking my set up

stygz

So I am getting my system honed in at the new house. I have so far upgraded my PB1000 to a PC2000. I have also had issues with wifi connectivity with my Denon. I have since bought  a wifi extender that allows me to simply plug it into the wall and use an Ethernet cable from the unit to the Denon. So far so good. After some research I was hearing the Denon's wifi is weak.....anyway a cheap and easy fix.

I have ran Audyssey:

FL -7.0

FR -7.0

SW -10

SL -5.0

SR -5.5

Audyssey set my main speakers to large, center small, surrounds small. Center XO 80, surrounds 60hz, mains 40hz I changed all speakers to small with XO to 80hz. The SW port is firing in the corner about 12'' away. I read a Q & A on Audyssey and it seems I may want to lower the SW volume to around 9 or 10 o'clock thus allowing Audyssey to raise my SW trim to something closet to a -3.5db. At that point maybe bump it a couple db to preference. I do have one question as to toeing in my RF62's. How much?​ I am guessing I am around a 20 degree toe in now. Here is a pic of the set up. I know the tv is mounted a touch high for the center. The electricians mounted the outlet too high and I did my best to mount the tv as low as I could to not see the outlet covers. I am considering a taller tv stand that would get the center up about 6-9" higher and using this stand elsewhere. The surrounds are inceiling due to lack of mounting options.

The PC2000 has been a huge upgrade! Much more powerful bass. I have not really got to test it as we have a newborn baby.

post-53857-0-21440000-1445885968_thumb.j

post-53857-0-22000000-1445885984_thumb.j

The mains don't really look like a 20 degree toe in from that perspective, but it may just be the photo....I was going to ask about the couch on the right, and whether the right main was firing into the couch?  Can you move the couch out a bit, and toe in a bit more?  Are you considering any acoustic panels on the walls or ceiling?  I think it would be worthwhile.  Lots of folks here to help you with that.  Congrats on the baby btw!

• Like 1

I like the TV being up a little higher, just like you have it.  When I sit in my recliner, up is where my eyes go.  When the TV is lower I have to tilt my head forward and down so my glasses can focus in the center of the TV.  This is a minority opinion, I think most people will tell you to have it lower.

My only other comment is I wonder about having the center speaker so far back on the table.  I prefer to have the speaker closer to the front edge so there is no boundary interference.  I don't know that I could actually hear that bounce, it's just a preference.

OK, it's a quirk.  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

The mains don't really look like a 20 degree toe in from that perspective, but it may just be the photo....I was going to ask about the couch on the right, and whether the right main was firing into the couch?  Can you move the couch out a bit, and toe in a bit more?  Are you considering any acoustic panels on the walls or ceiling?  I think it would be worthwhile.  Lots of folks here to help you with that.  Congrats on the baby btw!

I think it is the photo. I chose the speaker spacing so it would not fire into the couch on the side. It barely accomplishes that. While that couch is a secondary viewing seat, if I were to move it I would have too much of a viewing angle. I have not put any thought into panels. Nothing has been hung up as of yet. I may have to look into that.

I like the TV being up a little higher, just like you have it.  When I sit in my recliner, up is where my eyes go.  When the TV is lower I have to tilt my head forward and down so my glasses can focus in the center of the TV.  This is a minority opinion, I think most people will tell you to have it lower.

My only other comment is I wonder about having the center speaker so far back on the table.  I prefer to have the speaker closer to the front edge so there is no boundary interference.  I don't know that I could actually hear that bounce, it's just a preference.

OK, it's a quirk.  :rolleyes:

Moving would be a problem when the little one starts to move. However It may be a different situation if we get the taller tv stand.

Looking at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whalen-furniture-high-console-tv-stand-for-flat-panel-tvs-up-to-65-cherry/1109908.p?id=1218222415310&

Moving would be a problem when the little one starts to move. However It may be a different situation if we get the taller tv stand.

You are quite right, I had completely forgotten!  It's been a long time since I've had a little one around the house.

You start out with things like pictures, lamps and other edibles close to the ground, and as the little one grows, NOTHING that can break or tip is close to the floor and gets moved up proportional as they grow.  Boys especially climb everything, which would include you and your wife.  :)

On a serious note, you might want to consider getting an anti-tip kit to anchor your RF-62's to the wall.

Edited by wvu80

I like the TV being up a little higher, just like you have it. When I sit in my recliner, up is where my eyes go. When the TV is lower I have to tilt my head forward and down so my glasses can focus in the center of the TV. This is a minority opinion, I think most people will tell you to have it lower.

My only other comment is I wonder about having the center speaker so far back on the table. I prefer to have the speaker closer to the front edge so there is no boundary interference. I don't know that I could actually hear that bounce, it's just a preference.

OK, it's a quirk. :rolleyes:

Looking at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whalen-furniture-high-console-tv-stand-for-flat-panel-tvs-up-to-65-cherry/1109908.p?id=1218222415310&

ive had speakers since the day my son was born and I've never had an issue with him messing with speakers. In fact now he gets onto his friends to stay away from daddy's speakers. You can teach them. It's easy.
  • Like 1

I am considering a taller tv stand that would get the center up about 6-9" higher and using this stand elsewhere.

Have you considered a riser of some sort which would definitely be more cost effective?

http://www.amazon.com/Syracuse-TV-Risers-LARGE-BLACK/dp/B00AQ8IQ70

Put your center speaker on top and use the lower area for one of your components.

Bill

post-24680-0-97160000-1445894260_thumb.j

ive had speakers since the day my son was born and I've never had an issue with him messing with speakers. In fact now he gets onto his friends to stay away from daddy's speakers. You can teach them. It's easy.

Ha!  I had Magnapans, 3 feet wide and 5 feet high when my first son was born.  They were sold just about when he was born.  The problem wasn't the child, I couldn't get my wife to leave them alone! 

In her defense, she didn't climb them, but she was always putting plants near them which need watering, moving them, cleaning them.  Uggh.  :wacko:

Any of you have issues with internet connectivity with Denon? This 2100 has been a real PITA! I am even having issues with the extender and the wired connection. I have called Denon twice so far. Probably do it again tomorrow. I have tried two differnet routers, an Ethernet cable, and the wifi extender. I am almost to the point to buy a different receiver :angry: 

Any of you have issues with internet connectivity with Denon?

I don't have the Denon.  Have you Googled it yet to see if this a known problem?  Does Denon have a User's Group on its forum?  You might have a warranty issue.

Firmware is up to date as of yesterday. Basically The denon will connect to pandora or any internet streaming and play for about 30 to 60 min. Then it drops connection. At this point it will not reconect even if I turn off the unit. In most cases it will reconnect the next morning without issue. My router is about 30 ft away and shows a 100% signal. I tried a wifi extender plugged into the wall directly behind it (both Ethernet cable and wifi) both ways dropped the signal. I even use an ipad connected to the same network in the same area as where the denon lost its connection and can surf the web. I have called my ISP and the maker of the router and extender and they cannot find issue. I have called Denon now twice also. They really do not seem to believe there could be a problem with the receiver. they didn't even now the 2100 will not pick up 5ghz wifi....I found that out on a Denon forum. Then receiver seems to always have done this but I simply thought it was Pandora itself. I should note this has happened it both my old house and the one we just moved into.

I am going to call Denon and Crutchfield today.

Thinking about trying a Yamaha or Onkyo.

• Like 1

Ok, some more experimenting this morning:

I turned on DHCP in the network settings. I unplugged the AVR, Router, and extender for about 5-10 min. I tried to reconnect with SUCCESS to the main router NOT the extender. I have been playing Pandora almost 2 hours without incident. However, will turn off AVR until this evening and retry it. I do suspect this evening it will not work completely or for a short time and then quit. Its funny when wifi goes out I can work around by using Bluetooth from my iPhone using the network that the AVR cannot seem to connect to.

On another note I reran Audyssey with some adjustments to the SW. I adjusted the SW volume to around 10 o'clock and got the level from -10 to -4.5db.

In the Speakers - Speaker -  manual - speaker config I changed all speakers to Small. Also in the manual menu I changed the XO to 80hz all.

I noticed if I go back to the Audyssey speaker menu it my setting do not seem to carry over from where I made adjustments in the manual menu. I assume my adjustments have been made and are playing and the Audyssey menu is just showing the results from the last test.

I noticed if I go back to the Audyssey speaker menu it my setting do not seem to carry over from where I made adjustments in the manual menu. I assume my adjustments have been made and are playing and the Audyssey menu is just showing the results from the last test.

That is how mine works.  Audyssey gives you the results from your last test, while manual keeps your adjusted settings.  It's handy in case you want to go back and tweak directly from your last Audyssey settings (if you suspect you hosed something up in your manual tweaks). 

• Like 1