Keep these kids' families and friends in your prayers

avguytx

In the last 10 days here in Central Arkansas, there have been 2 major wrecks involving teens that were killed in the crashes.  The first one in Batesville involving 6 high school boys, none of which were 16.  They were in a 2014 Mustang GT convertible that the original engine had been removed and a "racing engine" installed by the drivers uncle who happens to own the track up there (I believe is what I heard).  They hit a tree at 135 miles an hour, then another tree, ejecting the 4 guys in the back seat killing two of them.  One other is at Arkansas Children's Hospital having undergone brain surgery and it's said recovery is slim.  The other is at UAMS in Little Rock also, I believe.  Only the front seat driver and passenger had their seat belts on.  Their funerals were last week.

The recent one was 4 teenage girls from Cabot, AR that were driving late Saturday night in a Jeep, I believe, and lost control on the back highway and also hit a tree ejecting all 4.  They initially found two of the girls but later found out there were four in the Jeep and went back and found the other two farther away.  Not sure if any had seat belts on.  Two were 19 and had just graduated and the others were 15 and 16, I believe.  Over a thousand people attended a memorial service yesterday.

Tragic is all I can say.  I only hope teenagers all around have seen or heard what happened to these young ones and can learn from it.  If anything, please wear seat belts.  It's sad that young lives were lost.  

Sending prayers, sorry for such tragic loss.

We had two kids at my daughter's school that died in the last week. One 15 yr old died in a dune buggy rollover accident and the other took his life. Nothing worse than seeing these young kids taken way too early. Hopefully there is some way we can reach these kids to keep more tragedies of this sort in the future.

It's always tragic in whatever way it happens when a young life is cut short.  Whether it be a car wreck, shootings, suicide, or some other act, it's just sad to hear about it.  My wife knew a few of the families in the Batesville wreck as she gew up there and also still works in the town. I work for a school so there's always someone that seems to have know the others in some roundabout way plus it affecting them just by hearing of someone their age dying.

This is heartbreaking.  

Sure a kid can get into trouble with a Citroen 2CV, but crazy horsepower magnifies mistakes with tragic consequences.

While in grad school, I subbed at a high school in Bloomfield Hills, MI.  The student parking lot daily contained Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and Corvettes, which I felt was irresponsible.  Not many high schoolers can resist the peer pressure to, "Let's see what this'll do . . . "  while making a lunch run.  Its a miracle there weren't more problems.

That said from someone who drove a 150 hp Corvair powered '61 VW bug in college . . . pass anything but a gas station.  What were my parents thinking?

Edited by DizRotus