MC252 vs VRD

whatever55

I have an opportunity to purchase a McIntosh MC252 or VRD's.

Things that do not matter... Cost or power. Both have enough power.

I am looking for a comparison sound wise.

Thank You

Hey whatever55

Why not buy both and judge for yourself and then keep the one that you like best...?

mike tn   :)

• Like 1

Mike, (Whatever), does the 252 have balanced inputs?

You still using a Dx38?

If the McIntosh has balanced inputs I wonder if it would be a better match for the Dx with respect to hum?

For all I know it might be a more important match from the preamp to the Dx....  I don't know.

I've got RCA (Peach) on the preamp going into the DX and XLR going into the amps (Crown)

I DO have some hum but can turn the gains down to where it's inaudible.

Just tossing some ideas out.

I wonder if Craig could modify a VRD to have XLR inputs?

I have owned both and they both sound very good.  It is hard to describe the sound differences since one is high end solid state and the other tube.

I sold them both and if I had a choice to get one of the them back it would probably be the VRDs.  But I have a specific application in mind.  I could easily have a different application where the Mac would be better.

How do you plan to use one or the other?

I have owned both and they both sound very good.  It is hard to describe the sound differences since one is high end solid state and the other tube.

I sold them both and if I had a choice to get one of the them back it would probably be the VRDs.  But I have a specific application in mind.  I could easily have a different application where the Mac would be better.

How do you plan to use one or the other?

To power EV DH1A's mounted on a 402.  Or if I can find an OTL amp maybe that.

For that I would suggest netiher.  You need an amp with gain controls #1.  An MC-252 is way to powerful and overkill.  The 252 and VRDs have no ability to control gain.  You are going to need an EQ or active processor for a K402 horn..........so I think you can find better choices for this application.